dip stick blowin out with oil????

-

amoparacer

Reaction score
Okay first of all car engine runs very smooth no misses . Drove it to work 10 miles opened hood oil on stuff and top of stick . What to check ?? I know if you have a broken ring or cracked piston this can happen but it runs so smooth i cant imagine this is the case.

Checking to oil Im a full quart low have been driving it to work for a week. Did oil change shortly before the week. No oil out the the tail pipe no blue smoke. It all apears to be coming out the dip stick tube.

Could the PCV be blocked and not letting crank case pressure out.???

i would also check any breathers on the valve cover(s) if original could be clogged up from sludge solidifying if the engine hasnt been run in a good while.....what engine and valve covers do you have as alot of aftermarket dressup style breathers barely let the crank pressure breath!! if you have the chrome pushin style breathers make sure the little tab inside the nipple is open far enough to let the breather function i have purchased new ones of these and the tab is barely open......

I had one like this in a 74 /6 Dart daily driver. The valve seals were shot and the rings were on the way out. Replaced the Pcv and the breather and still had the problem. Car burned oil like crazy until I added a quart of Lucas with every oil change. I put a rubber hose on the dip stick with hose clamps just tight enough for me to check the oil but still hold it in place. Oil consumption dropped and I drove the car like this for another 40,000 miles. It was a trooper for sure.

I had this issue once when everything else was correct(oil level, pvc working, also don't use fuel line for pvc it can suck close, it was cylinder wall damage from a wrist pin coming out cut a nice groove into cylinder..

Is this a new build? If not, has anything been changed or modified on the motor? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If so, how much pressure is it running? The previous suggestions of things to check are most likely going to solve this riddle. But, what about the oil pump? Any possibility that the relief port could be screwed up? And would something like a spun cam bearing cause a change in pressure/oil flow and increase crankcase pressure (I don't know). One way or another, there seems to be a lot of pressure building inside the block. - Either too much oil, inadequate ventilation, or combustion chamber leakage past the rings.

I had this same problem 6 weeks ago, it turns out for me that it was a head gasket/pcv valve issue. I had a warped head and tried to fix it by tightening the head bolts 18 extra pounds, that just caused more problems for me. Also, my carbs vacuum was clogged up by a milky substance likely caused by the over tightening of the head bolts. Im not as knowledgeable as 75% of people on here but this might help.

Jake

Have a friend that has a 360 that will push oil out the dipstick tube cold if he revs it. Oil pressure will exceed 100 psi when it's cold and you rev it up but has 75 psi when it's warm at wide open throttle. Could be your problem.

Russ

i would also check any breathers on the valve cover(s) if original could be clogged up from sludge solidifying if the engine hasnt been run in a good while.....what engine and valve covers do you have as alot of aftermarket dressup style breathers barely let the crank pressure breath!! if you have the chrome pushin style breathers make sure the little tab inside the nipple is open far enough to let the breather function i have purchased new ones of these and the tab is barely open......

Factory valve cover original engine

New hoses replaced the PCV oil seems to still be leaking.

When I start the car and open the oil filler cap no blow back at all.

Factory valve cover original engine

New hoses replaced the PCV oil seems to still be leaking.

When I start the car and open the oil filler cap no blow back at all.

So are you saying the valve cover could be clogged isnt it only a rubber seal and open to the valves or rocker arms i did have it off cleaning when i bought the car but cant recall what is under the PCV rubber donut. :newb:

Xs3 and make sure you have the correct dipstick for the engine. I have seen this happen when there was too much oil in the engine because the dipstick was the wrong one.

Well its not the Dip stick because I changed the oil and added 5 quarts so with the new filter should be correct.

Think I will do a compression check on saturday and see in the mean time Ill try the rubber hose and clamp trick. Its very anoying to walk up to the car to go home from work and see the new oil leaks I park in a different spot most days.

As for the PCV hose its new and fuel injection hose very stiff will not go flat even with vice grips for pressure. Besides if there is pressure doing this it would blow up or pressurize the hose. Obviously vacuum would not push the stick out pressure would.

Well today after i got to work there was a tiny bite of grey water oil goop on dip stick with mostly good oil on the rest. Now Im leaning toward head gasket failing. So saturday off comes the head and on goes another rebuilt surfaced one thats all ready to go. Wish I had time to get a ARP head stud set.

STOP now do not pull the head.
A small amount of light goo is the result of blow by, from worn rings or faulty pcv.
Do a compression test and a leak down test on the engine.
Tools to actually tell you what is wrong with the engine is cheaper than guessing.
But it is your money.

With the engine running, pull the pcv valve and see if there is vacuum. If not remove the carb and clean the PCV passage in the carb. They get clogged with crud. Just use about a 1/4 inch drill bit, rotate it by hand.

Good Idea never though of that.
With all the rest of the crap stuck every where on this car the carb vent is a good possibility.:D

Okay I give leak down test on Saturday . As for the money my friend owns a machine shop he has a 225 industrial head and valve cover with head and valve cover gasket sitting in his shop 100 for them. It has been surfaced and new guides and a fresh valve job. The customer he did it up for wanted the 65-66 head and cover. So it's a no brainier and cheap.

I did a spark plug boot to keep mine in place. Just a photo to look at.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 129
So when i went to leave work i pulled the PCV out of the valve cover it could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Okay lets just say very strong suction. So in the morning its getting a spark plug boot. I am still convinced the head gasket is going so leak down test saturday. Followed by the new head is my bet.

-
Back