Distributor Lubrication? & is my stock alternator enough for HEI?

-

Ridge911

Reaction score
I'm about to do the HEI upgrade, and I have a NOS Mopar single pickup electronic ignition distributor with vacuum advance that I got from Old Car Parts Northwest. In my '64 service manual, it recommends lubricating the stock (points type) distributor in a couple places... Is there any place I'm supposed to lubricate this newer type distributor before I install it?

Also, will my stock alternator put out enough power to run this HEI system properly? I plan to upgrade my alternator in the future, but would like to put it off for now, if possible. I don't have any accessories on my car right now, not even a radio.

No lubrication needed.And as long as you feed it with a 12 ga. wire the HEI will work just fine for you .
Arco

I ran mine off the stock alt at first but quickly upgraded to a dual field alt just to be safe.

A PROPERLY working alternator will work just fine

You don't need no12 wire, 14 is fine

Be sure and ground the HEI, both for power and heat

The only place your dist. needs to be lubed is the felt in the top "hat" of the advance mechanism.

IF you have it apart for some reason, IE replacing the bushings, I always lubed it really good in the shaft / bushing area with light grease.

I got an inline fuse holder that is prerun with 16 gauge wire. I'll run most of the length with 12 gauge, but that little bit is still 16... Think I'll be okay?

I did the install with the 16 gauge fuse holder and some other weak gauge wiring in a couple places just to test my wiring setup. It started and ran fine. The next day, I took my time and reran everything with at least 14 gauge wire, usually using 12 gauge. Car runs pretty much just like before. At least it runs.

-
Back