Disc brake conversion

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Does anybody know it there is a disc brake conversion kit that doesn't require an upper control arm change? Really just wanting to get rid of this 4 inch bolt pattern and don't want to use adapters. Thanks in advance...

Dr diff uses the tapered adaptors to run later lbp spindles on small upper control arms
if you really don't want to use that then I believe wilwood makes a disk brake kit that attaches to sbp 9 inch drum spindles

Last edited:
I used the Dr Diff taper sleeves on one of my projects.Unless you plan on Auto Cross they work just fine. Hell even if you did Auto Cross . At one time(as stated above) WillWood did have kits for both the 9'' and 10'' spindles.Maybe they still do.Don't know if SSBC is still in business as they had kits for the 10'' spindle. Another is Scarebird but I don't know about them.

I used:

A153 Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Mopar Non Power

on my '71 Dart GT. They offer 5 on 4" or 5" on 4 1/2" bolt pattern options. I stuck with the small bolt pattern front and (factory installed 8 3/4") rear.

FYI the factory 14" X 5 1/2" Rallye wheels fit just fine. However, the factory 14" X 5 1/2" Steel wheels DID NOT fit on my car.

1-Hagerty (show off)-5.jpg

In the picture, the rear wheels are 15" X 7" WheelVintiques Rallyes.

I used:

A153 Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Mopar Non Power

on my '71 Dart GT. They offer 5 on 4" or 5" on 4 1/2" bolt pattern options. I stuck with the small bolt pattern front and (factory installed 8 3/4") rear.

FYI the factory 14" X 5 1/2" Rallye wheels fit just fine. However, the factory 14" X 5 1/2" Steel wheels DID NOT fit on my car.

View attachment 1715975101

In the picture, the rear wheels are 15" X 7" WheelVintiques Rallyes.

That is the same kit that I run on mine, it works well. I had replaced the bearings and seals last year when I had the rotors turned, I believe those parts crossed over to part numbers from a late 60's Mustang. The pads are D11, which are Dodge Dart or Mustang pads and readily available.

Thanks for the ideas, fellas. And those all work without changing the upper arms??

Dan, REALLY Pretty car! I am custom ordering 15" Wheel Vintique Rallye's for the rear so am more than likely using the same up front. (15's also) Are your rears chrome or coated? They look coated. If so, any issues finding trim rings?

Wow, Wait? those will bolt RIGHT ON my drum brake spindles???

And those all work without changing the upper arms??
Better not say "All" The kits that come with new spindles would be the larger taper upper ball joint.
You may still need the Dr.Diff adapters.
I have been out of the game for over 10 years now.I's nice to see SSBC is still in business. I have used their 4 wheel disc kits on B and E bodies before.And yes the brake calipers and pads are the same as 67 Mustang. Their rear disc brake kits use 1993 Thunderbird calipers and pads. Now that is for the iron calipers. I don't know about their fancy aluminum kits.

Both the wilwood kit as well as the SSBC kit uses the existing drum brake spindle. So this does make it nice as you can avoid having to redo your alignment but it may still be better to double check it once done. We can offer you either brands kits if you're interested I would just need to know if you're looking for power or manual or if you have a part number exactly that would help. The only thing you need to be very mindful of is the hub hole size as we have had customers that have had issues with their rims not fitting the hub on these conversions. Also as a member of the forum you'd be eligible for it the forum discount.

James From
PST

I’m using the SSBC conversion kit as well, anybody find the brass washers sent with don’t seal on the banjo brake lines? Mine are leaking on both sides. Any suggestions please

I still recommend changing everything over if you're going to do that, so you don't have to keep a parts list of what came from where. For example, on my '72, anything up front is '74 Dart/Valiant. Simple. It all fits and I don't run into issues with this part not working with that part.

It's not hard to change a control arm (and a good time to add some extra caster). What's your motivation to keep it?

I still recommend changing everything over if you're going to do that, so you don't have to keep a parts list of what came from where. For example, on my '72, anything up front is '74 Dart/Valiant. Simple. It all fits and I don't run into issues with this part not working with that part.

It's not hard to change a control arm (and a good time to add some extra caster). What's your motivation to keep it?

Main reason to keep it is for ease of converting back to original (not that I'd want to but I'm spending buku dollars now for stuff that I never thought I'd want back) and cost as the uppers seem quite pricey, even IF you can find factory ones. Also the ease and less parts needed at this time. I've got a LOT to do.

Main reason to keep it is for ease of converting back to original (not that I'd want to but I'm spending buku dollars now for stuff that I never thought I'd want back) and cost as the uppers seem quite pricey, even IF you can find factory ones. Also the ease and less parts needed at this time. I've got a LOT to do.

That makes perfect sense.

ETA: none of my stuff is very valuable so I never had that problem lol

Thanks for the ideas, fellas. And those all work without changing the upper arms??

Dan, REALLY Pretty car! I am custom ordering 15" Wheel Vintique Rallye's for the rear so am more than likely using the same up front. (15's also) Are your rears chrome or coated? They look coated. If so, any issues finding trim rings?

Wow, Wait? those will bolt RIGHT ON my drum brake spindles???

These WheelVintiques Rallye wheels (dated 2006) were powdercoated, by WheelVintiques, a really ugly gray:

IMG_5116 (DLH-P).jpg

So, I sanded them down and used the following products:

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

I think they came out great

IMG_5384.jpg

The trim rings came with the wheels (I bought them from FABO member 72Dart6pack).

Be aware the front wheels get pushed outboard ~3/8" (if I remember correctly) with the SSBC front disc brakes.

-
Back