Direct Connection ( Mullen LA ) heads

-
20-ish years ago someone sent me some ported stage VI heads to look over/go through.

The ones MP was selling that were done by Arrow racing engines.
They were still new in box.

Granted, stage 6’s were as bad as I’ve ever seen for poor manufacturing QC...... but those ported MP heads were absolutely nothing special..... at.....all.
And they had some of the typical stage 6-ism’s....... that hadn’t been addressed one bit.

The bottom line is........ heads that are being sold out of a catalog(especially from back before CNC porting existed), are built/reworked based on a fixed price point(yet advertised for a pretty high MSRP).

While I’m still giving these Mullen heads the benefit of the doubt that they would exceed 253cfm on my bench....... I also wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t.

Yeah, the Stage IV heads were a goofball deal. I never liked doing those.

20-ish years ago someone sent me some ported stage VI heads to look over/go through.

The ones MP was selling that were done by Arrow racing engines.
They were still new in box.

Granted, stage 6’s were as bad as I’ve ever seen for poor manufacturing QC...... but those ported MP heads were absolutely nothing special..... at.....all.
And they had some of the typical stage 6-ism’s....... that hadn’t been addressed one bit.

The bottom line is........ heads that are being sold out of a catalog(especially from back before CNC porting existed), are built/reworked based on a fixed price point(yet advertised for a pretty high MSRP).

While I’m still giving these Mullen heads the benefit of the doubt that they would exceed 253cfm on my bench....... I also wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t.[/QUOTE
****, she can rub her tits on my dong and swallow the kids n im good.
Of course make a head "big" by shrinking the CID.
Not doing the trend stroked 360 , vintage build all the way , money not a factor @ all .

I didn’t know if it was a nostalgic index class or something, where there was a particular ET you were trying to reach to be competitive.

I didn’t know if it was a nostalgic index class or something, where there was a particular ET you were trying to reach to be competitive.
9.50 lbs per CI
Super Stock class
1967 NRHA rules
29-7 slicks only
Mandatory 4 speed.

Agreed that the flow bench is reading conservatively here when compared to the numbers the CNC SM head flow postings in the head flow charts. The heads should still be plenty for 1.4-1.5hp/cubic inch with a custom roller cam and 1-7/8 side exit headers. Actually in the super stock class, instead of ballast, the first measure to slow a car is a restrictor plate is handed to any racer that runs .2 faster than everyone else for two runs in a row. Restrictor plates have to be returned at the end of each event. I can see the appeal of running in southeast gassers. SEGA does put on a hell of a show, and they pack the stands at all their events (at least they did before this pandemic nonsense hit). The rules are based on 1967 rule book and restrictive to keep it as competitive as possible.

Could run a 340 @3200lbs and change too.
My 67 signet is 3192lbs with a b/e 833 'long tail' and 340, 8 3/4 , frame connected, stereo and amps..lol
Nice / I already have a second motor in the works also its a 40 over 360 with crank spacers and 340 steel crank but this Bob Glidden 3.20 stroke crank is going in and getting used my first year ! Im tickled to own such an item.

20180910_163818.jpg

20180910_132153.jpg

Didn't watch the whole video, but I didn't see many Mopars in there. Nice to see you representing.

Okay....... so what’s a competitive ET in that class?
1/8 or 1/4 mike?
The best I can tell, the 6.90-7.0 second zone is where the restrictor plate or plates gets handed out. What kind of connecting rods did you say you have for that? I can’t retain if they’re 6.2 or 6.3 inch but the big rod ratio number also has some effect on how the heads behave, too.

The best I can tell, the 6.90-7.0 second zone is where the restrictor plate or plates gets handed out. What kind of connecting rods did you say you have for that? I can’t retain if they’re 6.2 or 6.3 inch but the big rod ratio number also has some effect on how the heads behave, too.

The best I can tell, the 6.90-7.0 second zone is where the restrictor plate or plates gets handed out.

Ok...... so about 450hp as it sits on the starting line @3200lbs.
Depending on just how good the car is, considering typical south east weather(hot n humid)....... about 500hp STP corrected on the dyno.

26CA9E9B-6343-4CD2-8B65-0A791A058BD2.jpeg
Strictly by the numbers, with a the addition of a custom solid roller it should be well within reach. The last numbers I ran through some hp calculators exceeded that with ported Toth Performance aluminum heads that didn’t flow as much, a TR5, and this custom solid cam. Some other calculators showed hp peak north of 8300 rpm. If anyone has desktop dyno or some other higher end program and would like to double check here are the solid flat tappet cam specs. The present head porter does know that his equipment is a little shy on the numbers as well.

Of course, trying to avoid racing computers, too. But there’s not a whole lot of destroker experience left. I think the last superstock racer to run destroked with the KB cranks was Johnny Diana, and thank f course Glidden ran a destroked W2 in superstock. On a fun note, wheelies and carrying the wheels to the first shift is encouraged. This deal will definitely make good use of the 5.57 gears.

Last edited:

I have a very similar set of heads. Like yours, mine are the later 360 casting with the offset pushrod holes. Mine have been wildly ported, use a 2.02 intake valve that is 5.02 long, they have bronze bushed guides and were modified to use a W5 large port intake. They have also been O ringed and have brass oil restrictors in them. The ones I have are marked CTA 25 and CTA 26. Every exhaust port has been number stamped.
I think the CTA is a head shop marking maybe? I was told these were on a NHRA Super stocker when I bought them. Very odd heads for sure so I am somewhat glad to see another set. Although mine are not Mullen Modified like yours they do have the same base head.
Good Luck with them and I hope they do the job for you.

If it takes a ET of 6.20 to be competitive, your gonna be in a heap of trouble!

About 7.0 to be competitive, going to be using a 6.20 inch connecting rod.

I would think 1.5 hp/cubic inch would be within reach with 13:1 and 110 octane. It's really dependent on how much V.E. the heads will be capable of through the full house RPM manifold. Historically, though, the heads are really a neat piece. The experimentation and lessons learned from those heads are what led to the W2 platform. An overall head design that is still more than adequate for a lot of purpose built race cars today.

I have a very similar set of heads. Like yours, mine are the later 360 casting with the offset pushrod holes. Mine have been wildly ported, use a 2.02 intake valve that is 5.02 long, they have bronze bushed guides and were modified to use a W5 large port intake. They have also been O ringed and have brass oil restrictors in them. The ones I have are marked CTA 25 and CTA 26. Every exhaust port has been number stamped.
I think the CTA is a head shop marking maybe? I was told these were on a NHRA Super stocker when I bought them. Very odd heads for sure so I am somewhat glad to see another set. Although mine are not Mullen Modified like yours they do have the same base head.
Nice Vintage pieces we both have

-
Back