Dim Lights

-
Not sure why your comments about what i can/can't afford are oh so needed.
Sorry guy, sincerely did not mean to be offensive; just thought that the $$ for a VR would be better spent on a voltmeter that you could use for this and down the road. Hope you get it fixed. You probably really don't need to rewire the car, just look into the Mad Electrical site for the discussion and fairly easy upgrades.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

I looked at he Crutchfield article; the chassis and block grounds are good; as Redfish says, the battery to starter and starter relay are pretty heavy anyway. But the real regulationn issues in your case lie between the large starter relay connection and on in through the firewall connectors, the ignition switch wiring, and back out to the VR, alternator, and ignition system, as well as from the main alternaotr output back into the firewall connections, the ammeter, and back to the main system.

To tackle the voltage issues, consider this:

1) Examine the bulkhead connections and wires for corrosion and melting in the connector bodies.
2) Do the same at the ignition switch and connections.
3) Clean all of the bulkhead connections and treat with dielectric grease; that will likely do a lot for you.
4) Then read up above on the ammeter bypass
5) Route the alternator output direct to the starter relay's big lug.

This gets to most of the main problem areas except the ignition switch itself and a few other lower probability areas..

3. cig lighter is not a good place to check voltage. Most lighter are corroded and use the ashtray hinge point as a ground path.
I agree; but at least his radar detector and its internal VM don't draw a lot of current. If he is showing 15.5v at that point, then it is that much or higher at other points in the system and shows that his car has a distinct regulation issue.

Awesome things to look at guys. I'm going to dig into the car ASAP...its just stupid cold right now. If I remember correctly the grounding strap on the neg battery terminal is after market so I'm going to double check its grounded good. Just so I know where should that strap go, the frame/rad support or the block? And I really want to take the dash apart so I can get a better look at the cut up wiring in the dash from the last owners bad stereo install. And i want to find out why my map light switch isn't working.

New old car so its always an adventure figuring out whats been changed and/or messed with over the last 40+ years

Just incase anyone comes along later with the same problems I had. I changed the voltage regulator and all is right in the world for my dart.

Rockauto. Picked up a fuel filter too. Figured since I rebuilt the carb I might as well change the fuel filter to.

-
Back