Distributor Drive bushing replacement... necessary?

-

snailpower

Reaction score
Im about to begin reassembly on my 99 5.9l Magnum converted to carb for my 72. I had the machine shop hone and check everything over + hot tank. I forgot to have them remove / replace the distributor drive bushing.

I don't have the tool necessary to replace/ burnish the bushing correctly. Is this something I can re-use if I just check for play on the old shaft? Or should I replace this? Currently it is brass and "appears" to look good (no obvious wear).

Any opinions/ experience is appreciated.

Thanks!

Im about to begin reassembly on my 99 5.9l Magnum converted to carb for my 72. I had the machine shop hone and check everything over + hot tank. I forgot to have them remove / replace the distributor drive bushing.

I don't have the tool necessary to replace/ burnish the bushing correctly. Is this something I can re-use if I just check for play on the old shaft? Or should I replace this? Currently it is brass and "appears" to look good (no obvious wear).

Any opinions/ experience is appreciated.

Thanks!
I always replace the distributor drive bushing whenever I rebuild an engine. The hot tank solution is acidic, hence, it will eat away at the bushing. 65'

Yes, and source a bushing from Dorman and it will already be the right size as installed. No burnishing needed with that one.

Yes, and source a bushing from Dorman and it will already be the right size as installed. No burnishing needed with that one.

Awesome thanks for the help guys. I ordered a few pioneer pc780 bushings (they are cheap why not a few) which also appently dont need burnishing. Any tips for removing the old one and installing new?

I have a slide hammer but the pilot bushing tip I have is too big to fit in the dist bushing. Any other easy ways of getting it out? Install seems straight forward, but should I coat the outside in some loctite?

In case anyone finds this in the future, I got it out by using a small hammer and a socket adapter from the bottom on a 10" extension. Put the extension through the hole under the cap (about .5" diameter) and snapped the adapter on after. came out clean and quick. Still waiting for the replacement to come in.

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

-
Back