Dis is My Ride!!!

-
It's Saturday morning and I have a few moments so I can tell you what happened next.
When we got there, the place was already full of cars and transporters and we got there at 8:30 am! We had hoped to pit near S&M but couldn't. His group had a very nice designated area close to the restrooms, etc. Oh well, they deserved the perks! We got it unloaded and walked down to see if we could find Ronnie and Buddy and Jake. We found them all kicked back and relaxed - they came in the day before. I don't know what was wrong with Buddy but he wasn't very friendly. I noticed it when I asked Ronnie if he would still make a pass in my car. He just looked at Ronnie and got up and left so I just avoided him after that. Jake was cool and asked what I had done recently to the car and if we covered every detail at least twice. He walked down to our pit with us and we lifted off the glass 6-pak hood and he checked it out. He said he wished we had the scoop sealed to the carbs to take advantage of the air at top end but it was good that we had the original air cleaner base on it to smooth air transition. He got in the car and started it, blipping the throttle for response, checking the oil pressure (90 lbs cold), feeling the clutch and the shifter. He said it reminded him of that '69 RR they used to run that had the cut out rear wheel wells (I hated that and so did Jake. Some fool at Chrysler came up with that.) They were starting time trials at 10:00 and they notified all the drivers what staging lanes to use and when the match races would begin and some exhibition cars would go down. TV Tommy Ivo was there with a drop dead gorgeous fueler. It was inside an enclosed transport with plexiglas side windows and a candy tangerine Corvette T-top parked on top of it! He was a friendly guy and a real showman. Ronnie's focus was on the Duster match race car. They had also brought a winged car with a 440 6-pak that Jake had recently finished. Jake said the Duster was ready to take on all comers but he was concerned about the richness of the carbs on the 440 car. It was an automatic. Ronnie fired up the Duster and it was barely standing room only as the crowd packed in! He had jacked up the rear and just let it idle in first gear to circulate lube and put a little temperature in the gears. He let it warm up to 180 degrees and shut it off, let it off the jack and checked the air pressure in the slicks. He had some brand new Firestones on it with a new super soft compound and he was anxious to feel them.
We didn't come to race the Hemi, but rather to just make some timed passes and see what it would do. We were after impressive time slips. We were in the first group to make time runs and the track was all prepared with VHT. A red 427 Camaro was in the other lane from me and it really sounded good. I just kept my focus on the tree. I cut a great light leaving on that last yellow carrying the wheels about a foot in the air. I clicked off every shift perfectly at 7,500 rpm. I never saw the Camaro after I left the line until he was behind me on the return road. I kept hearing an awful thumping sound when I hit bumps on the return road so I knew something happened in the back. I stopped at the et shack and got my slip....10.96! Jerry and I knew it had the guts to do it! I was exstatic! We popped open a couple of ice-cold stroh's and celebrated. (We always had our beer but we were very careful never to over-do it at the track. Ronnie didn't drink and I never saw Jake ever do it and Buddy was so anal I'm sure he never did so we kept the beer low so as not to be seen and maybe looked down upon.) We walked down to the S&M pit. Jake said he and Ronnie went down to the starting line to watch the car and they both said they liked what they saw. Ronnie told me he was sorry but that he would not be making a pass in my car. I graciously accepted. They said it was just like their SS/B car and I was in heaven. I showed them the time slip and then they told me that they thought that it was great but capable of more. I asked what they thought I should do. They asked about tire pressure and was the car "twisty" on the top end. I told them no and we ran the 12" slicks at 10 lbs. Ronnie thought maybe go to 8 lbs but then he and Jake agreed that the "squash" and wrinkle was perfect when it left so they said to leave it alone. Jake asked where we had the timing set (I don't remember now just what it was) but Jake said he had just enough time to put a light on it for us. He used his because we didn't bring one. As I remember, he backed off the timing a few degrees and then he told us to check the plugs. We pulled one and showed it to him and he said it was a little lean for his liking. He said that often happened when the air cleaner tray was used like we did. We didn't have any jets with us because we never intended to get into all that. We thought about stretching the metering rod springs a little but Jake said no. He told us to follow him back and that he would give us a set of "colder" plugs. This seemed odd to us but we were not about to question the master and look a set of gift plugs in the mouth! We did as he told us. I want to add here what a cool, laid-back guy Jake was. He was quiet and totally organized. Everything he had or did was in its perfect place. Every tool in his box was in a certain position and spotless clean. I never ever saw his hands dirty and the entire team was spotlessly attired. They were pure class and exuded confidence. Before we went back to put the plugs in, I told Jake how I hated putting new plugs in a hemi only to have them have to burn up oil that leaks past the tubes into the chamber. He told me then that Milodon was making neat aluminum tube seals with o-rings that totally eliminated that problem. I sure wished we had them.
