Different 1972 Duster

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
While researching, I came across this car. It is different than any I have seen. The vinyl top is more of a landau style and it has a hood emblem and tail panel emblem as well. Not sure whether I like or dislike the whole layout, it's just different. I was thinking the top could have been a dealer install easy enough. But then it has a 72 rear marker and a 71? style front that appears to be clear like a clearance light. This is a weird combo car for sure. It is listed on Barrett Jackson, not that that it implies anything is right about it!

1972 PLYMOUTH DUSTER 2 DOOR COUPE88921- Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

88921_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
88921_Rear_3-4_Web (1).jpg
88921_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

88921_Interior_Web.jpg

The hood emblem and tail panel emblem are most likely off an earlier valiant. Front side markers on dusters were orange they probably were replaced by clear flush mounted ones instead of new fenders. The vinyl top i dont recognize as any a body but maybe a later 80's chrysler. And the front bumper and rubber bumper guards are off of another vehicle too.

IMO Doesnt seem like a bad car besides the vinyl top.

Seems to me it's using a combination of Gold Duster trim and full vinyl trim.

The front piece looks a lot like the rear trim from a Gold Duster.
I see what your saying now, i was just throw off by the fact that the vinyl part( the black) goes down the back half of the roof and not the front.

They couldn't get the radio to work? 13k seems low for that type of restoration. I like the spine on the trunk too. You can keep the hood ornament...

It looks like one of the odd variants that you'd find in Mexico or down in South America, they did some interesting mixing-and-matching in those markets.

It's likely just someone's (or some dealer's) home-cooked version of a luxury Duster though, in the style of the later Valiant Brougham. Swapping the front side lights for Imperial-esque cornering lights is the icing on the cake! Seriously not for me though. :rolleyes:

Seems to me it's using a combination of Gold Duster trim and full vinyl trim.

The front piece looks a lot like the rear trim from a Gold Duster.

It is the trim you are referring to. I have one in my shop and that is why I was wondering WTH! Yes if you ad the standard trim, you come up with this.

Front bumper looks like '73 Duster. The vinyl top could be a combination of standard vinyl trim below the window and 1/2-top, like dart Sports had, which left room for the over-the-roof side stripe.Except they vinyled the back 1/2 instead of the front 1/2. (Is that what you are referring too as well?) Nice car, but too "pieced together".

Between me and my brother we have owned a half dozen or so Dusters back when they were just used cars. My memory might be wrong but wasn't there multiple vinyl top option? Back half, front half and full and also some ended at the top of the windshield pillars and some going all the way to the bottom of the windshield. Wish I had pics of our Dusters just to refresh my memory.

What a shame they put there ruining touches to it. Looks like it was a nice car until they came home from the salvage yard and added their "unique whip" styling

-
Back