Dirt Muscle Help

-

matthon

Reaction score
I am in the process of completing the late 60s early 70s hot rod muscle car look, based on a pretty original car that is rough looking, but has many of the parts already.

It is a 67 Barracuda, I have little $$s for major items, I will not be painting it or fixing the dents, but I can make the finishing touches listed below.

So, I am leaving it up to the experts, (you), to decide.

Please post pics whenever possible.

Here is what I have, what I would like to get, and what I need help with:

Car has:
1) Cragar big and little, the rear bolt pattern is even bigger.
2) Aluminum Flex fan.
3) Aluminum high rise w/ Holley DP.
4) Superior Performance "500" wheel, chrome 3 spoke, black ring.
5) Hurst shifter w/ black ball.
6) Traction bars, these are actually one piece bar/shock mount.
7) Sun tach.
8 ) Trio of SW gauges.
9) Rearend painted white.
10) Finned aluminum valve covers.
11) White letter tires.
12) Fuzzy dice.

Getting:
1) Sidepipes and headers.

Questions:
1) Do I need to get the Cragar S/S spinner center caps?
2) What hood scoop do I need? From where?
3) What plain hood will fit so I can put a big hole in it?
4) What air cleaner do I need that will work with the valve covers/hood scoop?
5) Should I paint the traction bars? What color? Keep in mind they are one piece traction bar/shock mount/spring bottom.
6) Is there a front and/or rear spoiler that is a bolt on?
7) What side pipes? old, new, nos?

Is anything listed incorrect for what I am trying to do?

Do I need certain stickers (Plymouth in big letters like the Superbird), add-on emblems (Hurst, etc), pin stripes, spray paint somewhere, something for the interior?

Am I missing anything?

People have at it!

1.JPG

2.jpg

Sidepipes were for 'vettes and gremlins, leave 'em off. Run your exhaust to exit just in front of the rear tires, that's the way it was done in my neck of the woods.

No hood scoop! That would be a travesty on that car unless it was a seperate fiberglass hood.

Traction bars should be yellow like the old Lakewood units.

Wheels and white letter tires are correct.

Sun tach and gauges are right.

Aftermarket spoilers are not correct. Don't do it.

Get some thrush, accel and crane stickers in the rear quarter windows.

Valve covers look good... Maybe some black M/T covers if you can find for the big block.

Yellow wires and tan cap are right.

Biggest chrome air cleaner you can find that will fit will work. The Edelbrock foam traingular air cleaners were popular but they suck in every way. They do look nice though....

Painted rear was common, although I never liked it.

Dump the fuzzy dice and hang a roach clip with feathers from the rear view.

Diamond tufted black interior was common but oh so ugly.

Get an 8 track with a BTO tape hanging out of it.

Steering wheel is right.

Foot shaped accelerator pedal was common but not my bag either.

:)

I´m with ramcharger. May be raise the rear of the car.
But please don´t cut the fenderwells for headers.

Sidepipes were for 'vettes and gremlins, leave 'em off. Run your exhaust to exit just in front of the rear tires, that's the way it was done in my neck of the woods.

No hood scoop! That would be a travesty on that car unless it was a seperate fiberglass hood.

Traction bars should be yellow like the old Lakewood units.

Wheels and white letter tires are correct.

Sun tach and gauges are right.

Aftermarket spoilers are not correct. Don't do it.

Get some thrush, accel and crane stickers in the rear quarter windows.

Valve covers look good... Maybe some black M/T covers if you can find for the big block.

Yellow wires and tan cap are right.

Biggest chrome air cleaner you can find that will fit will work. The Edelbrock foam traingular air cleaners were popular but they suck in every way. They do look nice though....

Painted rear was common, although I never liked it.

Dump the fuzzy dice and hang a roach clip with feathers from the rear view.

Diamond tufted black interior was common but oh so ugly.

Get an 8 track with a BTO tape hanging out of it.

Steering wheel is right.

Foot shaped accelerator pedal was common but not my bag either.