Sure enough, we looked like mosquito control when we fired up the hemi. We fogged the place good. One guy yelled, "Turn that stinkin' son of ***** off...we're trying to grill hamburgers!" Another guy asked us if we blew the engine up. I remember his name was Joe and he hung around with us the rest of the day. Never saw him again after that.
The match race cars got their turns to make practice runs and Ronnie was first in line. Buddy put down the rosin and swept and Jake watched the actions of the chassis. Ronnie was happy with the burn-in and did his trade mark "hop". He would bring it up to were the cam broke even and just give the clutch a quick snap to feel the chassis react. This particular car had ladder bars and coil overs - not the usual SS springs and long shocks - and no pinion snubber. Somehow Ronnie could tell for certain how the car was going to leave "on the wood" when he felt that reaction. He was like one with the car. Man, that Pro Stock hemi sounded good - it sounded like it was turning 10-grand! Dominators feeding the big tunnel ram! When he popped the clutch, the Duster immediately went into the sky and hard onto the Don Hardy wheelie bars. Ronnie rowed those gears so fast that you could have sworn it was an automatic and he turned a 9-something. It lifted the wheels even on the shift to third. When they got back, they took some travel out of the front and reset the wheelie bars. There were some bad cars there to match race...Hillbilly Roy Hill in a hemi Duster, Reid Whisnant in his beautiful candy gold Duster, Wally Booth in a Camaro, Frank Iaconio driving someone elses car I think and Hubert Platt driving a Boss 429 Maverick. To make a long story short, Ronnie won his match. Roy Hill almost hit the wall and had to lift but he was hauling ***!
Our next move was to find what that thumping noise was in the back of the car. The violent leave had torn the rubber bumper off the pinion snubber. Poop happens! We were given only two pass tickets so we only had one more chance to run as they were dedicating the most time to the cars in competition - and there were a lot of Modified Production cars there. We decided to make the pass without the bumper but we left what was left of the snubber on the car. We needed something even if it mangled the floor pan. The traction had gotten better as Ronnie had predicted and there had been very little breakage on the starting line. I staged as shallow as I could and payed no attention as to who or what was in the other lane. I did everything like I did on the first run and it worked. The Hemi carried the wheels in first and I hammered that 4-speed. Whoever was in that other lane, again I never saw them. I got to the ET shack and got my ticket and it read......10.64! I was beside myself with pride and joy! There wasn't much noise from the rear this time. The metal part of the snubber had mangled the hell out of the floor pan section it contacted. I remember I was wearing a Sox & Martin T-shirt that I dearly loved and I ruined it getting melted rubber residue on it from the lower rear quarter panel getting out from under the car.
We celebrated with a few more Stroh's and loaded the car on the truck. Just the simple things Jake did for us made a lot of difference. I wished the car had been lighter. Anyway, the Tech Director told us if we ever brought that car back, it had to have a roll bar in it. I wasn't about to do that. This was the last time the Maysville Hemi was at a drag strip. I proudly displayed my time slips taped to the inside of the windshield. I couldn't get a street race if I had to. A lot of things were changing then for me. I was ready to graduate and I was engaged and all that fun at the strip had given me the fever to focus my racing there. Jane and I had planned to move to Florida so some serious changes were in the making. It's sad to say but I sold the Hemi RR and bought a new Chevy Impala Custom with a 350, auto and A/C...a real family car. I teamed up with Dave Lewis and Bruce Scott down in Cincinnati to go racing. They both worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine and had just sold their record holding C/G Corvette and were building a '69 Camaro to go after the D/MP record. My wife, Jane, had a room mate named Janet Newnam and she and Dave later got married. The Camaro held the record for 2-years. It had a beautiful Bill Roell candy blue over pearl paint job. One weekend early on, we won a "triple Crown" Modified deal. Friday night at Kilkare Dragway in Exenia, OH, we won and got $2,000 cash plus contingencies. We had to tear the motor down after every win to prove legal. After clearing tech, it was after midnight and we drove back to Dave's in Cinti, a few hours sleep and put the engine back together. Saturday night's part of the Triple Crown was at Edgewater there in Cincinnati. Again we won $2,000 plus contingencies and again it was a late night. We put the tunnel ram & carbs and the one pulled head and header in the trunk of the Chevelle SS tow car and headed for the third stretch down in Bowling Green, KY. We broke a ring gear on the first time run and didn't have a spare. David Hutchins was there (later known from the Wayne County Speedshop) racing a Chevy injected fastback Mustang and he lent us his spare. We beat him using his parts! Well, again we won the meet and we set a new national record at Bowling Green with I think a 10.62. We won $6,000 cash plus at least two grand in contingency prizes in one weekend. Another amazing thing was that each final run was against the hemi powered injected Challenger driven by Thompson out of the Rod Shop. He and Gil Kirk were definitely unhappy!! After I moved to Florida, one of my buddies back in Lexington told me that the guy that bought the RR was speeding on Nicholasville Road and hit an oak tree, shoving the engine to the back seat and killing him instantly. I cried my heart out at the thought of such a noble beast of a car ending up that way. I still have no sympathy for the idiot that did it. That's it for now. Gotta go.
Pat

