Disappointed with my Fender Tag & Broadcast sheet of my car

-

scastillo

Reaction score
I am Mopar lover here in Puerto Rico, since 1992 My father and I began to buy mopar cars, and in 1999 we sold all my cars and after approximately 11 years we begins again to search mopars and buy it again, recently I bought a 1972 Dodge Demon 340 from a Old Mopar collector, the car is in the process of restoration, The previous owner give to me some documents when the original owner bought the car and one broadcast sheet. When I receive the Broadcast on my hands rapidly I thought to decode it and a friend recommends to me GTS services. I was desperately to know the options that the cars brings form factory and I called GTS and a lady respond that they offer a rush services and mention that she can receive by email a color copy of my broadcast, picture of my fender tag and vin tag, and Galen will decode my fender tag, broadcast sheet and registry my car with a letter by $209.00. I send it the last week with all my information of my credit card. Yesterday a received an email form Galen, that convert me very disappointed, he mention in his letter that the fender tag and the broadcast sheet, in his opinion, is inaccurate and the registry and decoding fee is non-refundable. I write back to know the situation or what was the error with the documents that I sent. He responds to me that “The broadcast sheet and the fender tag are both forgeries.
Nothing I can do to fix the problem. Car probably is a 1972 Demon 340, but everything else is suspect.” Wow, as soon I receive this message I called the person who sell to me the car, and he mention that some years ago a guy form a A.G Basket reproduce the fender tag because the original tag was very rusty, but all same codes are in the new one. I look again my fender tag and is in mint condition and look original, I just compare it with another fender tag of my father dart and are the same related with the dimensions and type of font. Now I ask to my self why Galen said that is forgeries, so I don’t know he is the expert but I check my car and really is a match # car. Related with the broadcast, wow I talked about it with the seller and he said he found the paper beside the back seat and he glued it in over a paper because the original paper was so toasted and delicate and with this will maintain the paper in place. I saw last night a web page that have some free some codes to decode build sheets, and I saw that my broadcast have all codes that are normally in a Demon 340. The only difference are that was build for export, the heater was deleted, and this confirm the History of my car that told me the previous owner that the car was ordered by a military person in a dealer Chicago for export later to a Military Base in Puerto Rico on 1972. The car was build on 3-13-1972 and was export to PR on October 1972. So now I have many doubts about people that mention that can decode build sheet or broadcast sheet, I was very happy because I heard to much about Galen Services and his history and he knowledge in this matter, but now I am very disappointed, I am not a expert but against what he can mention that my fender tag and broadcast are false…so this brings to me many thoughts on my mind. I loose my money, I don’t have my decoding……did exist another GURU to decode Mopars? Any one heard about that the tags that reproduce A. G Basket have errors? If any one can advice me I will appreciate…

I am using a translator, so excuse any errors on the grammar.!

I am sorry to hear of what you are going through. As for Galen, I have my own thoughts and opinions re: his services. Unless there is something on his website re: no refunds at all, I would attempt to dispute it through your credit card company.

As for your fender tag and broadcast sheet, I would really like to see those.

Sam

Send me a picture of the tag and the broadcast sheet.

Contest the charges with the credit card company. That response sure is an easy way to take your money and not provide a service. I have friends that have been waiting 5+ years for info from that vendor.

i would like to know if it is even legal to reproduce the tags? although it matches the build sheet in this case, what if the build sheet aint there? do you just make one up? can ma reproduce a copy of the original broadcast sheet? the cloners would probably eat this up. with computer tech being what it is, i guess you could fake that too. if galen says it is a fake or a clone, he is probably correct. have you gotten the numbers off of the chassis?I DO NOT DOUBT that the car IS what it appears to be, and i wish you luck in your search. i'm also really glad that you are saving our cars in PR.i would love to see some pics. as would everyone else here. 72 demon, tropical island, awesome!!!!!

This is B.S. You should totally be able to get a refund. Or after reading a68postcar's post maybe all of the stuff is indeed fake. I dont know, in this day and age everything can be forged. I would go after the person you purchased the car from. It sounds like you got ripped off possibly. I dont see how you can sell a car like that, a 340 car, and sell it with fake documents. THAT IS LAME!!!!! I dont know what you paid for it but I'm sure it was plenty.

Galen was the authority for a long time, but as more people become knowlageable in this hobby, his star doesn't shine so brightly. He should do something for you. There are a few companies that specialize is making fender tags. I had a reproduction tag made for my '71 hemi cuda because it was rusted trought, but I kept the original one so I had proof of what the car was. I didn't add or subtract and numbers or codes, just had a new exact copy made. When tags were first reproduced alot of people bought them and changed little things, like the paint color code or something like that. Then it got to be more serious with codes for transmissions and other "more important" things changed. By that I mean, color or wheel opening moldings or the like wont really effect the value of your car, but if the tag says your 340 Demon came with, lets say, a four speed, A/C, performance hood paint and scoops...it will effect the value. Post a picture of your tag, we can decode it for you.

