Dis is My Ride!!!

-
You know, I never imagined I'd be doing this or that any one would really care. You guys have added quality to my life and helped me relive some irreplaceable moments. There is no doubt I could be friends with every one of you. I have a regret though. I was always the one taking the pictures with all this and in doing so, I never got to be in any of them. Has that ever happened to any of you? I make sure now that I'm in the pictures somewhere when I'm out with Big Daddy on tour!
I just love the Pro Street look because I always loved the race cars that somewhere inspired them. Your car is what it is all about. I would love to have a picture of that to frame and put on my office wall with your signature.
I'm sure that you are like me also in that we can appreciate not just the Pro Streets, but also the diamonds in the rough, the projects where no one gives up and what they have is the best they can do, the Mopars that don't look so hot but they will blow your doors off, the survivor cars and the meticulously restored ones. I love this site because it brings all of us together. Everyone has something great to tell and I hope you will tell me something good you remember, Ken. With a car like that, it "ain't your first rodeo!"
Pat

Pat, your stories have me on the edge of my seat!! I am anxious to read more, thanks you for the wonderful reading!! :-D

66340sedan,
you have a fine collection of cars. I have always liked those early A-bodies. My buddy waggin is big time into them. We have another friend, Jim Slater who is finishing a 2-door sedan like yours. I'll bet that thing will eat rustangs and camereos with that 340 in it.
Pat

pfogel ide be honored to park next to you and your demon any time,,,i just hope we are not parked next to each other at the starting line,,ide look like i was in reverse when you launched,,,,LOL

Pat man you really should write a book on this stuff...it would be my favourite book of all time! I love your posts man and the demon is soo goddarn sweet...i want my scamp to have the prostreet stance when she's all done...do you have any video footage of that beast running? i think we'd all like to see some!

Wow Pat! I just sat here and read all of this from the beginning. I am just in awe of the life you got to live. All of the things you got to do and the people you got to meet in the process just blows me away.

Thank you very much for sharing this part of your life with us.
Please keep the stories coming. :cheers:

been reading this for a few days and im just in awe i wish it was still like it was when you were groing up... i wish i could have meet my hero (boyd) before he passed i am truely in awe of you great sir......

p.s. more reading material please thank you in adance

Mr. Fogel, when I saw your car I was first amazed at how awesome it is, then I felt a little misty. The first "real" race car that I saw that was not in a magazine was Herb McCandless' Demon on a Ramp truck on its way to Sanford NC or Rockingham NC. Your car brought back that memory as vivid as yesterday! I am fortunate to live in Pittsboro NC which is about 25 miles south of Burlington NC on rt 87. It is 75 miles north of Rockingham. I have met Ronnie Sox, Richard Petty, Herb McCandless and his boys, Kenny Lazerri, Bob Reed, Shirley Muldowney and "Big Daddy". To all on this site, make it a point to go to "The Drag Racing Museum"! You will not regret it. It is about an hour North of Mickey's world and if you love Drag Racing, it will make you a kid. Enjoy that ride and keep the stories coming. :cheers:

Mr.Fogel, Im the ripe age of 29, I pretty much missed the good ole days, My pop tells me stories of street racin his 70 hemi cuda, But with your stories of Sox-Martin, Big Daddy, I really appreciate the mopar history,and the cool street racing stories thanx alot!! I live in south eastern Pa, Im close to Maplegrove and cecil county Dragoways, I also often drive by old US 30 dragoway ever do any racin in these parts?

I agree with dd69a, I'm 28 so I also missed the good ole days as well, and I really appreciate the history and the stories. I also like seeing the pictures that have been posted, cause you get a hint how it used to be back in the day when muscle cars roamed the streets.

demon seed: Never saw that video. A fun trip down "memory lane" for me too. Thanks for reposting it.

Thanxs demon seed, Awesome!! I dont think i have saw to many videos where ol Sox and Martin didnt win! One more thing, What they made the mopars add weight to there cars? What they kickin so much *** they wanted to level out the field?