Wow! A 10.64! And with a broken snubber to boot. I can't believe how cool that must have been to have the help of the S&M team. I wonder if if it was the colder plugs or the timing reduction that made the difference?

All my racing experience was bracket racing bikes, but it was always trophy racing. I entered 3 races, two at Great Lakes Dragway and one here at Bandimere and won all three. I wanted to get in the money classes but was in a position where I needed sponsorship to afford the parts I needed. I found that as you say, 100% focus on the light was key. I tuned out everything but the sound of my bike and the light.

Enough about me though, lol. Sorry to hear about the RR. That was one mean machine. I always admired you 4 speed guys and am still hemming and hawing about whether to go manual or auto on my Duster build. I saw a guy up at Bandimere running 8's IIRC in a four speed Chevelle. It was incredible to watch him carry the front end on every shift. What fun that's gotta be, lol! He did lose though as he missed a shift. I love that class but could never afford to be competitive.

Thanks again Pat for sharing your memories. :)

Hi ramcharger! It looks like you had some fun too. Did you go to Bandemere when Garlits was out there debuting the new hemi challenger and he match raced Judy Lily? I have a picture of that car with Don if you would like it. I'll need an email address. We never forget your need for a good job and we pray that something really good will come up for you soon.
Pat

Guys, I just got my copy in the mail! It has a great article on Jake King and it is right on! I'm going to by a chance on that Indy hemi too to benefit the Ronnie Sox Foundation. Check out the magazine!
Pat
Get your prostate checked! I'm having trouble and I hope it has been caught in time. If Ronnie had gone to the doctor a year earlier it may have been a different story.
Pat

Hi ramcharger! It looks like you had some fun too. Did you go to Bandemere when Garlits was out there debuting the new hemi challenger and he match raced Judy Lily? I have a picture of that car with Don if you would like it. I'll need an email address. We never forget your need for a good job and we pray that something really good will come up for you soon.
Pat

The ex and I were on the outs when Mopar Nationals were in town so I missed that show. :angry7: I did already get the pictures from you and I greatly appreciate it!! Thank you very, very much!

