Distributor mod

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Thought I'd try and contribute for a change instead of asking questions. Haven't seen this here, so here goes.

Noticed last year that even with my distrib locked at 33 degrees, timing would "flutter" a bit at times. No big deal but it kinda bugged me. An oldtimer told me about this trick and I HOPE it's ok to do...makes sense.

So in pic 1 you can see my distib is bolted down. Note position of the rotor.

Pic 2 is me putting a little up pressure on my intermediate gear. If you look close, the rotor has definitely moved a couple degrees.

Went to the hardware store and bought a 1/2 inch bushing. Slide it on the shaft and carefully install disrib. You can now tighten the set screw enough to slide out your distrib and lock it permanantly. No more up and down movement of the gear.

Pic 3 is the bushing and pic 4 is installed on my distrib. I MAY use a small punch to make absolutely sure that set screw doesn't fly out at 7000 RPM. That's a little scary...

Pretty interestd in what you guys think. Is it a yay or nay?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 492
  • 3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 04.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 540
Yes it works.

Once tight, you could peen the collar to keep your set screw in place if really worried.

I have seen that done before where the collar goes all the way up and the body of the dizzy keeps it from pushing up. should work well. I am putting one on my MP dizzy in my dart.

It's got my approval. Good idea. Thanks for sharing.

this is well known or used to be. don't overdue, it can put too much thrust on dist. bearing, not designed to 'take' it.

It is possible to add a thrust compression spring to take out some slop, yet provide the necessary give over temperature and slight misalingnment.

I bought an aluminum distributor thrust spacer with a self locking set screw from Ed Hamburger in 1980 for $7.15 , I still have the catalog and it says the pump drive shaft can move up as much as .200", and needs to be limited to .015"

I've got the Ed Hamburger pieces in my engines too, and I've still got a spare! They've been steadying timing since 1978. Thanks for sharing the idea with others because I would have never thought to do so.

The collar trick works, I had one on my magnum for years. Definitely made a difference in steadying the timing.

Can the bushing/collar be installed on the dizzy shaft without having the intake off?
If so, where do you tighten the bushing?

Can the bushing/collar be installed on the dizzy shaft without having the intake off?
If so, where do you tighten the bushing?

Yes, I installed mine with the intake on. What you do is install the collar on the bottom of the shaft (just above "slot") and tighten it just enough to where it will stay in place on the shaft, but can still be moved fair easily. Do not make it too tight or it will not move during the next step. Also, to ahead and put loctite on the set screw at this time. Once the collar is in place, install the distributor in the motor and tighten it all the way down. The collar will slide into the correct position. Then all you need to do is pull the distributor, tighten the set screw, and reinstall.

Thanks UOP. I like this idea. I will be replacing a worn out O ring soon and I'll do this while I'm at it.
Danny

I bought an aluminum distributor thrust spacer with a self locking set screw from Ed Hamburger in 1980 for $7.15 , I still have the catalog and it says the pump drive shaft can move up as much as .200", and needs to be limited to .015"
Great info and thanks for sharing ###
I recently bought a iron Mechanical tach distributor from a member and it had this device installed .

2DB8627E-F118-4718-9729-97BF7714BEA4.jpeg

Nice. Do you really see more stability with them? I was wondering if the oil pum drive accel/decel if it walks up and down, have heard both sides of it.

New to me / never seen a Large cap mechanical tach set up with Chrysler or Prestolite tag on it
Learn something every day.
There is a adapter out there for them. Think it is a Ford cap not sure of the rotor if it is ford or not.

Good information here, I've been trying to figure why my timing 's been bouncing around, now to get off my lazy *** and find a collar. Anyone have an internet source, I have an Mopar Performance replacement distributor. Thanks Jeff.

You can get a 1/2 shaft collar arod $3 at the hardware store. Watch the set screw on them make sure it is lock tighted and really tight. Reason I wont use them doing distrib rebuilds.

-
Back