Disconnected wires; turn signal issues

-

zackw

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need help with a couple of wiring issues. Firstly my turn signals work, but only partially. I replaced the flasher between the glovebox and the radio, so the turn signals on the grille and bumper work, but not the side markers. The dash indicator for the left turn signal also does not work, but I figured that is probably the bulb. Oddly, pushing the hazard light switch in does nothing, but if it's in and I flip the turn signal switch either up or down, both come on at once (but still not the side markers)...

Secondly, there are a couple of disconnected sockets and one disconnect wire that I've found. This plug dangling near the fuse box looks just like the one for the flasher. Is this a separate relay for the side markers, should I put another flasher on there?

20190411_200229.jpg

These other plugs, I have no idea what they go to. There is also a loose wire (orange) coming out of an adjacent plug. Anybody know what these are for? Thanks.

20190411_200304.jpg

Last edited:
What year make and model?

Orange is usually lighting for dash ETC.

Would make sense, IIRC the dash lights don't work. And d'oh, it is a 1970 Dart Swinger.

Download your wiring diagram from mymopar.com and start tracing by wire color and location

Sorry I do not have 70 dart diagrams to share but you can pull some decent ones from Mymopar.net and or myMopar.com

Aha - it does appear that the plug with the pink wires (first picture) is for another flasher. Got the diagrams from mymopar.com, thanks for the tips. Still getting the hang of reading these diagrams.

20190411_211544.jpg

Consider reading a factory shop manual as well. THOSE DIAGRAMS are not as detailed as the factory ones, and leave out some connectors and options. You can download a factory manual from the same website. Some of the manuals over there came from the guys right here

Also if you are unaware, there are TWO flashers. One for turn signals, and one for 3 way hazard

EDIT: RE-read your post.........the SIDE MARKERS DO NOT BLINK. You say the "grille" works, you mean the park/ turn lamps? That would be normal

Consider reading a factory shop manual as well. THOSE DIAGRAMS are not as detailed as the factory ones, and leave out some connectors and options. You can download a factory manual from the same website. Some of the manuals over there came from the guys right here

Also if you are unaware, there are TWO flashers. One for turn signals, and one for 3 way hazard

EDIT: RE-read your post.........the SIDE MARKERS DO NOT BLINK. You say the "grille" works, you mean the park/ turn lamps? That would be normal

The side markers do not blink? Chalk that one down to me being a newb... good to know. I figured out there are two flashers from the diagram, looks like that's missing from one of the disconnected plugs. I think when I install that flasher, that will solve 1/2 my problems

Yes two flashers. One for hazards and one for turn signals.

New flasher is too big for the clip that held the original... temporary redneck solution to mount the new one in the clip. Don't want it knocking around under the dash

20190411_220144.jpg

20190411_220131.jpg

Seems to me if memory serves they are not the same either. On 69 one was or maybe even both were originally square.

"3 way hazard" LOL.. Guess I just can't type, anymore..........

You could add the top of the fender turn signals if you wanted to do that. i’m Adding 66 Barracuda fender signals to my 65.

-
Back