Great video! Yes, Furd and Chebby both whined to NHRA that the Hemis were killing them, so MoPar had to run with heavier cars or weaker engines. NASCAR did the same thing for the same reason.

ide love to meet richard petty,,,last great american icon ...
Richard Petty is another class act. It is amazing that he has survived NASCAR for so long. I visited him at his home in Randalman (I don't know if I spelled that right), a really nice ranch style home. Me and my friend Chad went there to see about getting some parts for his hemi. Richard had some of his workers and relatives there and he had prepared this cast iron caldron full of chili and he was stirring it with what looked like a circumcised canoe paddle. He served us up a bowl and it was really tasty. Dale Inman was there too. Richard said that he really wasn't supposed to be selling any parts because that was in his deal with Chrysler so Chad didn't get what he wanted. However, in one bay, the old 43 Jr Barracuda drag car was sitting. There was no engine or trans in it and it was basically a roller collecting dust. Richard and Dale said if we saw anything there we wanted we could deal because nothing there was tied up with Chrysler. I found two special carbs. They were custom-built 850 center squiters with 50 cc pumps. The trick thing was that they were made prior to the "Centra-
Flow" carb production. The guided roller for the mechanical linkage had a spud tig-welded to the center body that the threaded axle went into. All the production ones were integrally cast. The air horns were milled. I bought them for $100 each. I kept them all these years and around '95, I took them to Chuck Gulledge, a Holley tech rep that went into his own business in Clearwater, FL, and I had him restore them. Chuck was another special friend that I lost to cancer....about 10-years ago. I wrapped them up and stored them in a plastic tote until last year. A friend in Springhill Florida who goes by "Tattoo Bill" really wanted them so we made a deal. I took pictures of them before turning them over. I can't get pictures to work on this site and it frustrates the hell out of me. If someone wants to see them, send me a regular email address and and I'll email them out of Adobe Photoshop. Maybe once you get them you can post them.
Also while at Richards, he took us in the house to show us his "museum"....no not car stuff...he collected all kinds of clocks and watches. It was truly amazing.
Behind the shop was kind of a drainage canal. There in the water and muck must have 25 or so hemi blocks - all destroyed. There were 8-bolt cranks sticking up out of the mud as well as busted hemi heads. Richard said he was going to have it filled and leveled over because he was expanding. Before we left, one of his guys told us that out front, before all the blacktop went down, there is a whole wing car burried.I don't think he was lying because he had nothing to gain. He said much of the R&D parts were destroyed on purpose and that many NASCAR hemi rods were pitched into the muck.
I am out of time now but I intend to reply to everyone that has posted.
Thanks
Pat

Great stuff, Pat. I saw Richard Petty win a Daytona 500 back in '74 or '75, I don't remember which; Marty Robbins was also in the race, but wrecked.

I would not doubt the story about the buried wing car, especially when you mentioned that they would not allow Richard to sell any old factory parts. Not to mention that Chrysler destroyed all their old press patterns and dies. Oh, well.

"Circumcised canoe paddle"...love it.

