Distributor help

-

Sean1105

Reaction score
Help IBB-401A dist
Two questions

1. Where can I get another set of points? I've browsed nearly everywhere no identical set.

2. Do point have to look exact same or as long as they bolt up .
Same question but condenser.

View attachment 1715522235

View attachment 1715522236

20200417_200034.jpg

My crystal ball was knocked off the table and broke in a cat fight. Can you give us some clues? What engine and what distributor? As much info as possible instead of "the other way" always helps.

My crystal ball was knocked off the table and broke in a cat fight. Can you give us some clues? What engine and what distributor? As much info as possible instead of "the other way" always helps.

68 barracuda w 440hp out of 69 charger

Im sure Rusty Rob can help you.
If you need, Halifaxhops is a member here and is all about the mopar distributors and parts too.
Good luck

DO you know what distributor? I am almost 100% sure it's not Chrysler, as most of the Chrysler dual point distributors were cast iron. That appears not to be cast iron.

Going on that assumption, "MOST" aftermarket dual point distributors take a standard set of Ford points. I have looked in vein and All the points I see are "backwards" from yours........except these.

Mallory Replacement Point Set #25758M

But those points have the hinge post made with them it appears and yours I "just bet" are made into the distributor. If they come out with the points, those Mallory points are probably what you need. Hard to know without know what distributor you have. Maybe you could find a tag on it somewhere.

DO you know what distributor? I am almost 100% sure it's not Chrysler, as most of the Chrysler dual point distributors were cast iron. That appears not to be cast iron.

Going on that assumption, "MOST" aftermarket dual point distributors take a standard set of Ford points. I have looked in vein and All the points I see are "backwards" from yours........except these.

But those points have the hinge post made with them it appears and yours I "just bet" are made into the distributor. If they come out with the points, those Mallory points are probably what you need. Hard to know without know what distributor you have. Maybe you could find a tag on it somewhere.
Sorry will this help

20200417_200552.jpg

IBB-401A number

Yup. That splains it, Lucy. You need to sell that bad boy to a numbers guy. That is a 1968 only 426 Hemi distributor. You will find it really difficult finding points for that I do believe.

Yup. That splains it, Lucy. You need to sell that bad boy to a numbers guy. That is a 1968 only 426 Hemi distributor. You will find it really difficult finding points for that I do believe.
Appreciate its time to take it electronic

Thank you. One other question whats the best budget friendly decent quality distributor to do this any tips or advice would be much appreciated ¹.

I like the Pertronix stuff for aftermarket. There's always the stock Mopar ignition, but GOOD parts are getting harder to find.

I like the Pertronix stuff for aftermarket. There's always the stock Mopar ignition, but GOOD parts are getting harder to find.
Would I be wasting my time putting a pertronix ignitor in this distributor considering it's older unit or are they pretty tough units

Would I be wasting my time putting a pertronix ignitor in this distributor considering it's older unit or are they pretty tough units

Well, you would be without a vacuum advance can, which IMO is important for a street car, plus, you'd be devaluing an original Hemi distributor.

Rusty nailed it. It is for a hemi Dart or Barracuda. Without a vac. advance unit it couldn't pass emissions testing. You could sand and polish the points. Try NAPA. Both sets of points must be the same brand as they work together to create the spark. A couple of drops of oil around the allen head screw. A rare piece.

I have the parts you need shoot me a message with the tag number. Early RB tach drive unit. 60/61

-
Back