Dipping vs blasting

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get going on my 68 Barracuda. The body needs a complete repaint. Living in Ohio it's entire life it has it's fair share of rust both visible and hidden. Having stated that I'm debating on which I should look at.
Having the entire car media blasted or having it dipped.
My thoughts are having it dipped as it will get in all the nooks and crannies to get all the crap out. It also give the new paint a good adhesion surface. At the dippers in my area I can have it hit with a rust inhibitor and one has a dipping process that applies an EDP coating for better protection.
Media blasting can leave residue that can be a pain too completely remove. But is a little less expensive.
I plan on keeping this car until I die so I want it to last and look great. I will get driven a lot but only in nicer weather.
Which would you choose and why?

metal dipping IF it can be diped in rust inhibitor.

media blasting will leave residue that can plague you everytime you blow air at it, as in priming and painting!

remember both will show you the holes that are there, and both will cause holes in thin metal!!

its great you have the resources to do it this well!

I'm lucky as there is a dipper in Cincinnati to my south and one in Toledo to the north and to the west in Indy. Living in the rust belt does have it's advantages.
I'm hoping it will find all those holes as I want to make sure they get fixed before final paint.

The dipper I talked to out here in CA only dipped. When I asked him about all the boxed in areas and pinch welds that I wouldn't be able to paint, he didn't have an answer. So I went with media blasting.

That's great that the dippers in your area can protect all the metal afterwards but it would need to be a dip to get inside all the inaccessible areas. Remember that Chrysler dipped these cars in primer at the factory.

My car was on a rotisserie so by the time I was ready for paint, all the media was out.

The dipper I talked to out here in CA only dipped. When I asked him about all the boxed in areas and pinch welds that I wouldn't be able to paint, he didn't have an answer. So I went with media blasting.

That's great that the dippers in your area can protect all the metal afterwards but it would need to be a dip to get inside all the inaccessible areas. Remember that Chrysler dipped these cars in primer at the factory.

My car was on a rotisserie so by the time I was ready for paint, all the media was out.

Chrysler didn't prime or paint the boxed in areas before they put the car together or painted them did they? Would it be the same unprotected bare metal?

I was thinking about E coating. Dipping is great but E coating was the answer to get inside all the hidden areas. I'm not sure if this is a great idea. Rust may pop up in some strange areas down the line.

Did the spot welds just burn through the primer? Sail panels and roofs sure look raw to me.

The cars weren't completely submerged, so those parts would be bare. The assembly line dipped down into the vat and back out as the car moved forward. So the primer line is higher on the front and back of the car and lower in the middle. Really thorough restorations attempt to replicate this effect.

The body was spot welded together before it was dipped, so nothing to "burn through" I guess the paint probably wouldn't get into the lap joints and pinch welds so well. But at least the hollow cavities would be painted.

-
Back