Dis is My Ride!!!

-
Well, Curtis Doggie Dawg (aka waggin')
Thanks. You are a real friend. For those seeing the pictures, the top one is me making the "peace sign" and I was helping Curtis with the pearl, purple candy stripes and the gold leafing. That was about a two 12-pack job!! The middle picture is Curtis helping me painting my '69 Dart. The bottom picture is our finished job. That was a sweet and fast little car...ported head 360 with all the good stuff, 4-spd, narrowed 8-3/4 and vintage American wheels. A fellow named Tyler Sweet (road manager for Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats) is now the proud owner. It has a climate controlled garage in MA. Thanks for the pictures, Curtis. Got any beers all up in your refrigerator? LOL!
Pat

Hello GTS340
Thanks for looking and having a sharp eye. My original plan - which I followed through on - was to build a streetable replica of an early '70s Pro Stocker. I could not afford a hemi engine these days. All my hemi stuff went to Marvin Schwarts and Garlits back before prices went insane. My wife, Ellie Bear, and I built that thing on our mobile home carport over a period of 6-1/2 years.
Pat

Hello, Pat. I just wanted to mention that I sent you a copy of the Big picture to your e-mail address.

Here is another from the same race. You probably know both people in the shot.

shirley and connie (Medium).jpg

The Maysville Hemi, as the enemy camps called it, wasn't always kind to me. Even though it never smoked, I had to keep a close eye on the oil level. While it was still under warranty, it ate the 3, 5 and 8 rod bearings for no apparent reason. Carpenter Motors and Chrysler put a new crank in it and new bearings. I didn't want it to happen again so my buddy Jerry and I put a deep Milodon pan on it with dual pickups and the trick adjustable oil pump. Back then I ran Valvoline 50 wt racing oil in it. I think that was why it was oil thirsty. The warranty adjuster did not like the headers on the car or the fact that the factory air cleaner wasn't on it and what little smog stuff was on it was rendered useless but he let it slide.
Another fellow from West Union, OH made the trip south to Aberdeen with a Torino coupe, 428 CJ, 4-speed (back then all self respecting gear heads drove 4-speeds) He was a friend of the Mailman and had raced and beat him. I don't remember the fellows name now but he came into Bisotti's Drive-In with an entourage of about 10 cars and 50-guys. He drove the CJ in the lot with open headers and slicks! He wanted to run for $100 and I agreed but I had to equalize the situation. Jerry and I made the short trip to his shop and opened up the headers and took the slicks off his max wedge S/S car (they were mounted on ugly factory steel wheels and I hated them but the slicks were great). We went back to Bisotti's and hooked up. By then, the entire drive-in parking lot was standing room only with people wanting to witness the race. About 5 other races were agreed to by others after my race with the CJ. It was to be one race, winner take all. It was reediculous when we got to the "track" on hwy 52. The race drew the greatest number of spectators I had ever seen. People just using the road could see it was going to be a race. Big rig drivers even stopped and helped block the road. We lined up and Jerry did the rosin thing and we did some hot burnouts through it. I could tell the hemi was going to hook because of the slicks and the traction glue and I would do well to pop the clutch at 4,000 rpm. The flash light lit and we were off! The hemi did hook like it never had (several people told later it lifted the wheels) and I was out a car instantly on the CJ. By the other end, the CJ just could not handle the hemi's top end motor march and I beat him by 2-cars. We got back to the starting line, collected our riders and went back to Bisotti's to settle up The crowd stayed for the rest of the races. I held my hand out for the money and he just grinned at me. Then a flock of his buddies that he had arrived with pulled in. He proceeded to tell me he didn't have any money and that he didn't think I was going to race him. Now friends, back in that day, I would fight at the drop of a hat. But there was just Jerry and me and about 20 of them. Jerry and I looked at each other and agreed that we knew an ***-whuppin' when we saw it. I told the CJ boy I'd catch him out somewhere one day. He said he didn't want to fight, apologized, and pulled out a new Barlow pocket knife and said, "This is all I got, it's your trophy". To this day I still have that knife! I broke the tip off of the big blade though using it for a screw driver. I also learned a valuable lesson: before any race, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!
Jerry and I went back to his shop, drank a couple of Stroh's, hooked the headers back up and changed the tires. When I started it up to head for home, we could now hear a distinctive evil sound in bowels of the hemi. My mighty elephant was sorely wounded. We parked the car in the storage barn and Jerry gave me a ride home. The next day, a Sunday, Jerry pulled the engine and found the rod bearings on 3, 5 and 8 were destroyed again. Everything else looked like new. I think the warranty adjuster should also have replaced those RODS the first time because they may have been egg-shaped. I was really wishing I had that $100 because now I really needed it! Another friend named Johnny Walker let me use his spare car, a sweet '67 Nova SS with 327/350 hp, 4-spd until the Maysville Hemi could get fixed. The following weekend, I went with Jerry to Mountain Park Dragway in Clay City KY to race the Max Wedge car. That was where I first got hooked up with Ronnie Sox, Buddy Martin and Jake King and therein lies another story. They were very instrumental in giving the Maysville Hemi a new heartbeat. Ronnie was there to match race Wally Booth and I got to help them on the starting line through the rosin burnouts, etc. Ronnie won 3 out of 3 with that bad fast back hemi cuda. Next time I'll tell you about the elephant heart transplant operation and what the patient did thereafter.
Pat
PS: without commercial interruption

