different hp from different years 318

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me this. If i have a 68 318 that i am building that is rated at 230hp stock and do the simple mods like 262 cam carb and intake, would it produce the same hp as a 72 318, which is rated at 150hp, with the same mods?
Maybe a dumb question but i thought id ask.

The HP ratings ('68 was Gross and '72 was Net) were different for the two engines that is why there is so much difference in HP. Both engines produced the same basic HP rated the same way.

Chuck

Can someone explain to me this. If i have a 68 318 that i am building that is rated at 230hp stock and do the simple mods like 262 cam carb and intake, would it produce the same hp as a 72 318, which is rated at 150hp, with the same mods?
Maybe a dumb question but i thought id ask.

I don't know about the heads but my guess is that the 72, 318 had lower compression than the 68, 318.

ALSO engine HP was rated different for 72 than in 68.

To answer your question (I think). With the same parts used you could build both the same.

I don't know about the heads but my guess is that the 72, 318 had lower compression than the 68, 318.

ALSO engine HP was rated different for 72 than in 68.

To answer your question (I think). With the same parts used you could build both the same.

Correct, 72 and newer had 8.5:1 compression while older 318's had 9:1 compression.

Well in 71 they did change the ratings and methods, but in 71 the emissions started to get more in force, and in 72 there was an even larger drop in HP. You had less compression, a little smaller cam IE less overlap, ignition timing curves were much less agressive. This was done to reduce NOX. You even started to see floor jet EGR to reburn the exhaust gas too. This was a big hit and I think more in Calif the the other states in the early years. Fuel was getting very leaned out too and the introduction to the electronic ignition system was installed too. Smog AIR pumps and a freeway of vacuam lines o control how and when the advance systems and fuel systems managed spark timing etc.

Anyway that was why they felt so much weaker than the warlier cars and could be tuned to run stronger but not as strong.

PS I had my smog License when I was 18 in CA. I did over 10000 smogs in 20 years. I saw all the games that not only the manufactors did but the FEDS and Calif state too. Some cars like Imports had so much lower standards. Part of the reason why US cars were so crappy in the 80s and Toyota and Honda took off. Well this is another story.. sorry!

So I dyno tested many cars and I pulled an old paper chart we made from back in my HS days. In

We had a 70 Satalite rated at 241 that punched out 227 to the crank, and 175 to the rear wheels.

We also had a 72 Duster 318 rated at 150 that punched out 180 to the crank and 125 to the rear wheels.

These numbers keep in mind were on our Clayton Dynos, they like a torque wrench are subject to calibration etc.

With a good tune better fuel jetting and ignition curves we put about 20 HP back into the 72, but it still was much weaker than the older 318. A compression test revealed about 20-30 lbs less per cyl that the older 70 model. I think they went from flat top to a dish piston. :headbang:

Both of these engines and cars had less than 3k miles on them. In fact the Duster had less than 1k, it was a doner from Plymouth to ur school.

ok that makes some sense. but my motor is from 68. and i am wondering if i may be working against myself by changing my parts. Here is what i have, I know ive gone over this before but just checking.

68-318 block
comp -x262 cam, lifters and 901 springs
73-318 heads with 3 angle valve job and port and polish, not to much to effect the torque and shaved 20 thou.
Eddy Preformer
600 cfm carb
Felt pro engine gasket kit

Here are the things i am planning on doing before i put it in.

square deck the block
bore .30
Kb-167 pistons

So am i hurting myself using the 73-318 with some work?
are the 68-318 heads better? Im pretty sure they are the same.
Is my setup looking ok? does anyone have a simular combo?

The heads may actually be the same casting number "675" would be that last three numbers of the casting number. '68 318 and '73 318 had the same port shape and valve sizes so they will have the same level of performance.

Chuck

Yeah I think all the replacement pistons are the dished lower compression units, you could mill the heads, would not mill the block too much, that will cut your cubes down some. But you would be OK with maybe a .030 mill from the heads and the good valve job.

A good 318 runs good in an A body and pulls hard when not over cammed on the low end.

And yes a cheap 360 would be a great investment if you want more HP for about the same bucks as the 318, but then you need a balancer and a convertor becasue they are balanced externally.

i am also building a 318 . i am building more a a street/strip engine. here is what i am building if you are interested. i am going to go with the swirl port 302 heads ( i measured them and they are 58 cc) and the keith black Hypereutectic (kb167) Flat Top pistons that give me a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio. but i am going to buy the fel-pro head gaskets holley 4160 750cfm carb, edelbrock performer rpm intake. comp cams extream energy cam xe274 274/286* and .488/.491 lift Valve Springs, Dual, 1.437 in. Outside Diameter, 409 lbs./in. Rate, 1.050 in and full lengh headers. a torque converter with a 2000 stall and 3.55 gears.

-
Back