Dillinger type lower control arms

-

junior636

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting the front end low on my 69 Dart. I need to get the front wheels in some so that i can get the front end low enough. My plan was to build lower control arms similar to what Dillinger was producing but maybe an inch shorter. I would also decrease the length of my tubular upper arms by the same amount. Would this affect anything if i shortened them the same amount? I have my drop spindles on order and hopefully i will get a better idea of how far in i need to move them once i put the spindles on.

That reminds me....I have a set of factory LCA's that are shortened 1".....from my experimentation days.

I expect you would need to modify the tie rods also. Then what about backspace in wheels ? Tires cant rub the frame rails in turns.

I guess no one in the suspension forum wants to talk about suspension!

Give it time, your talking specialty work here, not everyone is going to be versed in this area.

Just keep the thread alive, lol, someone will chime in.

Are you saying your experiment didnt work? #-o

I was experimenting with a rack and pinion with a modified factory K, torsion bars, and factory rear steer spindles. It was a attempt to cure an ackerman issue.....for what I was attempting, it was a failure.

while the modification might change the geometry SLIGHTLY....I would give it a try....just remove 3/4" off the LCA and UCA.....might also have to shorten the tie rod adjusters.

the 73 and up spindles that the 2"drops are modeled after move the wheel out an extra 3/4"....so that is why I would try it at 3/4"

Thanks for the insight Denny, i truly appreciate it! From the research I've done i thought it would be fine or at least not cause any huge adverse affects but another opinion is always nice :thumleft:

Give it time, your talking specialty work here, not everyone is going to be versed in this area.

Just keep the thread alive, lol, someone will chime in.

I'm impatient :burnout: and really excited to start on this project, just trying to work it all out sooner rather than later. Anytime I can weld or bend something I get a little excited

Thanks for the insight Denny, i truly appreciate it! From the research I've done i thought it would be fine or at least not cause any huge adverse affects but another opinion is always nice :thumleft:

One of my favorite sayings is....

Take a chance....Columbus did.

What i found was my car came factory with a 23 inch tall front tire. So im going to run a 23 inch front tire. Will get it low and look lower with the shorter tire. So i wont get the narrow front tire stance look and the tires will be strait inline from front to rear tires. Sucks as i have a new set of 25.9 diameter tires i cant use now.

Wouldn't it be much cheaper/easier to buy rims with more Back Spacing?

Not with a 3 1/2" or 4" wheel, only thing i could find is $500+ per wheel.

What's wrong with a little innovation and building things yourself? A lot cooler to me then saying "hey, look at these wheels i bought"

I already built some arms, there's a thread in this section on them.

Wouldn't it be much cheaper/easier to buy rims with more Back Spacing?

With a 3.5 or 4" wheel i cant get a better back spacing. I also only hit on one side when turning. The other side clears but i dont think it sits as low as the pass side.

Not with a 3 1/2" or 4" wheel, only thing i could find is $500+ per wheel.

What's wrong with a little innovation and building things yourself? A lot cooler to me then saying "hey, look at these wheels i bought"

I already built some arms, there's a thread in this section on them.

Not a thing wrong with innovation. But if you don't have to, Why reinvent the wheel(so to speak) if you don't have to. With the narrow wheels your using, your right you may have to.

-
Back