Disc Conversion Question

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
This spring I'll be converting my front drums to disc. Question....if you were doing this would you include the power booster ?

Thanks

No.

My Challenger is a power disk brake car, my Duster is a manual disk car. Having driven both, I have to say I prefer the manual brakes. Much better feel to them. A little more effort, but I think the manual brakes have a much more positive feeling response to them. That and you don't have to worry about your cam being too big to run the booster. :D

I like the cleaner looks of manual brakes. I dont like that big huge vacuum pod. I also like how they feel.

I've done two conversions...using 73-76 disc brakes and have not used the power assist and I like them just fine without it. Both cars stopped great.

Followup question....I recently saw an NOS booster for sale on FABO. Is there anything in the booster that would suffer from dry rot in the past 43 years....gaskets...rubber...etc?

power vs manual ...depends on your part selection.
...big piston calipers and small piston master cylinder stop almost like power brakes.
...now go with small piston calipers and large piston master cylinder and stopping can be difficult.

power vs manual ...depends on your part selection.
...big piston calipers and small piston master cylinder stop almost like power brakes.
...now go with small piston calipers and large piston master cylinder and stopping can be difficult.

I've seen rebuilt KH discs for 14 inch wheels on FABO. Would I need to replace the master that I'm currently using with my drums if I don't go power?

..usually we like a larger reservoir for the discs because they consume more fluid as the pads wear...but we don't drive these cars a lot so you are o.k. there..just watch the brake fluid level.
some older drum brake master cylinders will have a 10lb. residual pressure valve which you would want to remove (just for the front discs ).
and if your master has a 1 inch or 15/16 inch piston you should be fine.

..usually we like a larger reservoir for the discs because they consume more fluid as the pads wear...but we don't drive these cars a lot so you are o.k. there..just watch the brake fluid level.
some older drum brake master cylinders will have a 10lb. residual pressure valve which you would want to remove (just for the front discs ).
and if your master has a 1 inch or 15/16 inch piston you should be fine.

Thanks!
Ideally what master would you run with manual discs?

..the stock early 4 piston Kelsey Hayes Discs used a 15/16" master cylinder.
increase the size 1/16" (to 1") and you'll increase the effort req'd by about 12%
so if you went to a 1 1/8" piston master cylinder for these discs it would require a lot of leg!

Power assist for brakes is similar to power steering, ease of operation.
So, Only meant for those weaker operators ? Yes, in a sense.
Some of the young bucks in this forum might chime in with comments like "girlie man".
I acept the fact that I'm not half the man I used to be so I dont let those type of comments bother me.
Bottom line... If you plan to keep the car for a life time and/or expect a weaker operator behind the wheel, consider this in your decision.

Power assist for brakes is similar to power steering, ease of operation.
So, Only meant for those weaker operators ? Yes, in a sense.
Some of the young bucks in this forum might chime in with comments like "girlie man".
I acept the fact that I'm not half the man I used to be so I dont let those type of comments bother me.
Bottom line... If you plan to keep the car for a life time and/or expect a weaker operator behind the wheel, consider this in your decision.

Sadly Redfish that thought has already crossed my mind. My guess is that when all is said and done, they will be power brakes.

-
Back