Distributor VS Distributor

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
Ive been looking for information on the subject but can't find an answer. Would a distributor from a 318 in a van differ from a 318 in a dart? i pulled one off a van that had the vacuum advance on it to replace the one on my dart that didn't have the vacuum advance. after swapping to a 4 barrel set up, i think i can't get enough initial without going over the initial + mechanical limit. i noticed last night my original distributor has a problem of the advance plate lifting off the pins on the weights. whenever i would pull up on the reluctor, off they go. would the original one have a smaller advance plate? allowing for more initial?

What you have there HAS NO advance of any kind. What you befell is a "lean burn" system distributor, in which timing / advance was controlled by the lean burn system, similar to more modern EFI

If your original advance plate is coming apart, it is likely missing the spring / retainer. This is a little "Y" shaped springie thingie. That plate DOES sort of "lift up" with very little force.

I had one 'ell of a time finding a photo to steal off Al Gore's internet

http://jtsjunkyard.blogspot.com/2011/04/rebuilding-chrysler-electronic.html

Attachments

• advance.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 169
it actually has that. when i took off top plate to reveal the advance plate, i seen that clip and it was kinda crooked. still locked in center tab but not aligned with the pin in one of the "fingers". I just feel as with enough rotating force or changing rotors might cause it to lift and disconnect from the mechanical advance weights and throw off timing since the top of the shaft can rotate without turning the whole shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_20131228_125954.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 137
I think I figured it out. When I lift it, it comes up just enought to clear the weights. But pull harder and it comes out. Pretty sure there is a clip that is supposed to hold it. Found out the bottom says 11 so it would add 22 degrees of timing.

-
Back