Dmv title help

-
No, they didn't. They still don't title old cars.
So you're telling me that I, a Missouri resident, can just send Vermont a letter, with no proof of ownership, politely requesting some license plates for a vehicle in a different state, and they just cash the check and drop em in the mail?

raw.gif

So you're telling me that I, a Missouri resident, can just send Vermont a letter, with no proof of ownership, politely requesting some license plates for a vehicle in a different state, and they just cash the check and drop em in the mail?

View attachment 1715936307
No,I'm not. But if you have another states title, can tag in VT. You won't get a VT title. You can then use the VT registration to get a title in your state.

Though you're not that far off for older bikes.

No,I'm not. But if you have another states title, can tag in VT. You won't get a VT title. You can then use the VT registration to get a title in your state.

Though you're not that far off for older bikes.

I'll gladly take a list of states that issue a title without a title. Missouri requires a title or notified proof of ownership from a lienholder; our titles are issued 100% and if there's a lien it's recorded on the title so you can't do any funny business.

I'll gladly take a list of states that issue a title without a title. Missouri requires a title or notified proof of ownership from a lienholder; our titles are issued 100% and if there's a lien it's recorded on the title so you can't do any funny business.
New York State does not issue a title for any vehicle 1972 or older. Anything 1973 and above would have a title.

New York State does not issue a title for any vehicle 1972 or older. Anything 1973 and above would have a title.
So if I show up with my '69 Charge Daytona, how do I get plates?

So if I show up with my '69 Charge Daytona, how do I get plates?
You register the car. I didn’t say that you couldn’t register it with a legit out of state title. Back when I lived up in New York I’d go to the DMV, submit the title and get a Non Transferable Registration and after a month or so I would receive the Transferable Registration in the mail. The DMV explained that they had to process the title with South Carolina before they could issue the transferable registration. Now when I moved to North Carolina the DMV took the NYS registration and issued me a North Carolina title that was Non Transferable. You then made an appointment with the DMV to have an inspection done to verify the VIN plate to the car. Once that was verified I was sent a transferable title in the mail.
We never had to go through the VIN verification process until someone bought a car without the proper paperwork and had a friend that was the Head of the State DMV get the car the title issue. This was on a street rod and some time later the car came back as a stolen out of state vehicle.

Just about all of them. MANY states do not title older cars. Off the top of my head, NY, ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, GA, AL all don't title a car if it's old enough. If you have a 1963 Valiant in any of those states and move to Kansas City, you absolutely can get it tagged in Missouri.

Just an update to this thread:
I can attest that I was wrong, Vermont will issue enough paperwork to get a title.

Maybe not for long. But they will

Just an update to this thread:
I can attest that I was wrong, Vermont will issue enough paperwork to get a title.

Maybe not for long. But they will
So how do you go about doing so?

So how do you go about doing so?
There's videos on YouTube, but the basics:
Get law enforcement in your state to verify that the vehicle is not reported stolen.
Get a bill of sale.
Go to Vermont DMV website to get paperwork needed to get LICENSE PLATES.
Get your license plates from Vermont, which includes 'proof of ownership'.
Use that proof to get title in your state. Plate accordingly.

There ARE restrictions on types and ages of vehicles.
You do NOT need to use an intermediary. They're just taking money to mail paperwork that you mail them.

-
Back