I saw a great opportunity this past Friday and sent out another resume and custom cover letter. I hope to hear back from them soon. :) Thank you so much for the prayers!

I really loved racing bikes! In one race my tach cable broke in the finals and I had to race by ear, and Won, lol! There is no finer feeling than seeing that "Win" on the time slip and seeing the thumbs up from the friends and fans on the return road. :cheers::cheers: Even if it was just trophy stuff, lol!

Hopefully, with any luck, I'll get the Duster done, get in the money class and have that great feeling again someday. 8)

Pat, that story was awesome, but a sad ending with the demise of the hemi RR...Keep them coming though man, i love reading this stuff...must have been a dream come true to hang out with the S and M guys

It was a wonderful time. That car didn't deserve to die that way. It was no doubt the 1st hemi Road runner ever and would be worth a fortune at Barrett Jackson. It is a shame that I only have one picture left of the car from a Kodak Instamatic. Others got wet in storage and were ruined. I have some pictures of Ronnie and Buddy but none of Jake. I'm not in the pictures because I was the only one taking them. I do have an old magazine that shows me interviewing Don Moody after he won TF at the Tulsa PRO meet. I was out there with S&M. I was wearing the nylon jacket Ronnie gave me.
Pat

Ramcharger, tell us some more about your racing! I don't care if it was a motorcycle, the story is about your life and I,for one, am interested!
Pat

Pat I'll try to get the scanner up and running,It'd be kewl to post those pics!!,I broke it scanning a pic of my butt(it's all cherly's fault!!!!)anywhoo,theres a pic of my butt floatin round so keep yur yungins away!!!

Ramcharger, tell us some more about your racing! I don't care if it was a motorcycle, the story is about your life and I,for one, am interested!
Pat

Thanks Pat, but it's just Trophy racing and no celebrities. I wouldn't want to bore the crap out everyone. You've got good stuff with real heros of the day, my stuff is just not as interesting.

Adding my stories to this thread would be like watering down good whiskey. :-D

might be like having som hottie servin up them whiskie's with a lil' umbrella in em!!! let's hear em!!!!
Thanks Pat, but it's just Trophy racing and no celebrities. I wouldn't want to bore the crap out everyone. You've got good stuff with real heros of the day, my stuff is just not as interesting.

Adding my stories to this thread would be like watering down good whiskey. :-D

this is an awesome thread. that demon is awesome. pat you are awesome. this site is awesome. and the stories are not boring at all

Pat, I really like your take on the personalities of Ronnie, Buddy, and Jake. I am in awe about the fact the Ronnie and Jake took the time to help you out. What class guys! This is the stuff we never read about in the magazine articles back in the day.

And Ram, you must be kidding. Very few of us will ever know the feeling of being on the starting line in front of a crowd. That is quite a bit more pressure than what most of us felt street racing.

Thanks for sharing, Pat.
I really enjoy reading these stories from real life, the stories from all you guys up on the scene.
It´s almost as I´ll be able to touch that era of time.
Thanks again

might be like having som hottie servin up them whiskie's with a lil' umbrella in em!!! let's hear em!!!!

