Disk brake upgrade

-

Greenmachine225

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to upgrade the disk brakes on my 71 duster. It has spindles and disk brakes from a 76 dart now but I want to upgrade to a better system since I drive the car a lot. I’d definitely like to keep my 15 inch rally’s also. What all do you guys recommend in terms of brands youve had experience with. Thanks!

IMG_5377.jpeg

If the stock 76 disc brakes aren’t up to snuff, better start looking at some 4 piston front brakes like Wilwood. Dr diff sells great brake packages.

If you already have the the sub 12" rotor, anything better probably will require 17" or larger wheels but that come with far more tire choices than you can get in 15".

Dr. Diff 13" front kit is the best budget to perferformance kit out there, but needs 17" min. wheel.

‘76 Dart would have the 10.95” rotors and the larger 2.75” piston calipers.

You can add the 11.75” rotors by just buying new rotors and the 11.75” caliper brackets, and those will still fit with 15” rims. It’s a decent improvement in braking force with just the larger rotors. DoctorDiff has everything you need.

Wilwood 4 piston calipers have less clamp force than the 2.75” piston slider calipers. It’s a hard comparison because of the multi-piston and fixed vs slider caliper arrangement and efficiency losses. But 4 piston Wilwood calipers are not a slam dunk improvement.

Last edited:
OP also did not mention what size master cylinder he currently has- it's possible that a change to the 15/16 unit could give him the improvement he's looking for.

For the record, I have 11.75" mopar rotors sitting on '73 style bbp spindles and I am very happy with the braking performance. I currently have them set up with a power booster (same booster and MC out of a 73 duster) but I eventually want to go to a manual brake set up with the 15/16" MC. I have heard really good things about that combo.

For the record, I have 11.75" mopar rotors sitting on '73 style bbp spindles and I am very happy with the braking performance. I currently have them set up with a power booster (same booster and MC out of a 73 duster) but I eventually want to go to a manual brake set up with the 15/16" MC. I have heard really good things about that combo.

Yeah I’ve run 11.75” rotors and the 2.75” piston calipers on my Challenger for 70k+ miles and on my Duster for awhile as well (it now has 13” brakes). I ran 275/40/17’s on the Challenger and never had an issue with the braking capabilities. It’s a relatively small change but it makes for a nice improvement.

You can also get better brake pads, @BergmanAutoCraft has high performance brake pads for those calipers that should help as well.

Just curious if you are using performance pads or generics? it does make a huge difference..

stock '76 discs in good repair will be hard to improve on. Maybe your brakes need some attention?

like others have said, you'd be hard pressed to improve upon the single piston calipers without spending a sizeable chunk of dough in both the brakes themselves and corresponding rims to fit and rubber to harness the newfound stopping capabilities.

i too would look toward better pads, a master cylinder upgrade and probably a proportioning valve to dial it in. some stainless steel drop lines while not a huge game changer will take up a bit of the mush in the system from rubber lines, so that's worth considering as well.

The brakes it has now are excellent. I'd be a cold day in hell before I spent money "THERE".

‘76 Dart would have the 10.95” rotors and the larger 2.75” piston calipers.

You can add the 11.75” rotors by just buying new rotors and the 11.75” caliper brackets, and those will still fit with 15” rims. It’s a decent improvement in braking force with just the larger rotors. DoctorDiff has everything you need.

Wilwood 4 piston calipers have less clamp force than the 2.75” piston slider calipers. It’s a hard comparison because of the multi-piston and fixed vs slider caliper arrangement and efficiency losses. But 4 piston Wilwood calipers are not a slam dunk improvement.
Sweet thanks man, I checked out the kit on doctor diff, I’ll definitely be going with that!

like others have said, you'd be hard pressed to improve upon the single piston calipers without spending a sizeable chunk of dough in both the brakes themselves and corresponding rims to fit and rubber to harness the newfound stopping capabilities.

i too would look toward better pads, a master cylinder upgrade and probably a proportioning valve to dial it in. some stainless steel drop lines while not a huge game changer will take up a bit of the mush in the system from rubber lines, so that's worth considering as well.
Yeah I think it’s just the pads I’m running, they’re just generic oreillys pads. I’ll opt for the bigger 11.75 rotor and caliper upgrade and the 15/16s master along with some steel lines.

-
Back