difference between inner and outer rear wheel wells?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
OK, maybe I am just and idiot here.
I want to do a mini tub on my dart. I came across a post where a guy used replacement well housing and just welded them together, versus fabbing.

I found a site that sells wheel wells,
http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d1884.html

But I am confused on the difference between inner and outer.
I am looking at the dart now, and I see a rear well, its under the car...so to me that means inner.
Aide from that it is the fender.

Am I missing something?

OK, maybe I am just and idiot here.
I want to do a mini tub on my dart. I came across a post where a guy used replacement well housing and just welded them together, versus fabbing.

I found a site that sells wheel wells,
http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d1884.html

But I am confused on the difference between inner and outer.
I am looking at the dart now, and I see a rear well, its under the car...so to me that means inner.
Aide from that it is the fender.

Am I missing something?

The rear wheelwell consists of two pieces. Inner and outer. The inner is the piece that you see in the trunk near the floor and where the hinge support welds to. The outer is the one inside the 1/4 panel. The outer is welded to the wheel lip of the 1/4.

My son and I just mini-tubbed his 69 Dart.. All we did was move the inner fender well over to the frame, then filled the 2 1/2 inch gap, with a strip of old hood material.

I think there's a thread here, perhaps some-one has the link...

If not, my son has pics on his phone,, I could post tommorrow..

It's pretty easy, just spend some time looking at it, think of removing the 6 or so spot welds on the hinge support, you'll see how to shorten the support, then split the wheel well, cutting along one of the inner-most "lines" they conveniently supply (the "lines" are easiest to see from underneath). Cut alongside frame, trim off a coupla inches of tin, weld the inner wheel well to frame,, fill the gap with tin strip.. I sure hope that makes some sense,, I hope there's a link ?

Thanks, I see it now. Drr. I was being a bonehead, I shoulda seen that before.
Thank you all.
and thanks inertia for the directions.

Just learning as I go.

Crackedback, Great Job on all the tubs, That slideshow is perfect,, thnx ,,

I wish I'd seen that before we did ours,, but it's exactly like we did..

-
Back