Do I really save much?

-

Scamper

Reaction score
I have a stock 360 needing a rebuild. Do I save much money by the time I upgrade to higher compression pistons and I assume better rods or buy a stroker kit keeping in mind that all work will be professionally done and not by myself. Being old and cheap (FRUGAL) is it better to get my cast heads opened to 2.02 and mild port or drop the big bucks for edelbrocks?
I was going to do my 440 but the cost factor doesn't make sense compared with staying smallblock. Would a freshen up on my 727 work or will I need to upgrade keeping in mind costs?
Enough for now, this is gonna be a busy spring lol
Thanks

Depends how much you want to spend, I did a 360 with a good set of pistons, shot peened the rods, and a worked over set of J heads, balanced the whole assembly, it ran about 9.5 to 1 compression. The 360 is a great motor from the factory, only problem was the low compression ratio. I ran mid to high 12's with 391 gears, high 11's on the bottle, my heads were worked over pretty good though, but I was probably half the price of the stroker.

Start comparing parts cost.

For heads I'd go with the RHS X heads, better than the Edelbrocks from a performance standpoint with no additional work to them. Check with member OU812, here on the board for his set up, about $1400, and they kick the snot out of OOTB Ede's. More than a few out there and they make 500HP on a stroker without a problem.

Since you are in Canada, who knows what the cross border cost might be.

I'd say check the prices of what it takes to make it a stroker vs. keeping it a 360 and rebuilding it. BTW: if you change pistons you should get it balanced.

As for the heads I agree with crackedback. The RHS heads are a great bargain. You'll spend almost as much getting old heads rebuilt with big valves and porting and they still won't perform like the RHS heads.

I am going to compare prices. The heads I will look at and see what they cost up here.
The main thing I was thinking was 2k for stroker kit which comes with crank rods pistons etc versus buying pistons to get compression up and getting new rods am I really saving much? Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend,but my current build a '77 360 built with Edelbrock heads has gone 11.70's naturally aspirated (of coarse) for a cost of just under $5k including the head work:thumbup::thumbup:

Stroker will run ya' another $3k-$5k depending on what you want....i've gone both routes..

I have a credit card budget (there is a limit) up here the block alone with machining etc is 1500 + 2000 for a stroker kit 650 to assemble if I go smallblock stroker kit I have more useable used parts and if I just build a 360 I still have to buy pistons and rods, so what am I really saving?

If you want to save $$ you have to do the work yourself.

I agree and will do what I can but with this much money going into the engine, for 650 I will let a far more experienced person do it rather than take a chance on damaging my first time out

I have a credit card budget (there is a limit) up here the block alone with machining etc is 1500 + 2000 for a stroker kit 650 to assemble if I go smallblock stroker kit I have more useable used parts and if I just build a 360 I still have to buy pistons and rods, so what am I really saving?

You'll save on the price of pistons i know that the pistons in my 360 cost $269.00 the ones in my 416 cost $550.00 plus..you'll make most of your power from the cam and heads you choose..my vote is for Edelbrocks if you want to give this guy a shout Ryan j. @shadydell speed shop he's one of the best in the business when it comes to small block heads and can recommend a good cam to go with your setup...

-
Back