Direct Fire Ignition Conversion

-

KitCarlson

Reaction score
I am thinking about designing a new ignition for my 66 Barracuda. It will not use the distributor to distribute the sparks. The distributor will house the timing pickup sensors for simplicity in installation. The spark pugs will connect directly to the coils. The ignition will have a locked rotor (vac and mech advance), timing will be electronically controlled with a table for RPM, MAP and Coolant Temp. Timing adjustments in table can be done with engine operating without hesitation. Many tuning improvements are possible compared to mechanical and vacuum controls.

I have done this for 4-cylinders along with fuel injection for a turbo Dodge Omni, VW's and Porsches. My plan is to use two of my 4-cylinder ECU units for the V8 ignition. Most work will be to fabricate a #1 sync sensor in distributor, and some firmware changes.

This is a hobby for me, no plan to sell units.

Comments welcome.

You are taking the WORST portion of the stock Mopar ignition and using it

The reason Mopar ignition needs to be improved is that the entire distributor and drive system is unstable, and added to that is any slop in the timing chain.

If you are going to go to this much trouble for an ignition, there's only ONE way to fly, and that is use a crank trigger.

The reason Mopar ignition needs to be improved is that the entire distributor and drive system is unstable, and added to that is any slop in the timing chain.

If you are going to go to this much trouble for an ignition, there's only ONE way to fly, and that is use a crank trigger.

Agree 100%! I think crank trigger right away when talking better mouse trap..

Thanks for the good advise based on your experience. That actually makes things simpler in the firmware if waste fire is used. Might use two Neon coils. I will look for a crank sensor wheel. I would like a wheel with 4 tabs, one with a window for sync.

X3, Start with a crank trigger, and think about individual coils for each cylinder. You'll get a longer saturation time and a more stable spark thru the RPM range.

I overlap coil coil charge on the neon coil pack for about 10K RPM at full energy. No I do not run at that speed. Should be the same for V8 with two packs.

The COP (coil on plug) may make for better wiring, since the high tension needs to cross cylinder banks on the V8. I think 1 and 6, 5 and 8, 4 and 7, 3 and 2 will fire common as common pairs with coil packs. I worry a bit about the COP temperature, near the drivers side 273 exhaust manifold.

The four tooth FAST wheel looks like what I was thinking. I would need a cam sensor for sync for COP. Might end up making my own wheel to keep things simple.

-
Back