Great picture, Fishbreath!
To be honest with you, I really don't recognize anyone but Shirley. I was never around her much at all. The tall one doesn't look like her son (I forget his name) although I was familiar with him when he crewed a short time for Big Daddy. The reason I remember the event - I believe it was Gainesville - he left something undone. Don was upset, chewing him out. He said something smart under his breath and Don's brother Ed (who was the clutch man) asked him, "What did you say?". The kid said, You heard me; do the f------ thing yourself!" Ed threw off that big leather glove, knocked him cold with one punch. Shirley came over in a fury cussing out Ed and Don (they were never really "friends"). The boy came to and she dusted him off and they parted ways. How could you ever forget that?
The guy with the long hair yawning looks like Danny Childs, he owned Competition Products and was a machinist/chassis builder.
Pat

Hey Ram, ain't it past your bedtime.:toothy10::toothy10:

Terry

Lol! I don't get to take afternoon naps like you retired guys. :-D

Hey Pat,

Ever find out what was causing the bearing failure? Crappy machining from the factory? Weak rods ovaling out and dropping oil pressure? Casting flash in a oil passage?

Thanks for the great pics!

Joe

Jake King told me that if I could get my short block to him down in Burlington, he would examine it and prepare me something good to take back in about a week. As I suspected, the rods were badly out of round causing the bearing parting line to "pinch" in thereby leaving no clearance for an oil film. I'll tell you what Jake did in the next story. Thanks.
Pat
PS: I never take afternoon naps! I get up at 5:00 to fix my wife's breakfast and lunch and drive her to her car pool rendezvous in Inverness. She is still in the schools as a Teacher's Asst. I often go to bed as soon as it is dark O'clock. I still find time to give Ellie Bear a "pickle tickle"! LOL!

I see I have some reading to do.:cheers:
Waggin's friend and his fun time with PFogel and his great times and knowledge I have neglected to read :read2::-D

Jake King told me that if I could get my short block to him down in Burlington, he would examine it and prepare me something good to take back in about a week. As I suspected, the rods were badly out of round causing the bearing parting line to "pinch" in thereby leaving no clearance for an oil film. I'll tell you what Jake did in the next story. Thanks.
Pat

Thanks Pat, I was just curious (as always). :) Looking forward to the next post.

PS: I never take afternoon naps! I get up at 5:00 to fix my wife's breakfast and lunch and drive her to her car pool rendezvous in Inverness. She is still in the schools as a Teacher's Asst. I often go to bed as soon as it is dark O'clock. I still find time to give Ellie Bear a "pickle tickle"! LOL!

Lol! I was just giving demonseed some crap. I should be so lucky to be retired. I just got layed off and have been spending my days looking for employment. :angry7: Not fun.

Joe

You mentioned Ronnie, Pat; here is a shot of him with the brutal little Hemi Hornet from the same race.

ronnie sox (Medium).jpg

Pat, were you ever involved with any factory support for drag racing back in the day? If so, how involved were they with taking input from the race teams and engineering improvements?

Thanks, again.

