Direct Connection ( Mullen LA ) heads

-
Finished results will be STELLAR !
PS - I have zero plans of being @ 7.0 for eighth mile !
6.40s to 6.60s is where I strive to be .

I would think 1.5 hp/cubic inch would be within reach with 13:1 and 110 octane. It's really dependent on how much V.E. the heads will be capable of through the full house RPM manifold. Historically, though, the heads are really a neat piece. The experimentation and lessons learned from those heads are what led to the W2 platform. An overall head design that is still more than adequate for a lot of purpose built race cars today.

I Honored to own these Vintage Chrysler Racing parts , its more to me than just buy
I would think 1.5 hp/cubic inch would be within reach with 13:1 and 110 octane. It's really dependent on how much V.E. the heads will be capable of through the full house RPM manifold. Historically, though, the heads are really a neat piece. The experimentation and lessons learned from those heads are what led to the W2 platform. An overall head design that is still more than adequate for a lot of purpose built race cars today.

I'm Honored to own these Vintage Chrysler racing parts and its more to have a car representing said class than to have the latest bling etc . I can buy any head currently offered for a LA engine but I just want to be competitive and use as many Chrysler offered products as possible
I have a very similar set of heads. Like yours, mine are the later 360 casting with the offset pushrod holes. Mine have been wildly ported, use a 2.02 intake valve that is 5.02 long, they have bronze bushed guides and were modified to use a W5 large port intake. They have also been O ringed and have brass oil restrictors in them. The ones I have are marked CTA 25 and CTA 26. Every exhaust port has been number stamped.
I think the CTA is a head shop marking maybe? I was told these were on a NHRA Super stocker when I bought them. Very odd heads for sure so I am somewhat glad to see another set. Although mine are not Mullen Modified like yours they do have the same base head.
Good Luck with them and I hope they do the job for you.

Nice info much appreciated , my valves were the same length .

I Honored to own these Vintage Chrysler Racing parts , its more to me than just buy

I'm Honored to own these Vintage Chrysler racing parts and its more to have a car representing said class than to have the latest bling etc . I can buy any head currently offered for a LA engine but I just want to be competitive and use as many Chrysler offered products as possible

Nice info much appreciated , my valves were the same length .

I just checked my photos out because heads not in my possession but EXH ports are marked and mine are matched set ##49 & ##50 .

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

I'd like to see what Jim Laroy and company could get them to flow. Or MOPAROFFICIAL.

I'd like to see what Jim Laroy and company could get them to flow. Or MOPAROFFICIAL.
250's cfm is not the ceiling for those heads.
The oddball late 70's smog heads i did for randall do mid/high 260's cfm, like 266-268. The exhaust ,the better head of the 2, does about 200, the other 180's... and those aren't special castings with offset pr's and awesome exh ports. Just truck/van heads w core shift.
So..yeah, most could get more from them.
Again, cuz you're asking..they aren't bad n they aren't great or anything to get excited about.
In perspective, they were hi tech for 1975 when that part number came about.

250's cfm is not the ceiling for those heads.
The oddball late 70's smog heads i did for randall do mid/high 260's cfm, like 266-268. The exhaust ,the better head of the 2, does about 200, the other 180's... and those aren't special castings with offset pr's and awesome exh ports. Just truck/van heads w core shift.
So..yeah, most could get more from them.
Again, cuz you're asking..they aren't bad n they aren't great or anything to get excited about.
In perspective, they were hi tech for 1975 when that part number came about.
Correct primitive by todays standards # But my build (destroked LA Super Stock build ) is not the normal by todays standards Stroked 360 with lots of billet bling and a Chinese MSD
ignition sytem !
Again Vintage Super Stock in every detail , I want be the fastest and want be the slowest .

20200619_125424.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

20190329_154702.jpg

20190625_130409.jpg

Screenshot_2019-04-10-11-51-56.png

Gentleman doing my cyl heads was impressed with pushrod pinch removed and overall port work obviously all hand done way back when / then etc

The way I look at it, keeping those heads in a condition as close to the way they came from Mullen’s as possible is where their “worth” is.
From both a $$$ and historical perspective.

Last edited:
The way I look at it, keeping those heads in a condition as close to the way they came from Mullen’s as possible is where there “worth” is.
From both a $$$ and historical perspective.
Exactly ports are not being touched
Just some de-burring and exceptional valve job and all new hardware .
Valves were used up didnt have bronze guides and zero seals on them.

Just posting what was told to me
When they were dropped off
One intake and exh valves was removed # and info I just posted above was discovered

Just posting what was told to me
When they were dropped off
One intake and exh valves was removed # and info I just posted above was discovered
My heads have the same filler on the intake side but I have a W5 large port manifold that bolts up. Looks to be a perfect fit. I can get pics but I cant seem to attach them.

-
Back