Do I need new calipers?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Just this past week my dad and I replaced the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Everything was also blead. I still have the same issue as before but not near as bad. When slowley coasting to a stop, right before the car should completely stop it will still move forward just slightly. Pedal travel is smooth though. But before we raplaced the master cylinder I had the same problem. Except the pedal would become very stiff. Like my power assist went away before the car would stop. But now it's smooth all the way down. What we are thinking is maybe the calipers are not quite holding right before the car should stop. As if they slightly let go. The calipers on the car are the originals. Is it possible I need new ones? I can get them rather cheap. Im no brake expert and this is a rather minor issue. Are calipers hard to replace or is it an easy job? Any reccomendations as to what brand?

All info is appreciated. Thanks

If your calipers are really almost 40 years old I would get new ones for no other reason than that they are almost 40 years old.

The job is simple... Just like changing the front pads but you un-hook the hose.

You will need to bleed the system.

Oh.... If your hoses are 40 years old, its well past time to replace those, don't forget the one in the rear.

Hoses that are deteriorating inside can also cause weird peddle feel.

We are talking about the most important part of your car here.

I agree with replacing the calipers. The pistons could be starting to seize up in them (been there).

Whats the best way to remove the old hoses? Im afraid of busting the brake line. It happened on both rear drums when we replaced the wheel cylinders. The line was froze and just snapped off. Any experience in doing this without major issues. Or any good tips.

Thanks

The trick to removing a rusted/seized brake line fitting is to use a propane torch, which can be found at any hardware store, Walmart, ect. and apply some heat to the fitting. While it's still warm, crack it loose. Works everytime for me.

A slow steady pull with a end wrench will just round the hex and twist the line. I start with vise grips and knock the crap out of them. Once the threads break loose an end wrench will do the out and back. If you dont have the right size line wrench you may want to do the final tighten with the visegrips also.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. My dad has a propane torch. Soon i'll probably order the new calipers and buy new hose as well.

Thanks

Here's a neat trick for all who are getting lines loose: melt a little candle wax into the fitting and let it harden. Acts like a penetrating oil and torch all in one. The fitting should come loose like it was new without the "maybe" of overheating the line and melting through.

-
Back