Ramcharger, Rob and fishbreath, greetings.
I'm really sad to hear you got laid off. That can be scary. It has happened to me before but instead of being unemployed, I became self employed. I lucked out. I hate the stress it brings on. Is your wife still working?
Rob, if I passed away tonight, I have had a wonderful ride and it continues. Thank you.
Fishbreath, I never had anything to do with the factory reps ever. I did get second hand information from the guys. I do remember when Chrysler was pulling out of drag racing when they promised Billy Stepp support. Billy let him know with no holds barred how he felt. Don told me about the new Challenger situation and that is as close as I ever got to that. The picture with Ronnie is the Dodge Colt. It was later sold to Billy Stepp who then sold it to Gil Kirk of Rod Shop fame. Stepp's driver - I think it was Melvin Yow but it could have been Stuart McDade - made one last pass with it and crashed totally demolishing the car. I wasn't there. I'm glad it didn't happen to Ronnie.
Pat

Ramcharger, Rob and fishbreath, greetings.
I'm really sad to hear you got laid off. That can be scary. It has happened to me before but instead of being unemployed, I became self employed. I lucked out. I hate the stress it brings on. Is your wife still working?

I was engaged last summer. Things didn't work out so just it's just me and my two dogs. I just spent the last 4 hours scouring the internet for opportunites. I found a whole two jobs I'm qualified for. The economy sucks and it has hit the technology/telecommunications field pretty hard.

Back to the grindstone. :) I know I'll find the right job here soon..... I hope.

Yup, Pat, it dawned on me that the car was a Colt mere miliseconds after I uploaded the post. I need a good spanking! :munky2:

I got the impression from watching that car that the wheelbase was just too short for the power of the engine. Ronnie probably could have kept the front wheels off the ground for the entire quarter mile. Nevertheless, I remain impressed with the innovation that went into that car.

There are some guys here on FABO that are putting small blocks into Colts. I hope they post progress pictures.

Id like to take a minute to thank you pat for the awesome art work and for all of the help you gave me on the "waggin" and introduce you to all I have met here on F.A.B.O. ya'll.........Dis Iz My Dawg Pat. Pat and ellen you are great friend's thank's for everything! Curtis

is this waggin a factory 2 door or a better then factory design ??? REALLY KOOL,,,

Lol! I was just giving demonseed some crap. I should be so lucky to be retired. I just got layed off and have been spending my days looking for employment. :angry7: Not fun.

Joe

Jesus Joe, what's this about naps, heh I ain't that old yet.8) Good stories Pat keep em coming.

Terry

Man the stories are great and as a young un there is a a lot that is being learned especially about Sox&Martin, Don Garlits, and others that got me hooked on mopars besides my dad and other relatives. As for the classic pictures......priceless. Keep them coming.
Thanks Pat, RAMCHARGER, FSTFSH66, fishbreath,and the rest.

fstfish66.....Good heavens what an animal that Barracuda seems to be! I would be honored to be parked next to that!
Pat

