do i need to restrict oil to lifters with roller cam

-

Nokke

Reaction score
hello i am building a 408 stroker with competition solid roller cam with comp cams 843-16 lifters with holes for pushrod oiling do i need to restrict the oil in some way for the lifters

I did the oiling restriction mod on my motor and also had to bush the lifter bores as my lifters exposed the oil galley at max lift.

i'm using pushrod oiling aswell.

how big is the cam?.

a roller lifter uncovers the the oil galley and oil pressure will drop to zilch, first off you need a aluminum bronze distributor drive gear and hardened shaft. yes you need to block off the oil with a roller cam either by bushing the lifter bores,or a lot of drilling and plumbing. to much to get into here, on the drillind procedures. take care

a roller lifter uncovers the the oil galley and oil pressure will drop to zilch, first off you need a aluminum bronze distributor drive gear and hardened shaft. yes you need to block off the oil with a roller cam either by bushing the lifter bores,or a lot of drilling and plumbing. to much to get into here, on the drillind procedures. take care

Cooooorect!!!!!!

Some modern roller cams no longer require a bronze gear and restricted oil passages, know what you have, call the grinder!

If you need to restrict the oil galley and use a bronze gear, this procedure is out lined in the MoPar engines book for small blocks.

You'll drill the oil passage to size and hammer in a tube that you pean each lifter bore with a peening tool.

Otherwise, you'll need to bush each lifter bore, which is a great way of doing things. But expensive. I would also add to the list of things to do on this mod a check of each lifter bore and straighten as needed.

Very expensive when it gets added up. But worth it!

I'm running a Comp Cam soild roller with stock lifter bores. Depending on the setup you don't have to bush the bores.

Chuck

From Comp Cams:

"The new COMP Cams® Pro Magnum™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifters are true drop-in replacement components and do not require any type of lifter bore or other engine modification prior to use. "

Here is another statement from their Chrysler tech notes:

"Even though COMP Cams® roller lifters will work without oil system or lifter bore modifications, it is highly recommended that on any racing engine the lifter bores be modified. This will ensure that in the case of a pushrod failure and the lifter coming out of the bore, adequate oil pressure will be maintained. The proper procedure for this modification can be found in any of the materials available directly from Chrysler, or any top engine builder can perform this modification."

Here is another statement from their Chrysler tech notes:

"Even though COMP Cams® roller lifters will work without oil system or lifter bore modifications, it is highly recommended that on any racing engine the lifter bores be modified. This will ensure that in the case of a pushrod failure and the lifter coming out of the bore, adequate oil pressure will be maintained. The proper procedure for this modification can be found in any of the materials available directly from Chrysler, or any top engine builder can perform this modification."

I wish they (CompCams) would come out and say exactly what mods they suggest & for what racing applications instead of just "recommending that the lifter bores be modified."

thank you for all the info i get. the camshaft im going to drive with is a mechanical roller xr286r with 576-582 lift and 248-254 0,50 duration together with the 843-16 lifters and td machines rockers and i have bought the mopar tube & peentool kit now to restrict the oil

If you are going to turn the motor a constant high rpm you had better research the oiling system carefully or trouble awaits you.

-
Back