Lol! OK, you talked me into it. :read2: I've got pics but no scanner and all these races were pre-digital camera. Please don't think I hate Harley's either as I tell this story, but what happened is as true as the day is long. As a professional motorcyle mechanic for over ten years I have worked on them all. Here's a list and I may have even forgotten a few:

Ducati
Moto Guzzi
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki
Triumph
BSA
Norton
Indian
Harley Davidson
Bimota
Ariel
KTM
Caviga
Bultaco

All motorcycles have their strengths and weaknesses. I chose to race on the bike that I thought had the most consistency and power per dollar. So don't flame me please. :toothy10:

Race #1 Dragbike USA Nationals, Great Lakes Dragway - Union Grove, WI
Well, you all caught me at a good time 'cause I'm drinking beer and cleaning my office, lol! I was even thinking of dragging out all my old racing pics and trophys and doing a little "decorating", so the memories have been flooding back.

It all started when my other buddy who I worked with was racing C class AMA. Even with him in his twenties, he was considered an "old man" and couldn't really compete with the 100 lb. kids in AMA A class. Anyway, he was coming in Monday with tales of the race and really got the bug started. He said "Joe man, you've got to get in this". I said "Bob, I'm almost 30 man. No way could I compete and I'd have to buy a dirt bike. I haven't dirt biked in ten years." He said "Yeah, but you have what, 16 years experience on street bikes? I've seen how you ride, even on the trips up to Road America and you beat guys on your KZ 650 on the on-ramps who have twice, the power and 10 times the money invested in their bikes. You're freakin' fearless draggin your knees on that thing. How about road racing?" "Nope, too much dough to get started, even in the most amatuer of classes" I said. Bob says "How about drag racing? I think they're having a race up in Union Grove?" The light turned on..... "Huh" I thought. "I think I just may be able to pull this off".

Well, I made a bunch of phone calls to the strip and found out the details, rules, etc. I had less than two weeks to prepare. Before I get I get into mods, let me first tell you that this bike was a Kawasaki '79 KZ650C four cylinder. Not my first choice as I had had a KZ1000 a few years before that would have been perfect but I had to sell it due to some legal troubles. :toothy10: I was living in a house with five other bikers who all rode and had just got of Stateville. It was like a half-way house for bikers transitioning out of prison. We'd all be partying and one of my buds would show up and "Joe, your bike's leaking man, you better go check it out". I'd run outside only to see a half filled take-out carton of rice under the bike, lol! :-D I only fell for that twice.

Anyway, first thing I did was pull the baffle out of the Kerker and make some neighborhood runs to get my jetting close. Next was to go to "Forks by Frank" and get some new tubes made 2" shorter. Then a set of K&N drag bars, some Barnett clutch frictions and sandblast the steels, drop one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket and go up one tooth on the rear sprocket. I went out to my favorite industrial area and made some test runs. It felt much quicker and launched great! OK, off the strip on test and tune night. :-D

I arrived the Friday night before the race (I drove the bike there) and made some test runs. I was only pulling some 13.1's and wasn't happy although the bike felt strong. The starter pointed at the rubber layed down on the strip and said "Line it up here bro!". Bam! 12.9's with reaction times in the double digits. "Very cool" I thought. I think I got a chance. On my way back to the pits, there bikes of all makes and most were trailered. Lot's Harleys too as this is Wisconsin. I had no trouble whatsoever, even though my "pit" consisted of just a set of saddle bags with some jets and basic tools, that is until some "Snakeskin Cowboys" decided to come up and give me **** for riding "Jap Crap".

I stood up and looked them up and down. No joke, they were all wearing snakeskin boots and dusters, wtf. I said "If you assholes want to kick my ***, you better get started or STFU". I was tired as I worked all day and rode two hours just get there and get some runs in. I was done fkn around. You all have to understand that I didn't care wether I lived or died in that time of my life. Nothing mattered but what I was doing "right now". They just walked away saying "That junk wont make it past the first round tomorrow". Assholes. Before I left to ride home I walked through the pits to eye the competition. There they were with a beautiful trailered Harley. That bike was nice looking, mostly black with a ghost flame job. These peckerheads had money but they were not the real deal. I'll bet between all five them they probably had maybe a thousand miles under their butt. Fk em. I rode home.

