Do dual quads on a small block really suck?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Do dual quads on a small block really suck? (No pun intended).
Dual Quad manifolds are few and far between for the Mopar smallblock....yet they are readily available for 289 Ford and 283 Chev....and most reports I've read state a good single quad or six pak will outperform a 2X4 setup. With proper sized and tuned carbs, does it make any sense that a smallblock Mopar should be any different than any other small-cube motor running 2X4? Anyone have any track experience to back this up? Thanks.

They can be very build specific. They can be made to perform well, but its also 2X the carbs to tune....

If you have a healthy and somewhat warmed over SB,, you should have no trouble running duel carbs. I run a mechanical 6pack where all three squirters dump at once and it's fine. It will probably be more forgiving with a auto that has a bit of a stall then a manual.

Here's mine on engine break in;
[ame]http://youtu.be/YRJC6v0RPTg[/ame]

E-Z-P-Z, nice and EZ!
'73 Cuda
11-1 Edelbrck headed 360 w/RPM AG, 750, 1-3/4 headers.
Twin 600 AFB's. Solid cam @ [email protected]. 4spd/4.10's
Modified D-64

Here's mine on engine break in;
http://youtu.be/YRJC6v0RPTg

E-Z-P-Z, nice and EZ!

Nice! That's the Eddy D66, right? Those are Performer 500cfm carbs, or 600s? Also, did you have to port the D66 to match the 340/360 heads or is this the large port version (if there is such a thing?)
Also, looks like you are running a progressive linkage. Are the plenums connected on the manifold?
Your buddy makes me nervous as hell with that sweatshirt pull-string swingin' around in the breeze....like a hanging waiting for a place to happen!

Capt., re read my reply for half your answers.
No port matching was done on the intake that is a dual plane. Which means the ole und are not connected.

The biggest problem I see with a 2 x 4 carb setup is most people take a near stock motor and then throw a pair of 750 's on it and lug it around town and wonder why it washed the rings out or they have so much gas in their oil and spin a bearing and blame it on the 2 x 4 setup

My self I am looking for a 2 x4 setup but I want it for the eye appeal
My 360 is capable of using it plus I would use a pair of 450's on it

My 360 is capable of using it plus I would use a pair of 450's on it

Which 450's?
I've been told by those who run them that Holleys won't fit...even sideways....on the Offy manifolds. I would assume the same for the Eddy manifolds?

Yep, your right, no Holley's on the Edelbrck.
The biggest problem with too big of a carb(s) is velocity when you wack it open.
Washing down the cylinders is a jetting issue to start with follwed buy getting it all to burn.
You can put a huge carb on a small engine and it will work. If you jet it properly, it'll never "wash down the cylinders"

But of course getting that big carb to actually work half way decent on a way to small engine is a challenge.

I've ran tunnel rams for years on my small blocks. from stock 360's to 440'' small blocks. on my 360'', I ran 2-450 holleys. on my 440'', I have 2-650's on there now but soon to be 750's.

don't over carb (2-750's) on lower hp engines.

The tunnel Rams should have no problem mounting the Holley's. In line dual plane dual quad intakes often have an issue with the Holey's due to limited room. Even sideways mounted.

Many years back I was in a '70 Charger w/ a 360 tunnel ram. He had 2-450's up top and it ran real nice. 5 of us in the car were taken by the power this thing whipped out.

I don't mind a tunnel ram but they stick up too high to close the hood......:eek:ops:

Love the duel quad look. hade one set up once and loved it. It was a old Offenhouser 360 degree single plane, The carbs were AFB's, one from a 56 Cheby and one from a 57 Buick, but the same carb, rated at 600 I think. It ran like stink!!! Progressive linkage . half throttle gave you four, 3/4 the way down you got all eight. What a sweet sound!!! Run the car up to about 70 mph then give her all eight. They all said it was to much carb but they changed their mind when they say it run.

-
Back