Hi all you Mopar addicts! I hope you all had a good weekend.
Here is the next chapter on getting the Maysville Hemi back in action.
I got a call from Dick about my cylinder heads and it wasn't what I wanted to hear. The heads were not busted in any way, but he said my stock valves would not work with the big roller cam springs and the required retainers. I had to get longer stemmed valves or I could not use the cam. I was really beginning to sweat the cost of all of this. I scrounged up everything Chevy that I had left to sell; a couple of early pigs with posi/gears, a 409 intake with carbs, a Borg Warner 4-speed and a set of chrome reversed wheels....other small stuff. I took a beating when I sold this stuff but at least I got enough out of it to buy the long stemmed stainless valves, pay for the multi-angle valve job, port cleanup and a great valve spring setup. Do you think that was the end of the hassle? We started assembling the engine and found that the taller valve/spring assembly upset the factory rocker arm geometry. Even with the adjustable rocker arms, you could see that it was all funky and a disaster waiting to happen. If I shimmed the rocker stands, I had to have new push rods. I called Jake and asked him what I should do. He said to really make it right that I had to do both. The good news was that he had everything I needed. S&W had built a hemi Duster for a customer and they were taking it for a test and tune and to deliver it in Richmond, VA. They invited me to meet them there and he would bring the parts. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time and money to make that trip so I had him put the stuff in the mail. I remember going to one of those little loan companies and borrowing $300! Well, we got the parts and everything lined up perfectly. I even had a little money left over so I bought chromed valve covers. I remember how that beast sounded when we fired it up! A large circle of beer drinking friends had gathered for the celebration. The engine was very crisp and responsive. We had also put collector extensions on the headers as per a Chrysler racing bulletin. I ended up keeping the Sun electric tach on it because I didn't want to booger up the firewall with a hole for the mechanical tach cable. In any case, the cable wouldn't have been long enough. I later sold that stuff for nearly twice what I paid for it. I was so happy to finally have the Hemi back on the road but, man, did it ever suck gas!! It would fume you to death if you left it running while you were gassing up. It idled at 1,200 rpm. It was a little lazy under 3,000 rpm and at cruising speed with the 4.10 gears, the cam was still lumpy. It was a whole different ballgame though from 4 to 8,000 rpm! It was like lighting an after burner. This was the first time I really was concerned about those lousy drum brakes because it put that needle in the dash so fast and the top end march was awesome. I gave up a lot of bottom end and I figured if anybody got me out of the hole, I'd blow their doors off on the other end. About 3-months went by and no one wanted to race me. I couldn't buy a race. I paid off my loan but I wanted one of those cool fiberglass 6-pack hoods so I went in debt again. I painted it red to match the rest of the car. I remember adding a Stewart Warner electric pump and we trunk-mounted the battery. The hemi ate spark plugs like they were going out of style. To pick up the spark, Cragar had just introduced a capacitive discharge box (no, MSD was never the first!) so we put one of those on it and it helped some. The worst thing about changing the plugs was that oil would seep down the spark plug tubes and into the chamber every time you removed a plug. That meant that a brand new plug would have to face an oil fire the first few minutes of use. The hemi would smoke like a freight train until it cleared itself out. Several times we took it up on hwy 52 at our "track" to try to dial in a leave. Anything under 2,500 and the car would bog and it seemed like anything above it would make it go up in smoke with the street tires. It wasn't as easy or as fun to drive as it originally was. I had made the mistake of making a race car out of the street car that was my daily driver. Oh well, the fat was in the fryer and it was what it was. My Grandmother hated the car. I often drove her to church Sunday mornings in Flemingsburg and she was embarrassed by the noise it made and all the attention it got.
I also remember something really terrible happening at this time as well....I had a friend who lived in Manchester, OH who had just bought a new '69 hemi Superbee, yellow with a black interior. I met him and his girlfriend in the drive-in circuit and they became good friends of mine. He worked for the Highway Department for the state. One day, he was on a crew laying down blacktop. They told me he was "trying to catch a mouse" when he was run over by the asphalt truck and was killed instantly. His girlfriend nearly went insane. She had bought him a "Ratroaster" intake manifold for his car for an up-coming birthday gift. She later gave it to me saying he would have wanted me to have it. She started crying and I started crying and we cried until we just couldn't anymore.
The hemi really liked the new intake and as you can expect, it sucked even more gas! A few months went by and still no one wanted to race. Jerry and I decided to see what it would do at the strip so we set up a plan. We decided we would take the exhaust system off of it from the header collectors back. We put a set of 4.89 gears in the Dana. Jerry had just gotten a new set of M&H wrinkle wall slicks (10") mounted on Cragars and we put them on the car and adjusted the pinion snubber. We loaded the Roadrunner on his ramp truck Saturday night to be ready to head out Sunday morning to Mountain Park Dragway. We spent the night in the shop using shop rags for pillows, drinking Stroh's beer and watching 8 mm **** on a white sheet hung on the back wall. (We used to get first-run films from Billy Stepp)
It was a nice day at the strip, sunny but chilly. We felt like the hemi would like the denser air and it did. Back in the day, the starting lines were always coated with VHT goo and then the rosin. The announcer would invite the hot cars to do the "melt-in" honors and specifically invited us to do so. Also back in the day, there were no limits on burnouts. Everyone burned across the starting line, usually with the driver's door hanging open to let the smoke out. Hubert Platt was there that day with a Super Stock Cobra Jet and I remember seeing him pulling 3-foot wheelies with one hand holding the door open. The hemi was hooking hard and lifting the left front wheel about 6-inches, leaving at 5,000 rpm. The second gear shift came up really fast with those 4.89 gears. The first run was an 11.72 and I thought I was "all that and a bag of chips"! Now guys, I know there are street cars out here today that do this without a sweat but that just wasn't how it was back in the day. Well-tuned hemi cars ran in the mid to high 13s and they were considered fast. We let just a little more air out of the slicks (to about 10 lbs) and made another pass. It was the best leave that car ever did with the 1-2 power shift and the 2-3 power shift very clean. When I powered into 4th, no gear. On the return road I could only get it in neutral. One of the eye bolts in the pressure plate broke in half causing 1/3 of pressure still applied to the disc. It ruined our day. There was no power winch on the ramp truck and we always drove the cars up on them. Sox & Martin never had power winches either! A whole bunch of guys helped us push and load the car by hand. It was a bitter sweet kind of thing to have the car run so good but then to bring it home broken and having to sink more money into it yet. I proudly showed everyone the time slip but it worked against getting any street races all the more....until one night at the drive-ins when some guys from Ripley, Oh, came in running their mouths. That's the next chapter.
Pat

