Do green bearings move the wheel out?

-
Not that I noticed, based on the spatial relationship between the brake drum and the backing plate.

They can’t change anything significantly in either direction. If they did, your drum brakes wouldn’t fit, because the axle flange offset doesn’t change.

There’s a little bit of variation there, because the tapered bearings are adjustable. But that’s just bearing clearance, it’s not much.

***edit***

Looks like @mvh treed me!

I've installed several sets of green bearings through the years and never noticed a difference, either. Nor have I ever seen it in print or heard it talked about.

The change from small bolt pattern axles to large bolt pattern axles does move the axle face out about 1/4 inch per side due to the wider brakes.

The change from small bolt pattern axles to large bolt pattern axles does move the axle face out about 1/4 inch per side due to the wider brakes.

True, but you can put green bearings on either style of axle and the bearings don’t really effect the axle flange location, at least not much beyond axle bearing tolerances

I was told this car has the old style bearings.. So I am going to put a Roller bearing axle in and see what room I have then... Hard to pay a shop to cut 3/4 " off the tube and reweld a flange on..

If u get your bearings from doctor diff u don’t need to remove the center block. Also if you’re putting on rear discs u need green bearings to keel the axles from moving side ways. Kim

I've never seen any difference. I have seen on this forum where it was said you couldn't use green bearings in an old tapered axle housing but I put an 8 3/4 housing out of a 1963 Fury in a 1974 Duster using flange type axles and the green bearings work fine in it.

If u get your bearings from doctor diff u don’t need to remove the center block. Also if you’re putting on rear discs u need green bearings to keel the axles from moving side ways. Kim

You don’t need green bearings to run rear disks. Some kits require them, but DoctorDiffs rear disk brake kits can be used with the factory adjustable tapered bearings.

I run DoctorDiff’s 11.7” rear disks with tapered bearings. It’s right in the description of his brake kits.

Learned something today. Thanks for the info 72. Kim

Honestly, the more I’ve thought about this over the years the more I think the green bearing “requirement” is just laziness/lack of imagination/liability limiting on the part of the manufacturers of some of the rear disk brake kits.

Because all bearings have tolerances, it’s not like green bearings are a zero tolerance bearing. Granted, the spec is different compared to the adjustable tapered bearings, but there’s still a clearance spec.

And disk brakes work just fine in the front, and there’s lots of tapered bearings for front spindles and that’s technically an adjustable clearance too. It just depends on how tight you make the spindle nuts and there’s a limit to that.

The only real difference is that the bearing clearance is adjustable. But even then, a lot of the calipers are floating calipers anyway. Even with a fixed caliper, what are we talking about for movement? The bearing clearance. That’s it.

Sure, after you install the axles and adjust the bearings you might need to add a shim to center up the caliper over the rotor (DoctorDiff kits supply shims to do that), but it shouldn’t be all that much anyway. But really that’s about all we’re talking about.

And with disks the bearing tolerance and that little bit of end play on the hub/axle is how the pads get knocked back anyway. I think it’s more about the manufacturers either carrying over the same style of bearing from the donor car that supplies the calipers their kit, not designing their brackets so that the caliper location can be shimmed, or just not wanting to deal with adding shims and instructions to their kits. Or dealing with the fallout if someone doesn’t install them properly. But those are just my thoughts, I suppose there could be calipers out there that can’t tolerate the slightly larger bearing clearance spec.

-
Back