Race day! I had got home about midnight from test and tune and was up at 7. Time to get. Some friends were going to meet me up there so threw the saddle bags over, tied them down and boogied. I got there at about 9 something, registered and paid my ten bucks and went through tech. Found my buddies and told them about the fkhds I had to deal with the night before and they said "Don't worry about it, worry about your racing".

I figured I had time for about 2-3 test runs before the race started so I though it would be smart to get my *** in gear and get rolling. My first run I had a great leave but the bike was missing on the top end. Dam! I got back to the pits and went up 2 jet sizes. Same thing next run. What the? Then I realized that the following night was heavy with fog plus the bike was way hot from the trip up. I went up another 2 sizes and it bogged on top again but not so bad. Well crap! I didn't have time for another test run so I went up another 2 sizes and thought "Well, do or die".

I pulled up, did my burn out and noticed the jack *** in the left lane giving me the finger. "****, I don't even know this prick" I thought. Oh well, screw him, I did two dry hops and staged fast! This gave me the advantage and threw him right off. I'm sure he was hoping for some kind of "stage off" but I didn't play his game. When I full stage I see nothing but the tree and the finish line. I become totally, 100% focused. Someone could throw a full beer can at me and I wouldn't even know even if it hit my helmet.

I bring the revs up to 4500 and FOCUS!!! Full tree, the yellow lights come tumbling down and I'm gone. I hit the booth on the return road and Damn! I won! LOL! He broke out to make up for his shitty reaction time!

This continued about 4 more times when I saw the snakeskin losers in the staging lane. "Oh man, oh man, please line up with me!" I counted the bikes and yep, we were going have at it. Again, here's these fkrs jeering altough I really couldn't hear what they were saying. "No matter, I'm going to smoke 'em" I thought. I do my burnout at the same time they do theirs, something doesn't sound right with their bike but I just do a nice wheely standing dry hop and pre-stage. They follow and I stage. I hear his bike literally screaming at the line, drowning out mine. The yellows fall and WHACK!! I saw a flash in the left corner of my eye and I'm gone.

I have the win and as I'm coming back down the return road my buddies all coming running up. They follow into the pits and say "Joe! He blew up! There's oil and hardware store bolts everywhere!" "No ****?" I said. "Yeah buddy! You won! You won!" :cheers::cheers::cheers:

We all walked over there and there they were, the punk *** snakeskin cowboys pushing their junk in the trunk, lol! My friends were merciless, lol. Let's just say they left really quick. :toothy10: That was my first organized drag race and my first win. Dragbike USA Class Champion!! I strapped that trophy to my forks "Marlon Brando Style" rode from WI back to Chi-Town and pulled into the bar. I was so wasted I pushed the bike back two blocks home from Mike's Tavern, lol.

Well, I've got more where this came from as well as some car street racing stories. Let me know if y'all enjoyed it. :)

I knew the plot would thicken...........:snakeman:That's what this dawg was talkin about!!! Yea!!!
Lol! OK, you talked me into it. :read2: I've got pics but no scanner and all these races were pre-digital camera. Please don't think I hate Harley's either as I tell this story, but what happened is as true as the day is long. As a professional motorcyle mechanic for over ten years I have worked on them all. Here's a list and I may have even forgotten a few:

Ducati
Moto Guzzi
Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki
Triumph
BSA
Norton
Indian
Harley Davidson
Bimota
Ariel
KTM
Caviga
Bultaco

All motorcycles have their strengths and weaknesses. I chose to race on the bike that I thought had the most consistency and power per dollar. So don't flame me please. :toothy10:

Race #1 Dragbike USA Nationals, Great Lakes Dragway - Union Grove, WI
Well, you all caught me at a good time 'cause I'm drinking beer and cleaning my office, lol! I was even thinking of dragging out all my old racing pics and trophys and doing a little "decorating", so the memories have been flooding back.