cant wait for that next chapter pat...man you really got to put together like a book or something of this stuff...its awesome! i look forward to these posts...and man your roadrunner sounded like a blast!

Hi all you Mopar addicts! I hope you all had a good weekend.
Here is the next chapter on getting the Maysville Hemi back in action.
I got a call from Dick about my cylinder heads and it wasn't what I wanted to hear. The heads were not busted in any way, but he said my stock valves would not work with the big roller cam springs and the required retainers. I had to get longer stemmed valves or I could not use the cam. I was really beginning to sweat the cost of all of this. I scrounged up everything Chevy that I had left to sell; a couple of early pigs with posi/gears, a 409 intake with carbs, a Borg Warner 4-speed and a set of chrome reversed wheels....other small stuff. I took a beating when I sold this stuff but at least I got enough out of it to buy the long stemmed stainless valves, pay for the multi-angle valve job, port cleanup and a great valve spring setup. Do you think that was the end of the hassle? We started assembling the engine and found that the taller valve/spring assembly upset the factory rocker arm geometry. Even with the adjustable rocker arms, you could see that it was all funky and a disaster waiting to happen.

Ahhh, the joys of high performance, lol. Been there done that but with a SB LA of course. Never had the opportunity to work on a Hemi.

If I shimmed the rocker stands, I had to have new push rods. I called Jake and asked him what I should do. He said to really make it right that I had to do both. The good news was that he had everything I needed. S&W had built a hemi Duster for a customer and they were taking it for a test and tune and to deliver it in Richmond, VA. They invited me to meet them there and he would bring the parts. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time and money to make that trip so I had him put the stuff in the mail. I remember going to one of those little loan companies and borrowing $300! Well, we got the parts and everything lined up perfectly. I even had a little money left over so I bought chromed valve covers. I remember how that beast sounded when we fired it up! A large circle of beer drinking friends had gathered for the celebration. The engine was very crisp and responsive.

