Distributor blues..

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
Okay, so I finally got my replacement (Accel) vacuum advance mag pickup distributor. It's a Mopar replacement. I'm having problems again. It starts fine when cold. It idles/runs better than the old distributor. Every time I shut it off when its warm it doesn't want to restart. The reluctor gap is good. Battery voltages, starter, are okay. It cranks good.

The car starts fine with the old distributor when its warm.

I hate the thought of getting a new distributor again. It's an MSD system that runs with the old distributor .

Okay, so I finally got my replacement (Accel) vacuum advance mag pickup distributor. It's a Mopar replacement. I'm having problems again. It starts fine when cold. It idles/runs better than the old distributor. Every time I shut it off when its warm it doesn't want to restart. The reluctor gap is good. Battery voltages, starter, are okay. It cranks good.

The car starts fine with the old distributor when its warm.

I hate the thought of getting a new distributor again. It's an MSD system that runs with the old distributor .

Sounds like a pickup coil issue?

Thanks Dave.

Makes sense, except why only when the engine is warm? Are the pickups heat sensitive? It sure is maddening. It runs great until I shut it off.

Thanks Dave.

Makes sense, except why only when the engine is warm? Are the pickups heat sensitive? It sure is maddening. It runs great until I shut it off.

I had a distributor that when the reluctor (that's what I call the little square pickup inside the distributor) got hot the engine died, cooled down started right back up'

Terry

Thanks guys, sounds like we're getting somewhere. I didn't know heat would effect the pickup coil.

Nope, the car runs great. It's just trying to restart it once it warms up. If I shut it off I'm screwed.

The pick-up coil (the reluctor is the metal piece on the shaft) is not heat sensitive unless it's defective.

I had a similar problem with a stock mopar electronic ignition where it would start instantly when cold or restart when hot but after sitting sitting for 15 minutes or so was very hard starting. Ran great when it was running so I figured it was fuel and tried all the normal tricks to isolate the carb and even tried several different carbs but never fixed it.

I figured maybe a hotter ignition would help and I added an MSD 6A. This did not help either.

Over time it got worse until I couldn't get it to start at all after getting gas one day. When I got the car home and trouble shot the issue turned out the coil was the problem. It was a Blaster 2 that I had been using for about 5 years. Got one of the E-core Blaster SS and the car starts instantly hot or cold ever since

Yep every mfgrs, modules and pick up coils suffered temp related intermitent failures.

Just one more vote - I have an MSD distributor that had the same problem ... ran great but would not re-start when hot. Changed the pickup - no more problem.

Kory

Problem solved! Thanks everyone, you were right on the money.

I went out today to start the car when it was cold. It wouldn't start again.

So it seems it was a defective pickup coil. I didn't want to mess with the Accel, so I went out and got a new Mopar distributor. The car started right away. I let it warmup, shut it off, & repeated a few times. It's fine now.

It seems the people at Accel sent me back the same distributor I originally had problems with. I could see screw marks where they fixed the incorrect gap with the reluctor. So the gap was wrong, & the pickup was faulty to begin with. I guess I have to send the stupid thing back again.

-
Back