Dipstick anomaly

-
Like stated, add what should be in it and see where it shows on the dipstick. You do need to adjust for being upside down. Gravity not the same in Australia. :)

Just another chrome show calamity.!!!
Nice to know Rusty has learned something from this thread.
By the way, Americans spell it as Liter and the rest of us spell it as Litre..
I did not make this Meme..

litre.jpeg

Backtrack like you usually do after being the epitome of an internet bully and being called out on it.
I beat ya to the ignore button months ago Cletus...
I was pokin him with the stick and jokin around just like I said. Who was the one that purposely came in here stirring up ****? You like you always do. You're an ***. You're now on the list.

Last edited:
Did you read what you typed?? And go read your 1st post in this thread...***
Saying I came here purposely to stir up ****?? I was defending someone YOU were being a dick to.
I was pokin him with the stick and jokin around just like I said. Who was the one that purposely came in here stirring up ****? You like you always do. You're an ***. You're now on the list.

Thanks for adding information that should have been included.

In this case, I would caution the OP, as that means his engine is damn near 2 quarts low. I'm not aware of any oil filter on the market that will hold the oil in it totally upside down, like what mounts on the slant 6. All of them drain out, I believe, so that means he's lower than he thinks, most likely. I recommend doing an oil change, adding five quarts (unless it's a truck or van then 6) and rechecking the dipstick and remarking as necessary.
He is asking about a 360 small block not a slant. His filter may be close to upside down if he has an oil filter adaptor at a crazy angle. Kim

Your understanding of the system is flawed slightly. You're correct not to trust aftermarket.... But ALL dipsticks need to be calibrated.
Even OEM.

This is the proper way.

The only thing I'll say is:
Park on level ground.
THEN DRAIN OIL. Don't touch the filter.
THEN add the proper amount oil, minus one quart.
This is your new "low"
Add one quart, this is your new "full"

And if the level is low on the stick with the right amount of oil, shorten the tube to drop the stick to the right level. Most aftermarket tubes are like this I think.

It's never easy to lengthen your stick.
Just rub ur stick. I bet it will lengthen. Lol

He is asking about a 360 small block not a slant. His filter may be close to upside down if he has an oil filter adaptor at a crazy angle. Kim
Of the RHD models we see, my recollection is there is a remote filter mounted on the engine. At least on the v-8s.
That said, yea I'd measure and remark the dipstick. Pour three quarts, litres, whatevers in, measure, then 4, then the full amount and run the engine as suggested. Measure the next day if you've go tthe patience.

But I must admit I got a better heads up than most with 20 years in aviation, where you have a curious blend of US, Imperial and metric all in one place.
I thought we solved that all during the wars with Unified and British Standard. LOL!

That's 100% my mistake. I somehow was thinking slant 6. Thanks kimmer. My bad.

Of the RHD models we see, my recollection is there is a remote filter mounted on the engine. At least on the v-8s.
That said, yea I'd measure and remark the dipstick. Pour three quarts, litres, whatevers in, measure, then 4, then the full amount and run the engine as suggested. Measure the next day if you've go tthe patience.

I thought we solved that all during the wars with Unified and British Standard. LOL!
The oil filter was relocated on the RHD models as the steering box was relocated from the crossmember to the "chasis" rail - there being reduced space with the RH offset of the engine. It's a pain but..... since CAL didn't see fit (or get the OK to change the design) and centralise the engines that's what we got. As for unifing with British Standard :) that could make an interesting piss take utube. "Sorry old boy, British inches are bigger" (anyone who knows the dimensions of BSW nuts and bolts will be laughing at that) not to mention there are 2 Witworth sizes since the war.

Yes I was being humourous and doing a little word play. 'Unified' is also a standard of its own derived from the old US or American Standard. One time visiting in the UK I bought some spanners at a boot sale (for use on Raliegh and other British bicycles). :) I would have bought more if I could have as I really didn't know what I needed. Just knew that pretty much every nut and bolt was Whitworth or BS, expect for subassemblies like deraillers. LOL.

I have a chrome dress up after market dipstick on my 360SB dipstick reads FULL (cold) but i drained the oilpan and only have 3 litres in it?? any ideas??
You are supposed to use a new dipstick tube with your new dipstick in which you would then put five quarts of oil in your oil pan then install said dipstick tube and dipstick then check dipstick to see where oil level is if it's not showing full yet... you trim the dipstick tube to appropriate amount needed to hit the mark.

There are probably thousands of people who have found out the hard way buying these dipstick kits even the ones that are Factory you have to trim them to the right length so that it actually is 5 quarts, not 6-7 and or full at 3...
The tube determines the shown level as long as there really is 5 qrts in it to start.

My car engine that came with an after market dipstick that was slightly too long.
I filled it with the correct amount of oil first.
Then carefully added several more bends using narrow jaw pliers (needle nose)) to the dipstick at the top where some are normally found. This can slightly shorten the dipstick if it is too long so that the full mark can register properly.
Yote

Funny thing is when Shelby took the 2.2L its oil pan held 4 quarts so he had Chrysler add a longer dipstick tube so you could add 1 quart more for a total of 5 quarts. He did NOT add baffling to the pan or add a windage tray. So the extra quart splashed around the crank more. I added baffles and a crank scraper to mine.

-
Back