It all started when my other buddy who I worked with was racing C class AMA. Even with him in his twenties, he was considered an "old man" and couldn't really compete with the 100 lb. kids in AMA A class. Anyway, he was coming in Monday with tales of the race and really got the bug started. He said "Joe man, you've got to get in this". I said "Bob, I'm almost 30 man. No way could I compete and I'd have to buy a dirt bike. I haven't dirt biked in ten years." He said "Yeah, but you have what, 16 years experience on street bikes? I've seen how you ride, even on the trips up to Road America and you beat guys on your KZ 650 on the on-ramps who have twice, the power and 10 times the money invested in their bikes. You're freakin' fearless draggin your knees on that thing. How about road racing?" "Nope, too much dough to get started, even in the most amatuer of classes" I said. Bob says "How about drag racing? I think they're having a race up in Union Grove?" The light turned on..... "Huh" I thought. "I think I just may be able to pull this off".

Well, I made a bunch of phone calls to the strip and found out the details, rules, etc. I had less than two weeks to prepare. Before I get I get into mods, let me first tell you that this bike was a Kawasaki '79 KZ650C four cylinder. Not my first choice as I had had a KZ1000 a few years before that would have been perfect but I had to sell it due to some legal troubles. :toothy10: I was living in a house with five other bikers who all rode and had just got of Stateville. It was like a half-way house for bikers transitioning out of prison. We'd all be partying and one of my buds would show up and "Joe, your bike's leaking man, you better go check it out". I'd run outside only to see a half filled take-out carton of rice under the bike, lol! :-D I only fell for that twice.

Anyway, first thing I did was pull the baffle out of the Kerker and make some neighborhood runs to get my jetting close. Next was to go to "Forks by Frank" and get some new tubes made 2" shorter. Then a set of K&N drag bars, some Barnett clutch frictions and sandblast the steels, drop one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket and go up one tooth on the rear sprocket. I went out to my favorite industrial area and made some test runs. It felt much quicker and launched great! OK, off the strip on test and tune night. :-D

I arrived the Friday night before the race (I drove the bike there) and made some test runs. I was only pulling some 13.1's and wasn't happy although the bike felt strong. The starter pointed at the rubber layed down on the strip and said "Line it up here bro!". Bam! 12.9's with reaction times in the double digits. "Very cool" I thought. I think I got a chance. On my way back to the pits, there bikes of all makes and most were trailered. Lot's Harleys too as this is Wisconsin. I had no trouble whatsoever, even though my "pit" consisted of just a set of saddle bags with some jets and basic tools, that is until some "Snakeskin Cowboys" decided to come up and give me **** for riding "Jap Crap".

I stood up and looked them up and down. No joke, they were all wearing snakeskin boots and dusters, wtf. I said "If you assholes want to kick my ***, you better get started or STFU". I was tired as I worked all day and rode two hours just get there and get some runs in. I was done fkn around. You all have to understand that I didn't care wether I lived or died in that time of my life. Nothing mattered but what I was doing "right now". They just walked away saying "That junk wont make it past the first round tomorrow". Assholes. Before I left to ride home I walked through the pits to eye the competition. There they were with a beautiful trailered Harley. That bike was nice looking, mostly black with a ghost flame job. These peckerheads had money but they were not the real deal. I'll bet between all five them they probably had maybe a thousand miles under their butt. Fk em. I rode home.

Race day! I had got home about midnight from test and tune and was up at 7. Time to get. Some friends were going to meet me up there so threw the saddle bags over, tied them down and boogied. I got there at about 9 something, registered and paid my ten bucks and went through tech. Found my buddies and told them about the fkhds I had to deal with the night before and they said "Don't worry about it, worry about your racing".

I figured I had time for about 2-3 test runs before the race started so I though it would be smart to get my *** in gear and get rolling. My first run I had a great leave but the bike was missing on the top end. Dam! I got back to the pits and went up 2 jet sizes. Same thing next run. What the? Then I realized that the following night was heavy with fog plus the bike was way hot from the trip up. I went up another 2 sizes and it bogged on top again but not so bad. Well crap! I didn't have time for another test run so I went up another 2 sizes and thought "Well, do or die".

