do i really need 3" exhaust

-
If you have a single strap gas tank like my '67 Cuda I'm not sure you
could fit a 3" pipe on the passenger side. I'm running 2-1/2"
and it's a tight fit in that area where the strap attaches to the
frame.

I've got the single strap gas tank, big tires and a narrowed rear end with rubber brake hoses in the way. We are going to try to snake 3" tail pipes through there. I bought some flexible ducting at Home Depot and some expanding foam insulation, to build mock ups to send to the pipe bender. I'll start a thread when we get to that process. We are building an engine similar to the original poster's so my answer would be YES.

I have the same set up and TTi step headers. I originally had 2 1/2" exhaust and it rapped at slow speeds and on deceleration. My brother always said I sounded like a Chevy. I went to rolled 3" and added an H pipe. It sounds better and no more rapping. I can't say that I felt any difference in power though. I like my sound a lot better now.

I ordered the 3" X pipe from TTI this week, I also bought a set of the smallest muffler I could find. Here is a pic
261322336395_2.jpg
I plan on putting a 90* on the outlet and bringing the pipe out in front of the rear tires.
mbr-t5120_s.jpg

This is the outlet I plan on using. I expect this will be very loud. I wanted to run a tailpipe but with the springs narrowed I know the 3" wont fit so this is my only real option. I am not a big fan of having the exhaust coming out the side but I am hoping it has a sound similar to the sidepipes on my 72 383 stroked corvette. Any one else ever use these mufflers? I bought them from ebay, they are made by performance Dynamics. they were priced right @ $50 shipped.
Rod

I have the same set up and TTi step headers. I originally had 2 1/2" exhaust and it rapped at slow speeds and on deceleration. My brother always said I sounded like a Chevy. I went to rolled 3" and added an H pipe. It sounds better and no more rapping. I can't say that I felt any difference in power though. I like my sound a lot better now.

Just put 5" on my truck. Had 4" on the last one and the 5" is substantially quiter and less aggressive.

I can tell you from the racers perspective....I have a small street roller in my 410 stroker (248/254), ported Edelbrocks, pump gas friendly compression (10.8:1), 750dp, and I run 3" exhaust that exits just before the rear tire. I had Flowmasters on there for the past 14 years, but they recently rusted out so I'm in the process of fabbing up some Dynomax Race Bullets to take the place of the Flowmasters.

My car DOES go faster when I remove the exhaust. I can't see using a 2.5" exhaust on a healthy stoker motor, it would choke out a fair amount of power for sure....not sure how much though. If you don't race though, then you probably won't care.

FWIW, my stroker is probably a little north of 550hp and runs mid 10's in the 1/4.

My x- pipe arrived yesterday and it looks like very nice quality. Of course it will be months before I am going to be ready for it but I hate waiting to order stuff. A question that I would like to know is will using aluminized piping will it sound different then the standard steel? Also what life expectantzy will it have compare to steel, longer or shorter.
Thanks, Rodney

My x- pipe arrived yesterday and it looks like very nice quality. Of course it will be months before I am going to be ready for it but I hate waiting to order stuff. A question that I would like to know is will using aluminized piping will it sound different then the standard steel? Also what life expectantzy will it have compare to steel, longer or shorter.
Thanks, Rodney

Shouldn't sound any different, coated or non coated. The life expectancy of aluminized ,is pretty good.

-
Back