Div. 2 Race at Silver Dollar Raceway

-

BJR Racing

Reaction score
Went to Reynolds,Ga. yesterday for the Div. 2 Lucas Oil Race. I can say that I've never seen that track with so many race cars ever before. I had the chance to see some old friends and a chance to meet some new ones. While we were walking around in the morning (hoping that it wasn't going to snow) as wind chills were nearing the low to mid 30's all day, temp was 48* just before noon. But any way as we walked around finding all the mopar contengent and talking to them, there sure was some very interesting stuff that we talked about. Mainly from 2 very different people one being Arthur Leong, and the other being Sid Bonnicary (sp) Arthur driving his 95 neon and Sid driving a 70 Duster with a 360 but because of the rules the engine is 372 CI with the stroke correction. Arthur had a 2.4 PT Cruiser engine in the neon.

Arthur set the national record SS/GS at 12.740 thats 1.560 under the index for the class. But Sid with his 360 engine with Mopar logoed Edlebrock heads, magnum version ran 9.93 @ 138 mph in a 3400 + lbs. car. Sid was using a Super Victor manifold ported by Wilson manifolds and they set up the FI in it. He was using a 1,000 cfm throttle body and 42 lbs. injectors. The engine makes over 660 HP to the tires and near 800 out of the engine or a bit more. The block is a 360 cast iron like anyone has and the crank was a 4340 one with 4340 rods. The bore is .060 over and the heads were 178 cc int. runners and 78 cc exh. runners. He said that the cam he was running was in the 274 278 range but that the new cam that he was getting would be in the 280 to 288 range at .050. He turns the engine to 7400 rpm's now and with the new cam he would be able to go to 7800 or 8000 rpm's. He also told me that the car has about 4-5 tenths left in it.

So heres a car that weighs over 3,400 lbs. and a 360 engine thats capiable of some mid to low 9 second 1/4 mile passes in street trim. Oh and get this he was running a 9 X 30 stock eliminator tire. This car didn't have any fiberglass on it, and was running a 1 3/4 tube hedder. I wished I had my camera with me as he was carring the front tires past the tree and the bottom of the tires were at the top pre stage lights.

I also had the chance to talk to Marty Thacker a Top Alcohol racer from Robinson, Ill. with a 450 CI PSI supercharged engine. He was super super nice and very cordial. I had the chance to spend about a hour and a half with him, of course between rounds of qualifing. He ended up qualifing 3rd at 5.40 at 266 mph. Thats a very good showing for a blown car, as Bill Reichert led the field at 5.337 at 268 mph. With Duane Shields running a 5.34 at 264 mph. Both Reichert and Shields are A/F or Nitro injected cars. I have to say Thanks to Marty, as we discussed everything from clutch setups to heads to fuel systems.

Others that was talked to include Jim DeFrank from Cal. and Mike Coughlin from OH. and JEG's fame, David Rampy from Alabama, Bruce Wilson from Tallapoosa, Ga. a S/ST racer and Anthony Reese and Steve Brown both S/Comp Racers from Atlanta, Ga.. We had a great time even if it was a bit on the cool side, as GA. weather go's.

-
Back