I pulled up, did my burn out and noticed the jack *** in the left lane giving me the finger. "****, I don't even know this prick" I thought. Oh well, screw him, I did two dry hops and staged fast! This gave me the advantage and threw him right off. I'm sure he was hoping for some kind of "stage off" but I didn't play his game. When I full stage I see nothing but the tree and the finish line. I become totally, 100% focused. Someone could throw a full beer can at me and I wouldn't even know even if it hit my helmet.

I bring the revs up to 4500 and FOCUS!!! Full tree, the yellow lights come tumbling down and I'm gone. I hit the booth on the return road and Damn! I won! LOL! He broke out to make up for his shitty reaction time!

This continued about 4 more times when I saw the snakeskin losers in the staging lane. "Oh man, oh man, please line up with me!" I counted the bikes and yep, we were going have at it. Again, here's these fkrs jeering altough I really couldn't hear what they were saying. "No matter, I'm going to smoke 'em" I thought. I do my burnout at the same time they do theirs, something doesn't sound right with their bike but I just do a nice wheely standing dry hop and pre-stage. They follow and I stage. I hear his bike literally screaming at the line, drowning out mine. The yellows fall and WHACK!! I saw a flash in the left corner of my eye and I'm gone.

I have the win and as I'm coming back down the return road my buddies all coming running up. They follow into the pits and say "Joe! He blew up! There's oil and hardware store bolts everywhere!" "No ****?" I said. "Yeah buddy! You won! You won!" :cheers::cheers::cheers:

We all walked over there and there they were, the punk *** snakeskin cowboys pushing their junk in the trunk, lol! My friends were merciless, lol. Let's just say they left really quick. :toothy10: That was my first organized drag race and my first win. Dragbike USA Class Champion!! I strapped that trophy to my forks "Marlon Brando Style" rode from WI back to Chi-Town and pulled into the bar. I was so wasted I pushed the bike back two blocks home from Mike's Tavern, lol.

Well, I've got more where this came from as well as some car street racing stories. Let me know if y'all enjoyed it. :)

I knew the plot would thicken...........:snakeman:That's what this dawg was talkin about!!! Yea!!!

Glad you dug it waggin! Life was good and bad back then but I didn't worry about a thing. I lived in the moment. :snakeman: Everything is just so damn complicated now. :angry7:

This is my hero, Rollie Free, breaking the worlds speed record @ 150.313 mph in 1948 on a Vincent Black Lightning. This guy had balls.

rollie_free01.jpg

Thanks for sharing Ramcharger.
Couldn´t have got a better start in a racing "career".
Great reading.

Thanks for sharing Ramcharger.
Couldn´t have got a better start in a racing "career".
Great reading.

Thank you Swede! It's really nothing at all, just a local guy having some fun. I pestered the owner non-stop until he gave me a chance!

ramcharger: Good story. Brings back a ton of my own drag racing memories. Union Grove, one of, if not the oldest drag strip in the country. Great place to race. All the "big names" in drag racing ran there. And us too. lol

Well heres a good pic of pat and my mom sharing old super stock racin stories out in my shop while we were playin with the "waggin" mom had a 64 belvedere factory super stock car that dad bought her,story later for now here's the "dawg" and Mom!you should here a ladies perspective on owning and driving a factory super stocker,she's got a couple of racin stories too Lol enjoy the pic' I will try to find and scan some of the pic's of the car if she still has them and hopefully a pic of mom in her day...I still remember her bob banning dodge t shirt she used to wear,had the green dodge challenger racecar on it

dawg.JPG

Did enjoy that story, Ramcharger? Does a wild bear poop in the woods? Hell yes I enjoyed it! I want to hear more for sure...car, bike....whatever you have. More please!
PAt

-
Back