I loaded up the wounded short block in my dad's truck and headed south to the Sox & Martin shop. From there Jake directed me to a place where he was storing all kinds of parts. We put my engine on a stand and then we began pulling the rods and pistons. He told me it was a miracle it didn't spit the rods out the sides and that is what would have happened if it had been one of those multiple runs. On one side of the shop, there was a row of about 10 hemis on dollies or engine stands. Some were his and some belonged to S&M. S&M were careful not to use stressed parts too long but there were parts there that Jake said he would never have second thoughts about using and good used parts could be had much cheaper. That I liked! My Grandmother, wonderful lady that she was, said she would loan me what I needed to fix my car, "whatever it takes". Jake and I first checked the crank and block. The block was just fine but he said he would rather put another crank in it even though mine could be saved. He dug out a new one in the box with the factory nitriding intact so we sat it aside. He pulled out a set of race pistons that were 12-1/2 to one and I began to get greedy! He dug out a second set that he had milled down from the big ones that would net an 11-to-1 ratio complete with tappered tool steel pins and they were less expensive. Jake specified the ring land position on all the pistons they used and he claimed these would give the tightest stack and maintain piston stability in the bores - they were .030 oversized. He rooted through another cabinet that contained a collection of cams. Most were experimental S&M pieces from their R&D. He knew that I mostly street raced (he told me I was stupid for doing it too!) so he pulled out a Racer Brown roller and a set of roller tappets. Now I just had to have that!!! I don't recall the specs but it was really big for 1969. Jake said the pistons were already valve clearanced for it. He didn't want me to use used springs so he said I would have to buy those new. Then it got down to money, asking how much did I plan to spend. I put it back on him and said, "Make me a deal on all this stuff plus the boring and balancing and assembling the whole ball of wax." You guys had better sit down for this one.......$1,000 cash! Try to get that at today's prices. Yeah right! Still, back then, that was a lot of cabbage. My Grandmother had given me a blank check but I thought I would give her a call to make sure that amount was allowable. She couldn't believe it cost that much to "fix my car" and suggested that I get rid of that hunk of junk and buy something that didn't go vrooom, vroom and have to shift. I told her this was what I really wanted and that with all the right stuff, it would not break again. She gave in and I promised to pay her. (she later forgave the debt telling me it was a little "inheritance" prior to her passing). I paid Jake in advance and we shook hands. I would have loved to have stayed and watched the master do his thing but he said he didn't like to be watched or even talked to when he was machining and fitting. Anyway, I was a student at the University of Kentucky too and I couldn't miss classes or the 2 part-time jobs I had. Jake called on the following Thursday and said everything was ready. I got Dad's truck again and left around 6:00 Friday evening and I drove all night, stopping only for gas, coffee, and to pee and poop. Jake even had the thing on a wheeled dolly, all wrapped up and water tight. Damn I was tired from driving but then they invited me to go to Rockingham with them. Who could say no to that? It was a match race event with a lot of the top dogs like Hubert Platt, Bill Jenkins, Nicholson, Roy Hill and a team of black guys down from New York. Ronnie raced the Grump and won. I was so worn out I don't know how in the world I kept from falling asleep at the wheel on the way home. I remember having a flat tire on a big hill in Tennessee and getting home on gas fumes completely out of money. I had to get some much needed sleep and accumulate some funds before I could get the Maysville Hemi back together. It took about a month because we found it would be wise to replace the clutch outfit. I also had to take my heads down to Cincinnati to D & J Automotive to be set up with the new roller springs and special retainers Jake had specified. Dick Weinle, part owner of D&J, raced a gorgeous candy emerald green Corvette with a Hilborn injected alcohol hemi in it so I knew my heads were in good hands. When we unwrapped the block to look it over, we were amazed to see some of the trick stuff Jake did for my hemi. He had put in a set of Carillo rods that were barely used with 7/16 rod bolts. They had bearing pins just like in aluminum rods. These were very expensive pieces!! Jake had also fixed the main caps with dowels so that they could not possibly move and would reinstall exactly the same every time. The only thing left to get was a bronze drive gear and we got that from Isky. I also scored an early Moroso cable drive tach and distributor! Soon, the Maysville Hemi will breath fire again!
Pat

Pat, you should write a book and publish it. Gearheads would love it.
But not if it means the stories stop here.
Every day I'm in awe of your car and your stories.
Its great to see another OLD GIEZEER as my grandson calls me, that loves the Prostreet thing.
You sound like someone I would be great friends with!
Keep em commin,
Ken

awesome stories keep them coming! im loving this!

Wow! I can't believe you got all that and machining/assembly too for 1K! With dowled rod caps and bearing pins I see no more bearing failures in future installments of street racing stories. I can't wait to hear how that Hemi runs with the new pistons and cam. :)

Off to Rockingham to see Ronnie Sox race. Man, you've got some good stories!

Demonseed,

C'mon man, what fun would it be if couldn't give each other crap now and then? :)

Pat, I am totally enthralled by your story here. Yes, this story should become a book. Imagine having your engine built by Sox & Martin's engine builder. It gets better by the minute.

One interesting thing: back in the early '70s, I bought a car mag that advertised a centerfold spread of Grumpy Jenkins. Lo and behold, there he is, laid out on a bearskin (like Burt Reynolds posed for a ladies mag back in the day) wearing little blue undies with a big fat stogie sticking out of his mouth. It is priceless! I should try to scan it, but it is on two pages.

Fishbreath, I remember that picture of Jenkins! Made me want to barf! Anytime I was ever around him, he had no sense of humor at all. He was a lot like Garlits....Mr. Intensity. The only time I ever saw him lighten up was once when he beat Ronnie and the other time was when Linda Vaughn hugged him and his face got buried in her boobs at the US Nationals at Indy!
Pat
PS: They didn't call him "The Grump" for nothing.

-
Back