distributor disassembly in car

-

jeppe

Reaction score
hello!
so this is prob stupid guestion but can i change springs in my distributor and add limiter plate while distributor is in car or do i have to remove it.ty :=)
car has -70 sbm

Having just pulled my Firecore to set the total and change springs I'd say maybe but it would be a complete pain in your back while fighting the wiper motor. It's just to easy to pull. Just remember which way the rotor is pointing before you pull it since its a slot drive you have a 50-50 chance of putting it back correctly and as long as the oil pump drive stays engaged with the cam gear. I usually give the rotor a little jiggle as I pull it.

I'm with dano, pull the distributor and get a nice lighted area to swap the springs and limiter plate

Totally agree with the other comments. Do you really want to try and find the springs or other components in the engine bay if you drop something?I always pull out my phone and snap a couple of pics before I dis-assemble anything . I don’t trust my short term memory so much anymore.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous comments, plus I don't think you can even do it because you have to drive out the pin in the lower shaft in order to pull the shaft and have decent access to the springs. I bet you can't even see the springs in the distributor while it's in the car, unless you lay out on your belly over the engine. All distributor work is much much easier on a well-lit bench.

In order to replace the distributor correctly, you need to create two reference points. One, mark the base and the block surface so you can align the distributor body correctly. Two, note the orientation of the rotor, so it is facing the right direction when you reinsert it. If you do this precisely you won't even have to set the timing again.

-
Back