Hey Burntorange70, I think that guy is TOTALLY a con man. I think he is a piece of dog crap for doing this to this guy. I think that this person should do something about it. I just dont see how the dude can get away with taking his money and not giving him anything for it. What the hell???? I would take that F-er to court. That is complete B.S.

Any one heard about that the tags that reproduce A. G Basket have errors? If any one can advice me I will appreciate…[/SIZE][/FONT]

I am using a translator, so excuse any errors on the grammar.!

The company or perhaps individual you mention - "A.G. Basket" is actually A.G. Backeast out of Connecticut I believe and used to advertise in Hemmings reproducing fender tags. I don't subscribe to Hemmings any more so don't know if he still advertises or in business anymore. As I recall he required proof of ownership so it sounds like he was on the up and up. Also Hemmings was pretty tough on vendors who didn't come through on their products and I had never heard of anything bad about Backeast. There are plenty of guys on this web site who can and will decode your fender tag and/or broadcast sheet for you and charge absolutely NOTHING

Thanks for all opinions! I know that Galen was the authority for a long time on this matter, and my respect for him,I dont want to make a issue of that, only I want to share my feelings about it, if he mention to me that ,so..I dont know which is the real situation for his respond, maybe if I paid to him by hour or his fees he will can tell me, but I dont want to paid. Anyway, I check the radiator support area (Dirver side) and I found that there is stamped with the sames last 8 digits that have the vin tag and the fender tag, also I check the rear speaker area (Driver side) and have the sames last 8 digits, the block of the car is outside to refresh it and I saw in the driver side that have the sames digits stamped. Really is a real match car. I will take pictures of my car and I will post them later. The car was ordered in USA for export, dont have heater unit, is a 340 motor (External Balance) with a 727 trans. The car have buckets seats but dont have console, the shift is in the steering post. I check and his original color is gold, GY8, and black interiors with wood grain panels and dash. Have the sides stripes and the hood have pins and a scoop. The previous owner mention that the car brings stripes on the hood, but right now dont have it and a tuff wheel but was changed by a repro one ( The seller give to me the old tuff wheels that was damage by the sun). Have a 8 3/4 with a 3.91. (I found a tag attached in the pumkin that said 3.91) Have a oem am.fm radio with 2 speaker on back. Remote mirror, but are not the racing ones. Have power steering, non A/C. Have drip rail mouldings but dont bring wheel openings,have front disk brakes ( SBP) and 4 rally wheels. seems the basic items of a Demon.

There is a image of my fender tag. If any one can decode it I will apreciate. Some friend recomend to me to do not post the broadcast, but if some one want to view it I can send it to your email,

Thanks!

The company or perhaps individual you mention - "A.G. Basket" is actually A.G. Backeast out of Connecticut I believe and used to advertise in Hemmings reproducing fender tags. I don't subscribe to Hemmings any more so don't know if he still advertises or in business anymore. As I recall he required proof of ownership so it sounds like he was on the up and up. Also Hemmings was pretty tough on vendors who didn't come through on their products and I had never heard of anything bad about Backeast. There are plenty of guys on this web site who can and will decode your fender tag and/or broadcast sheet for you and charge absolutely NOTHING

Hey, thanks so much about it, I talked again with person that sold to me the Demon and he remember that he send to A.G Backeast a several pictures of the car, somes rubbings of the vin tag, fender tag, and a copy of the broadcast, the registration and others documents for place the order of the copy of the rusty tag. I found his website and he mention that only reproduce tags for original cars.

Why would he be entitled to a refund? Galen (Who I don't care for) did his job.

He took the info provided and gave his opinion.

Something with the info convinced him that the car had shady documentation. He was paid to verify the info.... You not agreeing does not mean you get a refund. The service was provided.

No reason to decode the tag or any other info if it, in his opinion, was fake.

Many points of view here.... His (Galen) point being...

Its not right and thats all you need to know... That is a very valid position. If he (Galen) were to tell you what is wrong or what it "Should" be he runs the risk of becoming a resource for bogus car builders.

This is B.S. You should totally be able to get a refund. Or after reading a68postcar's post maybe all of the stuff is indeed fake. I dont know, in this day and age everything can be forged. I would go after the person you purchased the car from. It sounds like you got ripped off possibly. I dont see how you can sell a car like that, a 340 car, and sell it with fake documents. THAT IS LAME!!!!! I dont know what you paid for it but I'm sure it was plenty.

