Dip stick install

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips to install a new dip stick tube? I had installed a new one but mushroomed the head of it. I have heard of letting it sit on the freezer to contract the metal and it will fit.

Do you have a new after market (chrome) dip-stick?

If so the tube for some reason is a little thicker than the stock tube.

I reamed out the hole in the block a little bit for it to fit.
You can also file the tube to fit.

You can also apply a thin layer of high temp silicone sealer when you install the dip stick tube so it doesnt leak.

The stock tube should push right in.

if you need to tap it in, find a small open end wrench that just fits on the tube and tap on that.

I use aluminum or brass between the hammer and tube. Bevel the lead edge and silicone lubricates and seals. So...
D; All the above

May need to file off the chrome that is past the stop on the tube heh? Here is a pic of the engine and the car it is in. Car has different wheels now. It is truely an adventure fitting a 440 in one of these little jewels.

'74 DUSTER 3-06.JPG

Power steering installed.jpg

Went to Orielly's here in town and nothing. But, my son was coming down from Springfield and i had the dude at the store call a store up there and get one sent over from the warehouse. Done deal. I put er in last night. Beveled the end a tad and filed off some of the chrome and found a path to shove it in the hole. Got underneath the car and got it started then got me a hammer from the top side and pounded the living he..... not really. Several taps while holding the tube for support and down it went. It won't fall out. Good fit. Too bad everything on this build wasn't this easy. I guess it wouldn't be fun then would it.

I was going to tell you I hit mine with a file a just a little, used some WD-40 and tapped it in with a rubber mallet. I still got the little circles in the mallet. LOL.

Glad you got it.

-
Back