Disc brake small bolt pattern. Going to front big bolt pattern

-

rdwsp

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dodge Dart slant 6 car that has Factory disc brakes small bolt pattern. In the front. What parts do I need to change to go to big bolt pattern disc brakes on the front? I really appreciate everybody's help also Going to small block V8. We have 16 degrees here in northern Michigan Traverse City Doing a lot of inside work. This Thursday. February 13th 2020

Just grab everything off a 73up V8 bbp Abody car, including the control arms.
I think the BFMJ cars all carry the same rotors and calipers.
As far as swaps go this one is pretty easy.
In ~76, the A-bodies went to the FMJ-body front suspension; but AFAIK the brakes are still the same.

BTW, the KH 4-piston brakes which should be on your car,are great street-rod brakes; I wouldn't be in any hurry to ditch them.
I think it is possible to get replacement rotors for them with the bbp, I mean that's what I have heard.

Last edited:
Kelsey Hayes Reman 4 piston calipers are still available at Rock Auto.

Check there for the new rotors too.

Along with the 15/16" bore master brake cylinders for easier pedal pressure and better brake control. Think that manual master is listed under 73 Dart manual discs.

20200107_101018.jpg

20200107_100434.jpg

Just grab everything off a 73up V8 bbp Abody car, including the control arms.
I think the BFMJ cars all carry the same rotors and calipers.
As far as swaps go this one is pretty easy.
In ~76, the A-bodies went to the FMJ-body front suspension; but AFAIK the brakes are still the same.

BTW, the KH 4-piston brakes which should be on your car,are great street-rod brakes; I wouldn't be in any hurry to ditch them.
I think it is possible to get replacement rotors for them with the bbp, I mean that's what I have heard.
Thanks for information I'm not going to get rid of my Kelsey Hayes 4-piston calipers going to be patient

Kelsey Hayes Reman 4 piston calipers are still available at Rock Auto.

Check there for the new rotors too.

Along with the 15/16" bore master brake cylinders for easier pedal pressure and better brake control. Think that manual master is listed under 73 Dart manual discs.

Not necessarily so, anymore, these days, in the way of calipers, at Rock Auto.
They are pretty much "out of stock" all the time when you look, or only one side is ever available.
Those things are getting more difficult to find, all the time.
Look in the for sale section.
They are pretty much "out of stock" all the time when you look, or only one side is ever available.

Sorry to hear that, got these 4 years ago at Rock Auto, no cores required either. Guess we got lucky getting them when we did, loaded calipers at that . . .

20200107_101018.jpg

Thanks for information I'm not going to get rid of my Kelsey Hayes 4-piston calipers going to be patient

There is one of the members on here that professionally rebuilds them. Run a Rebuild Parts Wanted ad in the Parts Wanted forum on this site to see if you can locate that guy. I read through his ad a while back, looks like he does a real thoughal job.

Can send you a note if I find him again.

Just checked Rock Auto for the Kelsey Hayes Calipers for your 72 Dart slant 6 car.

There is a Cardone #184407 Reman set, non-loaded.

In stock, have to change the quantity box from 1 to 2 then go to check out.

The loaded calipers are out of stock though.

20200226_190328.jpg

There is one of the members on here that professionally rebuilds them. Run a Rebuild Parts Wanted ad in the Parts Wanted forum on this site to see if you can locate that guy. I read through his ad a while back, looks like he does a real thoughal job.

Can send you a note if I find him again.
That would be me.
But i didn't enclose a 'link" to my parts, as the op states that he already has Kelsey Hayes 4 piston, disc brake calipers. and is thinking about going to big bolt pattern, so i didn't really need to peddle my parts in a reply.

But, i just changed my mind.
Here's the link.
[FOR SALE] - **REBUILT** Kelsey Hayes 4 Piston Disc Brake Calipers. 65-72 A Body Cars.

Last edited:
Just checked Rock Auto for the Kelsey Hayes Calipers for your 72 Dart slant 6 car.

There is a Cardone #184407 Reman set, non-loaded.

In stock, have to change the quantity box from 1 to 2 then go to check out.

The loaded calipers are out of stock though.

View attachment 1715477559
I also checked, as you got me curious with your reply.
ONLY one side of calipers is available at this time, from Rock Auto.
You just can't order 2, as there is a RIGHT and a LEFT side caliper.
That ad is rather deceptive for a description, be advised of that.

I also checked, as you got me curious with your reply.
ONLY one side of calipers is available at this time, from Rock Auto.
You just can't order 2, as there is a RIGHT and a LEFT side caliper.
That ad is rather deceptive for a description, be advised of that.

You are right there "Hemi", they are left and right.

The #184407 Right side is in stock
The #184406 Left side is out of stock

Yeah these are becoming more and more valuable for the people that have them.

Check out "The Ram man" . He has new rotors that are big bolt pattern and they are for kelsey-hayes calipers.
Worked out well for me.

mhhh cherries

i picked my duster up just outside of traverse city about 5 years ago

Sorry to hear that, got these 4 years ago at Rock Auto, no cores required either. Guess we got lucky getting them when we did, loaded calipers at that . . .

View attachment 1715477536
Very nice picture of the calipers how do you insert a picture on this website

-
Back