Distributor Gear Differences

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How can you tell the difference between cast iron and steel distributors gears by lookin at um? I think I know how, but I wanna be sure. Thank you drive through.

How can you tell the difference between cast iron and steel distributors gears by lookin at um? I think I know how, but I wanna be sure. Thank you drive through.
Steel is magnetic, cast isn't?

Are you serious^^^^^? Iron is one of the four metals that are magnetic. Nickel,Cobalt ans steel the other three.

Cast is magnetic. cast will have a greyish look where steel will be shinier. It may be hard to tell on dist. gears though. If it was a casting, you can grind in a inconspicuous place. Cast will throw off dull red short sparks, where steel sparks are allot brighter and shoot allot further.

I think I found my answer. It looks like a cast gear has pits like regular cast iron whereas steel is smooth. Mine is very smooth and when I scratch it, it is shiny.

Dried blood is magnetic.
There's enough iron, even when all of it is combined with oxygen in hemoglobin.
I was shocked to discover this when I thought I had gotten a steel sliver out, but found it was just dried blood, and it got picked up by a magnet on the handle of a pocket screwdriver.
Steel is much easier to scratch than cast iron, having a lot less carbon.
But cast fractures a lot more easily, where steel will take beating pretty well without fracturing.

I didn't ask whether anything was magnetic. Dammit all. lol

Hey! I'm magnetic but I don't brag.
LMAO

Why I phrased as a question, wasn't sure. But I did look and see that cast is not as magnetic as steel. Don't ask me why, I'm no metallurgist.

Cast has minor flaws in the surface as you suspected.

What mopar head said. Its called,of course,a spark test. With the right charts you can identify a surprising amount of metals. And all you need is a grinder.

-
Back