Distributor timing

-

MoparMike_87

"Sh'Dynasty. That's S H comma-to-the-top Dynasty."
Reaction score
Ok, another first timer question... How in the world do you install a distributor set on a new / rebuilt motor that has no reference point? I want to make sure that it is done right the first time to help ensure the motor turns over on my first few attempts.

Thanks again for allowing me to dip into your bag of experience!

Mike

Bring number 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed) a good starting point would be 10* BTDC. Look at the intermediate shaft, the slot should point towards the front intake bolt on the driver side. Drop the distributor in making sure the rotor is pointing the same direction.

Be absolutely sure of your firing order:

Attachments

• fireorder.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 391
Find true Top Dead Center with a dead stop tool, then mark your balancer accordingly.

Then before starting, put it at about 10° mark on the damper and align the distributor so the rotor is right on the #1 cylinder wire terminal.

then crank it up.

(Make sure that you are not 180° off...)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900189

I would like to add something here. When assembling the engine, line up the timing chain marks at 12 o'clock top gear and 12 o'clock bottom gear, this is TDC compression stroke. Once the marks are at 12 and 12, I go down the distributor opening and paint a line on the camshaft that can only be seen at TDC compression stroke not at TDC exhaust stroke. Now you don't ever have to take a plug out to find compression stroke, just turn the motor to TDC on damper/timing mark and look down the dist hole and if you don't see the paint stripe then turn the engine 1 revolution! If you set up the timing chain like the book says at 6 and 12 the distributor will be 180 degrees incorrect.

... How in the world do you install a distributor set on a new / rebuilt motor that has no reference point? .............

What do you mean by "no reference point?"

Does the engine have the proper balancer and timing marks? if so, that is your "reference point" assuming they are correct

If one or other is wrong, or suspected wrong, or missing, you can MAKE a TDC mark using what is called a "piston stop."

stick your finger in #1 sparkplug hole, have an assistant rotate engine with brakerbar on damper bolt, as your finger starts to blowout, stop at 10 degrees BTDC, move distributor
make sure rotor is pointing at #1 on cap. pretty basic

Another sure way is remove valve cover on #1 cylinder, spin the engine over in the correct rotation, and watch for the intake valve open and when it closes look at the TDC mark on the balancer ad set to 0 degrees. Install the distributor so that the rotor button points to exactly#1 cylinder in the distributor cap. Then move the distributor 5/8" backwards (advance) and loosely tighten down. This should be within 5 degrees of being right. Start engine and disconnect the vacuum advance and plug temporarily. Set timing and connect advance hose back to distributor.

with the dampener slit on TDC #6 compression preoil one bank then back up the crank 3/4 of a turn CCW & preoil the other bank (I forget which position oils which bank). If you left it on 6/12 o'clock dot to dot then you are on #6 compression (go to the one you are closest to first to minimize the turning). can cut a strip of paper 17.082" to use as a ruler to go back 3/4 of a turn (from #6 back CCW to #eight). EDIT for the dist I would get the slit at 15 BTDC then install dist with you standing over the pass fender looking down on it so the rotor is pointing at 5 o'clock if the slit is on #1 compression 12/12 o'clock dot to dot) or pointing at 11 0'clock if you are on #6 compression (6/12 o'clock dot to dot) with the vac can pointing straight up at 12 o'clock (across to the dr side fender) with the #1 plug wire plugged in just below the forward dist cap spring steel retainer and have the housing turned slightly till the magnet is dead even with the tooth. Clock the inter gear ANYWHERE to accomplish this and starting with the intergear slot parallel to the eng centerline is a VG start. this is OE & maintaining that is a good practice & that standardization helps prevent future errors and lets the wires nestle as neatly as possible. From #1 route the wires on around CCW #1 (already there) then 8-4-3-6-5-7-2. if the rotor is at 11 o'clock then plug in #6 there & go on around CCW 6 (already there) then 5-7-2-1-8-4-3

You get a factory service manual on something that has the same year model big block as you have. It is all in there about how to install the distributor correctly. That way you have it in front of you anytime you want it.

-
Back