:)

nice, i like the way you think. Go for it

I´m with ramcharger. May be raise the rear of the car.
But please don´t cut the fenderwells for headers.
No cutting at all, I would never want to modify it with anything other than a bolt on part. I think I am going to go with the Schumacher headers, the only reason for that is from this forum I discovered they finally addressed the z-bar clearance issue with a modified one.
I have never been a big header fan, but I think in this case it might be a good idea- the plugs are difficult to get to, I have fixed the manifold to exhaust pipe connection a few times and it still leaks, and the driver manifold is very restricted; I have never seen one that was that tight of a fit.

By the way, I am considering getting rid of my Sonoma and getting a 66 Barracuda as a daily driver, not that I need another car or can afford it now, but are there any cons to those years?

Is yours a 66? Its a nice ride.

looks great as is love the green color please forget about side pipes, hood scoops and spoilers that would spoil the clean barracuda lines! loose the fuzzy dice !!!!

OK, great info.
The valve covers were my idea, I just like them.

No Cragar spinner caps? I didn't think so, just checking.

The only thing to add them would be a bigger air cleaner, which I can't due to the limited space under the hood. I changed the intake from a high rise to a lower one to fit an air cleaner that was bigger than 3/4 inch high and I still had to remove the lower part of the new one.
I'd like to get another hood and a scoop so the engine can breath and the air cleaner isn't a hair away from the hood, but I definitely don't want the fiberglass ones, wrong scoop and I can't spend $600+ on a hood.
But I can't find a plain Barracuda hood or a scoop.

They Never Made A "plain" Barracuda Hood For 67-68, All Had The Louvers On Them. A 69 Flat Hood Would Fit But It Had A Bump In The Front Center, Wouldn't Look Right.

No cutting at all, I would never want to modify it with anything other than a bolt on part. I think I am going to go with the Schumacher headers, the only reason for that is from this forum I discovered they finally addressed the z-bar clearance issue with a modified one.
I have never been a big header fan, but I think in this case it might be a good idea- the plugs are difficult to get to, I have fixed the manifold to exhaust pipe connection a few times and it still leaks, and the driver manifold is very restricted; I have never seen one that was that tight of a fit.

By the way, I am considering getting rid of my Sonoma and getting a 66 Barracuda as a daily driver, not that I need another car or can afford it now, but are there any cons to those years?

Is yours a 66? Its a nice ride.

Yes, it´s a -66. Bought it the last summer but I did own this particular car as my first car for about 30 years ago. I was just thrilled to see that it was for sale and my wife said " you just have to buy that car". She didn`t have to repeat herself.LOL

I`ve bought TTI headers for my -67 383 car, thought that I read that they would fit with a 4-speed but obvious it isn`t so. Well, guess I`ll do some modifying of the z-bar.

Oooohhh, I think I knew that, but not really.

Did you ever feel that the more you learn, the more gets deleted?

Thank you!

OK, great info.
The valve covers were my idea, I just like them.

Cool, keep them then. I like them too

No Cragar spinner caps? I didn't think so, just checking.

Nope

The only thing to add them would be a bigger air cleaner, which I can't due to the limited space under the hood. I changed the intake from a high rise to a lower one to fit an air cleaner that was bigger than 3/4 inch high and I still had to remove the lower part of the new one.

How about the drop base Moroso air cleaners?

I'd like to get another hood and a scoop so the engine can breath and the air cleaner isn't a hair away from the hood, but I definitely don't want the fiberglass ones, wrong scoop and I can't spend $600+ on a hood.
But I can't find a plain Barracuda hood or a scoop.

Hoods aren't cheap, no doubt.

A '66 Barracuda would be cool. You could turn it into a vintage GT/Road Race look-alike with a built 340, then you'd have something vintage from both sides of the pond.

I think Ramcharger nailed it. Paint the rear and crank it up with air shocks for the true "period look". However, it will kill your ft susp! Oh, and what ever shifter you have, change the shift knob. 8 ball, anything but the stock one. Then you'll have my car from '76!

You need a Hurst t-handle like in my avatar.

Some fur in the interior would be "period correct" but of course, ugly.

Side exhaust dumps in front of the rear tires. I'm not a sidepipe guy, but to each his own.

Don't cut your hood. If you want a scoop, get a glass hood with a molded in scoop and set your stock hood in a safe place. You could put some hood pins in the glass hood too.

-
Back