I love the smell of a fresh engine! I imagine with the roller cam and higher zinc phospate content oil of the day there was no need for a 20 minute break in period.

We had also put collector extensions on the headers as per a Chrysler racing bulletin. I ended up keeping the Sun electric tach on it because I didn't want to booger up the firewall with a hole for the mechanical tach cable. In any case, the cable wouldn't have been long enough. I later sold that stuff for nearly twice what I paid for it.

I have had 3 Sun tachs in my life and never had one break on me. Old tech is not neccesarily bad tech. :)

I was so happy to finally have the Hemi back on the road but, man, did it ever suck gas!! It would fume you to death if you left it running while you were gassing up. It idled at 1,200 rpm. It was a little lazy under 3,000 rpm and at cruising speed with the 4.10 gears, the cam was still lumpy. It was a whole different ballgame though from 4 to 8,000 rpm! It was like lighting an after burner. This was the first time I really was concerned about those lousy drum brakes because it put that needle in the dash so fast and the top end march was awesome. I gave up a lot of bottom end and I figured if anybody got me out of the hole, I'd blow their doors off on the other end. About 3-months went by and no one wanted to race me. I couldn't buy a race. I paid off my loan but I wanted one of those cool fiberglass 6-pack hoods so I went in debt again. I painted it red to match the rest of the car. I remember adding a Stewart Warner electric pump and we trunk-mounted the battery. The hemi ate spark plugs like they were going out of style. To pick up the spark, Cragar had just introduced a capacitive discharge box (no, MSD was never the first!) so we put one of those on it and it helped some.

When you say it "ate plugs", do you mean that it fouled them out?

The worst thing about changing the plugs was that oil would seep down the spark plug tubes and into the chamber every time you removed a plug. That meant that a brand new plug would have to face an oil fire the first few minutes of use. The hemi would smoke like a freight train until it cleared itself out. Several times we took it up on hwy 52 at our "track" to try to dial in a leave. Anything under 2,500 and the car would bog and it seemed like anything above it would make it go up in smoke with the street tires. It wasn't as easy or as fun to drive as it originally was. I had made the mistake of making a race car out of the street car that was my daily driver. Oh well, the fat was in the fryer and it was what it was.

Yep, there's more to performance than just raw numbers. :read2: I've found my builds to be much more conservative as I've gotten older.

My Grandmother hated the car. I often drove her to church Sunday mornings in Flemingsburg and she was embarrassed by the noise it made and all the attention it got.
I also remember something really terrible happening at this time as well....I had a friend who lived in Manchester, OH who had just bought a new '69 hemi Superbee, yellow with a black interior. I met him and his girlfriend in the drive-in circuit and they became good friends of mine. He worked for the Highway Department for the state. One day, he was on a crew laying down blacktop. They told me he was "trying to catch a mouse" when he was run over by the asphalt truck and was killed instantly. His girlfriend nearly went insane. She had bought him a "Ratroaster" intake manifold for his car for an up-coming birthday gift. She later gave it to me saying he would have wanted me to have it. She started crying and I started crying and we cried until we just couldn't anymore.

My condolences. I've lost some really good friends over the years too. :angry7:

The hemi really liked the new intake and as you can expect, it sucked even more gas! A few months went by and still no one wanted to race. Jerry and I decided to see what it would do at the strip so we set up a plan. We decided we would take the exhaust system off of it from the header collectors back. We put a set of 4.89 gears in the Dana. Jerry had just gotten a new set of M&H wrinkle wall slicks (10") mounted on Cragars and we put them on the car and adjusted the pinion snubber. We loaded the Roadrunner on his ramp truck Saturday night to be ready to head out Sunday morning to Mountain Park Dragway. We spent the night in the shop using shop rags for pillows, drinking Stroh's beer and watching 8 mm **** on a white sheet hung on the back wall. (We used to get first-run films from Billy Stepp)
It was a nice day at the strip, sunny but chilly. We felt like the hemi would like the denser air and it did. Back in the day, the starting lines were always coated with VHT goo and then the rosin. The announcer would invite the hot cars to do the "melt-in" honors and specifically invited us to do so. Also back in the day, there were no limits on burnouts. Everyone burned across the starting line, usually with the driver's door hanging open to let the smoke out. Hubert Platt was there that day with a Super Stock Cobra Jet and I remember seeing him pulling 3-foot wheelies with one hand holding the door open. The hemi was hooking hard and lifting the left front wheel about 6-inches, leaving at 5,000 rpm. The second gear shift came up really fast with those 4.89 gears. The first run was an 11.72 and I thought I was "all that and a bag of chips"! Now guys, I know there are street cars out here today that do this without a sweat but that just wasn't how it was back in the day.

That was fast! My bother-in-law had an all black 383 road runner in the late 70's that would run 12's on street tires and break into the 11's on slicks. That car was incredible and I'll never forget that rumbling, big cam lope. I was just a kid back then, but that car was what inspired my love of Mopars.

Well-tuned hemi cars ran in the mid to high 13s and they were considered fast. We let just a little more air out of the slicks (to about 10 lbs) and made another pass. It was the best leave that car ever did with the 1-2 power shift and the 2-3 power shift very clean. When I powered into 4th, no gear. On the return road I could only get it in neutral. One of the eye bolts in the pressure plate broke in half causing 1/3 of pressure still applied to the disc. It ruined our day. There was no power winch on the ramp truck and we always drove the cars up on them. Sox & Martin never had power winches either! A whole bunch of guys helped us push and load the car by hand. It was a bitter sweet kind of thing to have the car run so good but then to bring it home broken and having to sink more money into it yet. I proudly showed everyone the time slip but it worked against getting any street races all the more....until one night at the drive-ins when some guys from Ripley, Oh, came in running their mouths. That's the next chapter.
Pat

Looking forward to the next chapter! 8)

Hi ramcharger,
That 383 RR was one quick bird! The Hemi was on a tear on that second run and was easily a low 11 or high 10 second pass until the clutch gave up. You'll find what it did when I have time to write the next chapter.
Pat

Hi ramcharger,
That 383 RR was one quick bird! The Hemi was on a tear on that second run and was easily a low 11 or high 10 second pass until the clutch gave up. You'll find what it did when I have time to write the next chapter.
Pat

My bro in-law was a mechanic in Tennessee from before I was born, was busted running white lightning in the late 60's and was given a choice, Vietnam or Jail. When he got back (from Vietnam) he picked up the RR and built it up to what it was in the late 70's into the 80's. He decided to sell it in the mid-eighties as he had a baby on the way for something like 3 grand IIRC and let a buddy test drive it. His "buddy" missed a gear and blew it up. Put a rod through the block. :angryfir::angryfir: IIRC, he still got 2k for it. No rust, never driven in winter, perfect interior, all black with Cragar S/S's on it. I was too young at the time to understand the specifics of his build, but IIRC, he was running a 13.5:1 comp ratio.

I loved that car. I remember asking him why he hadn't machined the block for four bolt mains. He said "'Cause Mopars don't need 'em". He is a man of few words, lol.

Thanks for those details, ramcharger. At over 13-to-1 compression, it required the very best of fuel. I was smart to have bought the lower compression pistons from Jake for the Hemi because it was my daily driver. I kept the Sunoco station in business!! The 383 engine is one of the most under appreciated in the Mopar line up. It was rare that you ever saw one blown up, especially if the car was an automatic. I have no idea what the Hemi revved to when that I-bolt broke but I was power shifting at 7,500 rpm. I was grateful for all the good parts Jake put into my shortblock. Too bad you couldn't have that Black RR today with those flashy Cragars. Rock on my friend!
Pat

Pat, keep the stories coming. Seems like yesterday doesn't it? I enjoy reading about your adventures.

-
Back