Do I need the dust boot....

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
The 904 trans in my '67 Dart has the rubber dust boot on the end of the tailshaft, covering some of the slip yoke. Is that dust boot actually required, and is there another seal inside the tailshaft? Can I remove the dust boot part without causing any damage anywhere?

Thanks all.

727tailshaftseal-newoemmopar-8560_small.jpg

The dustboot is part of the actual seal.
Some replacement seal come without the dustboot. I'd rather have one with the boot on a daily driven car.

The dustboot is part of the actual seal.
Some replacement seal come without the dustboot. I'd rather have one with the boot on a daily driven car.
Thanks. Cars' not a daily driver. The reason I ask is I'm changing from 7.25 rear to 8.75 and have a driveshaft thats supposed to fit...measures correct. When I let the rear end hang on the springs, it compresses the boot a bit against the front of the slip yoke (doesn't seem to be hitting the end of the tailshaft). Now if I jack up the rear end as if the car is sitting on its tires, there's about 1/4 " clearance between the yoke and the dust boot. Not sure if that's enough or......

Last edited:
1/2" play.
So why would that be a problem? Sound good enough to me.
As long as the yoke doesn't bottom out in the trans it should be OK.

1/2" play.
So why would that be a problem? Sound good enough to me.
As long as the yoke doesn't bottom out in the trans it should be OK.

OK, thanks all....I guess I was just being over-carefull. After inspecting the old 7.25 driveshaft yoke, the boot seemed to running in the same location as the new yoke.

Thanks. Cars' not a daily driver. The reason I ask is I'm changing from 7.25 rear to 8.75 and have a driveshaft thats supposed to fit...measures correct. When I let the rear end hang on the springs, it compresses the boot a bit against the front of the slip yoke (doesn't seem to be hitting the end of the tailshaft). Now if I jack up the rear end as if the car is sitting on its tires, there's about 1/4 " clearance between the yoke and the dust boot. Not sure if that's enough or......

Be sure you are fitting the driveshaft with the rear under load, NOT with the rear hanging. If it fit's perfect while the rear is hanging chances are it's to tight under load.

Be sure you are fitting the driveshaft with the rear under load, NOT with the rear hanging. If it fit's perfect while the rear is hanging chances are it's to tight under load.
Actually, it's the other way around...when the rear hangs on the springs, the dust boot is compressed a bit, but when the rear is jacked up as if it's sitting on its tires, there's about a 1/4" gap from boot to yoke.

-
Back