Differences in slant six

-

Tnplumber

Reaction score
Will any slant six bolt up to a 3sp manual? Not sure if the cranks are different for manuals and automatics?

thanks,

Scott

Will any slant six bolt up to a 3sp manual? Not sure if the cranks are different for manuals and automatics?

thanks,

Scott

all the slant sixes have the same bell housing bolt pattern...

not all 6's are drilled for a manual tho... but the cranks are the same pre-75

The simple answer is yes but there are some differences that need to be overcome. Judging by your avatar, it's not a '67 and earlier crank, correct? '68 -up cranks came in both automatic and manual versions. The manual cranks had a final machine process that finished the end of the crank for a pilot bushing. Most automatics didn't get this final process. The cure is to use a magnum engine pilot bearing assy (with spacer ring). It fits into the convertor snout hole. Problem solved. If you're using a '67 and earlier crank, you'll need to have the pilot hole machined to the proper diameter for a bushing or if you're cheap like me, cut a bushing down to fit the smaller hole on the automatic crank. I run a brake cylinder hone inside the hole just to get it even and then do some measuring with a caliper to see what you need for diameter and then cut the bushing to fit. You still want the bushing to measure a bit bigger than the hole so it fits tight and won't spin on you.

The simple answer is yes but there are some differences that need to be overcome. Judging by your avatar, it's not a '67 and earlier crank, correct? '68 -up cranks came in both automatic and manual versions. The manual cranks had a final machine process that finished the end of the crank for a pilot bushing. Most automatics didn't get this final process. The cure is to use a magnum engine pilot bearing assy (with spacer ring). It fits into the convertor snout hole. Problem solved. If you're using a '67 and earlier crank, you'll need to have the pilot hole machined to the proper diameter for a bushing or if you're cheap like me, cut a bushing down to fit the smaller hole on the automatic crank. I run a brake cylinder hone inside the hole just to get it even and then do some measuring with a caliper to see what you need for diameter and then cut the bushing to fit. You still want the bushing to measure a bit bigger than the hole so it fits tight and won't spin on you.

the slant would be going in my 78 d100 truck. I found a great deal on a never fired Jasper long block. I was wondering if it would be a bolt on to my 3sp manual that is already in the truck. Not sure what to do. So I would need a magnum pilot bearing, if the engine is 68 and up?

-
Back