I just called to my credit card services, I explain my situation that I was placed the order by email, but I saw later on his letter and the web page about if the person ( Who offer the service) refuse or decline the order based in his opinion, because the information provided is inacurrate the registry and decoding fee are non-refundable, so the charge is not completed yet, I dont know in legal terms if this is legal or I will receive a refund, any way I dont want make big issue. I think, based on many people opinions that Galen is a good person, I talk with the previous owner of my car and he said that the broadcast sheet the he gave to me is original. that is not a fake, so he was the second owner, exist the posiblity of the doupt about the first owner, but I am not an expert or guru to know is the build sheet is a reproduction, I dont know if exist a company who can reproduce it, seems a original broadcast. I will continue to know more about it.

Something was found to be wrong with your documentation.

Show us your info you provided Galen and the members here can figure it out.

What's the Vin...

Scan a copy of the broadcast sheet and post it.

You already posted your fender tag.

Why would he be entitled to a refund? Galen (Who I don't care for) did his job.

He took the info provided and gave his opinion.

Something with the info convinced him that the car had shady documentation. He was paid to verify the info.... You not agreeing does not mean you get a refund. The service was provided.

No reason to decode the tag or any other info if it, in his opinion, was fake.

Many points of view here.... His (Galen) point being...

Its not right and thats all you need to know... That is a very valid position. If he (Galen) were to tell you what is wrong or what it "Should" be he runs the risk of becoming a resource for bogus car builders.

Sincerely I agree with you, He did his job, I will respect his opinion so, at the end so I paid $134.00 to know his opinion, It was a risk, any way I will keep looking who can decode my broadcast sheet.

I I talk with the previous owner of my car and he said that the broadcast sheet the he gave to me is original. that is not a fake, so he was the second owner, exist the posiblity of the doupt about the first owner, but I am not an expert or guru to know is the build sheet is a reproduction, I dont know if exist a company who can reproduce it, seems a original broadcast. I will continue to know more about it.

I know of no company that will or is willing to reproduce a broadcast sheet. Would seem to me that if they were to be reproduced it could sure open a can of worms about codes added/deleted/changed to make a vehicle more valuable.

This is what I came up with using your fender tag.

LM29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Medium
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H28: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Export

: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
GY8: Gold Poly Exterior Color
F6X9: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
313: Build Date: March 13
E34434: Order number

GY8: Gold Poly Top Color
I: International (export) Specifications
A88: Interior Decor Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
C56: Bucket Seats
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror

J45: Hood Tie Down Pins
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M43: Grille Trim Moldings
N23: Electronic Ignition System
N41: Dual Exhaust

N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
V21: Performance Hood Treatment
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black

EN1: End of Sales Codes

Post a clear, readable photo of your broadcast sheet.

Hi, ok this is the broadcast sheet that the seller gave to me, I scan it with HP scanner, Is a old document but you can see many codes. I put some paint in the last 8 numbers of the vin tag because some people don’t recommend to show this in a public forums but the one that I sent to Galen is complete, but if you want it I will send you a email with the complete numbers. I resize this picture to be uploaded, the original scan have more that 800 x 1000, if you want I can send it by email in pdf format. Seem very clear, but if you resize it larger you can see like a shadow of some numbers on some boxes. I tried to do the best. Sorry
Cordially
Sammy

This is what I came up with using your fender tag.

LM29:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Medium
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H28: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Export

: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
GY8: Gold Poly Exterior Color
F6X9: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
313: Build Date: March 13
E34434: Order number

GY8: Gold Poly Top Color
I: International (export) Specifications
A88: Interior Decor Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
C56: Bucket Seats
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror

J45: Hood Tie Down Pins
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M43: Grille Trim Moldings
N23: Electronic Ignition System
N41: Dual Exhaust

N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
V21: Performance Hood Treatment
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black

EN1: End of Sales Codes

Thanks so much by this information, just wondering by your experience, my car have a 727 transmission, for the year 1972 was a light Duty, is a good transmission?

i cleaned the photo up a little but it is still hard to read. the only thing that i cannot see to well is the first 4 digets of the vin. it looks like it says ln or lh 29....the only thing else i can say is what does the vin plate in the dash look like? if it has been tampered with and has different riviots holding it in place then that would have killed it right there.......

i cleaned the photo up a little but it is still hard to read. the only thing that i cannot see to well is the first 4 digets of the vin. it looks like it says ln or lh 29....the only thing else i can say is what does the vin plate in the dash look like? if it has been tampered with and has different riviots holding it in place then that would have killed it right there.......

Tomorrow, I will scan again the first area, the broadcast said LM29H2B#$((%!....., I will make a pencil rubbing of my dash. The rivets all corrects, I will try to take another picutre becuase the pic that I have is not clear, have some reflects form the windshield and I dont want to keep out it. I will try. Today I check with the Dept. of Transportation of PR and all my documents are clear, the registration of the car was on octuber 1972, they have the sames numbers of the vin tag and dont have any issue, Also the door have a sticker that have the sames numbers, but appear very clear by the age. Thanks by your help.

I would look at the radiator support vin and the one on the dash and if there is one on the driver side door jam and make sure they all match up to each other and the fender tag and broad cast sheet.

-
Back