Distributor

-

jam4ever

Reaction score
I'm looking to change form points to eletronic distributor. I was wonder if I could get any of your opinions on a good quality dist.

Thanks-

The stock type dist. is decent. Especially if the advance curve is correct. I'm not crazy on the orange box though. I had a new one that was bad and have read about several others getting orange boxes new that were bad. Also I have read reports that the timing drops back at high rpm with the orange box. I don't know how true that is though. The only way I could think that would happen is if weren't holding the dwell stable. Hopefully Ma Mopar has solved that problem.

A complete MSD or Mallory system will give you a little more kick but it costs quite a bit more.

If you don't have much to spend you can keep your point type dist. and put in a Pertronix ignitor. It bolts in where the points was and converts your dist. to electronic. We used them in forklifts alot and they worked great and were dependable. Summit has them too.

The stock distib is excellent, recurve it if needed for the hi performance useage. Otherwise, on mild motors, the stock advance unit is fine. I also would skip the Orange box and go right to the chrome box and proper ballast resister.

You can try FBO also. 4secondsflat.com

or you can go to pick & pull and grab the control box ,dist,and harness...then go to bigblockdart.com and go to the tech page and get the wiring diagram for the box you got.

-
Back