Distributor HELP

-

Damitt29

Reaction score
Issue I'm having is I have. 72 Dart swinger with a 318 pulled motor due to bottom end bearing out. Bought a motor told is a 69 318. The distributor from the 72 is too long by about 1 3/8. Not sure what I have going on local part store wasn't if any help.

All small block distributors should be the same. I've never heard of any that were longer.

!!!! PHOTOS !!!!!

This isn't a reverse rotation marine engine by any chance??

This is RB not smallblock

attachment.php

Can you give me more info on what you talking about I'm not familiar with either motor

Can you give me more info on what you talking about I'm not familiar with either motor

No, YOU give us more information.

!!!! PHOTOS !!!!!

The photo above was just a guess What we need is photos of this alleged engine you bought, and the two distributors side by side, and "what they came out of.

What I posted above is merely an example, and a photo I found on the www. What you are looking at, here, is two distributor setups out of 440 engines which are known as "RB" for "raised block." AGAIN THESE ARE EXAMPLES.

The important thing here, is NOT "what engine" these are. The important thing is, the distributor on the left which would fit a common ordinary passenger car 440 is SHORTER than the one on the right, and that is because the distributor on the right fits INSIDE the long device lying beside it. This device is used in REVERSE ROTATION marine engines and provides thrust for the distributor drive gear, which in a reversed engine will try to "climb" out of the engine, and would put thrust on the distributor, which is not designed for this.

Smallblocks use the same device. This is the only thing I can think of, but IT IS A GUESS until YOU provide photos of what you have.

It's better for you to take some pictures of what you have, rather than ask us to search around the internet for stuff that may not even relate to your application. :violent1:

If YOU want help, then YOU have to do a little work yourself.

You can't ask us to waste our time because you can't give us the information needed to help you. If you are not willing to spend a little time so we can help you, then why should we waste our time trying? :banghead:

There is plenty of expertise here to help you. You need to throw us a few bones so we can steer you in the right direction.

Take some pictures of your distributors, including side by side and post them. Someone here will be able to help you. Most likely many people here will be able to help, once we know what we are dealing with.

If you need help posting pictures, ask and we can give you some help with that also. :sad1:

Not looking for y'all to search for me more asking if it was an easy know issue or not. I can do the research myself not an issue that's for the insight

are you sure the intermediate shaft is all the way down?

Not looking for y'all to search for me more asking if it was an easy know issue or not. I can do the research myself not an issue that's for the insight

Without you giving us information how in hell are supposed to know what your problem is!????????????

GEZUZ

POST A PHOTO of the thing, see if it has the adapter on the engine.

Are you sure both distributors belong with the engines? Maybe someone "tossed in" a wrong distributor?

RUSTY WHERE IS THAT DAMMED CRYSTAL BALL OF YOURS??

are you sure the intermediate shaft is all the way down?

Well he claims one distributor is longer, so ????

:worthles:

This board is a two way street. If you won't provide some information, we cannot be expected to provide meaningful answers

y+travel+blog+You%2527re+Going+the+Wrong+Way+-+%2522umm+Dad%252C+I+think+this+is+a+one+way+street%2521+Elephants+are+the+REAL+kings+of+Africa%2522.jpg

Completely understand I will get all my sucks on a row and reply with more info tmw the car isn't here at home. As of now all I know is the guy swapping the motor called and said the distributor from my motor is to long or talk for the new motor. Il do my homework and get back sometime tmw

OK, sounds better. Sounds like you have not actually seen it,.....................chances are indeed the drive gear 'came up' Be sure and inspect it as to cause. That is, whoever pulled the distributor, the drive gear might simply have been stuck in the drive tang / slot on the distributor, and pulled it up.

Completely understand I will get all my sucks on a row and reply with more info tmw the car isn't here at home. As of now all I know is the guy swapping the motor called and said the distributor from my motor is to long or talk for the new motor. Il do my homework and get back sometime tmw

Yes, get some pictures of both distributors especially with both of them side by side for comparison.

Also take some pictures down the hole for the distributor of the gear.

If they are too big to post, first open them up in PAINT

Then RESIZE to 40%

Then SAVE AS or SAVE them into a file (I like to rename the "modified" ones).

Then go to the GO ADVANCED button

Click on the paper clip.

Pick all pictures that you need to load/post and then click UPLOAD

After upload is complete, click the x on the top right of the box to close it.

Then click the paper clip again and choose which file to load one at a time, or load all at once.

That's it....

Your distributor gear may not be fully seated, or maybe someone gave you the wrong distributor when you bought the motor/parts.

A big block distributor spins in the reverse direction than the small block, so the vacuum advance pod is reversed from the small block one. Easy to tell in a picture.

Both big block and small block distributors have "slots" at the bottom of the shaft and no gears attached to the shaft. They are easily told apart by the vacuum advance pod direction.

Slant 6 distributors have a gear attached to the shaft.

I picked up what I thought was an electronic dizzy at a swap meet to find it was also too long by an eighth inch. Was gonna machine it down to fit until I noticed the vacuum dash pot worked opposite of a correct one. It would rotate the pickup in the opposite direction. Still don't know what the dizzy came out of.....

I noticed the vacuum dash pot worked opposite of a correct one. It would rotate the pickup in the opposite direction......

Simple, depends on whether you are looking at it from the perspective of a SB, B, or RB. SB and B / RB rotate different directions, and are all different lengths. "Normal" SB rotates CW, B / RB rotate CCW

cudaroy some of the 413/426 industrial engines have gear drives and the dist.turns backwards

Simple, depends on whether you are looking at it from the perspective of a SB, B, or RB. SB and B / RB rotate different directions, and are all different lengths. "Normal" SB rotates CW, B / RB rotate CCW

Good to know....thanks.

-
Back