Do i need this gasket for oil pump

-
dont run one at all

Yep, no gasket.

Same here.

^ This X2

Why no gasket? The pump surface and mating surface of the rear main cap are both machine surfaces. I never use one, never have. That paper thin gasket ain't gonna seal crap anyway. And if you do have a minuscule leak where is it going? Back in the pan. Now I'm sure I'll hear about Oil Pressure losses? The entire oil system is a controlled leak!

...........I've never used 1 in 40 plus years............like RRR says never seen 1 factory.........kim........

Agreed, never use them.

If you do and it decides to blow out, welcome to no or minimal/reduced oil pressure. Seen that gasket let loose on a dyno.

The risk does not outweigh any benefit that crappy gasket might provide.

my block and heads are machined and I run head gaskets, and water pump gasket, and timing cover, etc. stock there is no oil pump gasket on a small block, there is one on a big block. exhaust manifolds get by without gaskets, headers use gaskets. just because the oil pump gasket is thin does not make it garbage, use a little adhesive on it and let the engine warm up some before U rev it

Use them at your own peril. When it fails, it's an engine killer.

A BB oil pump is external. They fail too, just you KNOW about it as there is a big mess under the car.

Roy you feel better that someone brought up oil pressure... :)

if the very thin gasket fails it will not be a killer, and I look at my pressure gauge so I will know about it. never blown 1 in 35 years

All i know is melling supplies them with there pumps and if you go buy a stock pump at auto parts store a gasket comes with them

All i know is melling supplies them with there pumps and if you go buy a stock pump at auto parts store a gasket comes with them

Its probably to make up for the 1 pump out of a 100 that the surface is not %100 flat.
I always use them, cheap insurance to me, and I also tear every pump apart and check the clearances before I use them.

Roy you feel better that someone brought up oil pressure... :)

Now I feel better. One thing is very clear after all this debating, If you don't use them, we won't. If you use them you will from now on. I don't think one side is going to influence the other.

Now I feel better. One thing is very clear after all this debating, If you don't use them, we won't. If you use them you will from now on. I don't think one side is going to influence the other.

Yep, at least I only have to worry about the cap or pump housing casting failing/falling off. If that happens, I likely have a lot bigger issue. LOL

Happy Holidays!

Its probably to make up for the 1 pump out of a 100 that the surface is not %100 flat.
I always use them, cheap insurance to me, and I also tear every pump apart and check the clearances before I use them.

It's funny you say you do all that and no mention of making the mounting surfaces flat. I have inspected and bluprinted every oil pump I have ever used with the exception of a few early on and I always include making the mounting surfaces flat. They are almost always out on a new pump. A simple file straightens it right out.

The oil will follow the path of least resistance. If the surfaces are flat that path will be the main oil galley from the pump.

brown paper grocery bag and a pair of scissors works for me.

And it worked for the "Unknown comic" & all sports fans ashamed of there team. Also doubles for hard cover books as a protector. Grammar School days.

I always include making the mounting surfaces flat. They are almost always out on a new pump. A simple file straightens it right out.
X2, drawfiling with a fine file. (I do use the gasket tho!) A very thin one

-
Back