Disappointed with my engine

-
They were very good books. What he has posted only scratches the surface. Mopar really knew how to support racers back in the day.
yes they did . now u have to kind of hunt but if u follow the bilds in the catalogs from the old days it will run
now the part #'s have changed but the imformation is still good . it is too bad u can shair emails ,or fb id, mewe, or telgram i have a lot of stuff . too much to send here

small block 1.jpg

small block 2.jpg

yes they did . now u have to kind of hunt but if u follow the bilds in the catalogs from the old days it will run
now the part #'s have changed but the imformation is still good . it is too bad u can shair emails ,or fb id, mewe, or telgram i have a lot of stuff . too much to send here

View attachment 1715799964

View attachment 1715799965
I really wish that the engine book and the chassis book were available as a pdf file. I have those books but they are falling apart.
I agree the info is still largely valid today. The info will still guide through what you need for a certain performance level. I followed those books for years.

I built a BB bracket car, 71 Dart in the 80's using the MP Chassis book as my bible. Was a consistent 6.30 car that worked perfect.

I really wish that the engine book and the chassis book were available as a pdf file. I have those books but they are falling apart.
I agree the info is still largely valid today. The info will still guide through what you need for a certain performance level. I followed those books for years.
They are like a recipe book. You picked a speed you could afford and simply follow the recipe!

They are like a recipe book. You picked a speed you could afford and simply follow the recipe!
Yes, and all those recipes, though dated, still WORK, yet people just ignore them and wonder why their junk is slow.

Yes, and all those recipes, though dated, still WORK, yet people just ignore them and wonder why their junk is slow.
Absolutely! In this day and age of bracket racing, it is more important to build a sold consistent car, than it is to try and build the worlds fastest___________( fill in the blank). You can take the MP 9th edition chassis book and do just that. I ran that 71 Dart 4 seasons before selling it to build the 67 Super Gas car in my Avatar.

Absolutely! In this day and age of bracket racing, it is more important to build a sold consistent car, than it is to try and build the worlds fastest___________( fill in the blank). You can take the MP 9th edition chassis book and do just that. I ran that 71 Dart 4 seasons before selling it to build the 67 Super Gas car in my Avatar.
I've been mulling over picking out a recipe from the engine book and building one. Step by step part by part. I'd have to have a custom cam ground since they aren't available anymore....

I've been mulling over picking out a recipe from the engine book and building one. Step by step part by part. I'd have to have a custom cam ground since they aren't available anymore....
As was said, the part numbers are long gone but the recipe just needs valid substitutions.

As was said, the part numbers are long gone but the recipe just needs valid substitutions.
That's right! I believe Jim at Racer Brown can purt near duplicate the MP grinds.

THEY I WOULDN'T KNOW . TE REASO I LIKED THE MP CAMS IS U DONT NEED TO DEGREE THEM IN I SET MINE TO STOCK TIMING + 2 DEGREES & it allways performed right
I degree every single cam I install now. I wouldn't have it any other way. Most times, it's not the cam you have to worry about, but the timing chain set.

I degree every single cam I install now. I wouldn't have it any other way. Most times, it's not the cam you have to worry about, but the timing chain set.
ok well i used a high quality double timing set i never had a issue but then maybe i have allway sbeen lucky . now thats what my cousin did too he has 40+ yrs in a dealership but to eash their own

ok well i used a high quality double timing set i never had a issue but then maybe i have allway sbeen lucky . now thats what my cousin did too he has 40+ yrs in a dealership but to eash their own
I like having the camshaft in where "I" think it needs to be and that's not "necessarily" where the cam card says. I'm just that kinda guy. lol

I like having the camshaft in where "I" think it needs to be and that's not "necessarily" where the cam card says. I'm just that kinda guy. lol
ok well maybe thats y its not running right im not there so i dont know . i do know many guys put awide cam in it souns bad but dont run right , i dont know do as u like

ok well maybe thats y its not running right im not there so i dont know . i do know many guys put awide cam in it souns bad but dont run right , i dont know do as u like
I do what runs best!

I have always install MP cams advanced. Most of the time 4 degrees. Is it to much trouble to type the correct spelling of words? Or form a proper sentence?
I just like puttin the wheel on um. I was up all night building a slant 6 for a member here. It's a mild truck engine with a custom Oregon cam, but it got a high fallutin JP/Rollmaster timing set and it got degreed in. Static compression came out at 8.9:1 so it oughtta be snappy in that truck.
DSCF1641.JPG

Mistakes happen in manufacturing. You never want to be the guy that has to start a post very similar to this. Except all the components are well matched and the motor disappoints. Sooner or later someone will ask “where is the cam set?” and you won’t really know. A wheel and a cheap dial indicator, $60? Degree every cam you install.

Mistakes happen in manufacturing. You never want to be the guy that has to start a post very similar to this. Except all the components are well matched and the motor disappoints. Sooner or later someone will ask “where is the cam set?” and you won’t really know. A wheel and a cheap dial indicator, $60? Degree every cam you install.
sounds ok to me . how fast do u want to go?

-
Back