Do it yourself interiors!

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Since I am on vacation (staycation) I decided to knock out the interior on the Duster. This is no small task as it is COMPLETELY gutted.I got the seats mounted yesterday and was able to sit in the car for the first time last night... in the garage... listened to Rush (the band not the commentator!) and had a beer. Man, that was nice. Of course, they are coming right back out to put the carpet in.

Went and bought 4 yards of black marine grade vinyl today and some high density foam. The foam is for my dashpad. This ought to be interesting as I have not done one before! I have Masonite to make all trim panels then will add some thin foam and vinyl those as well.

Any tips on gluing all of this together? I am going to try 3M headliner adhesive since I know it glues foam backed headliner material. Also some contact cement for where the vinyl wraps around metal and needs a strong bond. Am I on the right track here?

P.S. Some really pretty ladies hang out at Joann's Fabrics on the weekdays!!! :) Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Follow the directions on the can! I did something similar on my Duster door and side panels. I used the original cardboard backing plates though. Spray one side, spray the other side, let it tack up, and press it together. I then flipped it upside down and applied glue to the backside. After it tacked up, I folded the edges over and used wooden clothes pins to hold it while the glue set up. Wooden clothes pins are cheap so you can use plenty. Mine were side by side all the way around.

Sorry, no pics of the clothes pins.

Cley
Panels 1.jpg
Panels 2.jpg
Panels 3.jpg

I use 3m #90 (High Strength) spray and it works really well for this kind of stuff.
Never had it come loose in 5 years.

I want to see some sewing of pleats etc.:)
Back in the late 70's you could buy the material with fake pleats already sewn (melted) into the vinyl. My dad and I redid the interior of my old Duster with some. It turned out okay for a 16 year old's first car.

Back in the late 70's you could buy the material with fake pleats already sewn (melted) into the vinyl. My dad and I redid the interior of my old Duster with some. It turned out okay for a 16 year old's first car.
I was reading a no sew interior thread on another site and they still make these. I`m going to try my hand on door panels on the 52.

I did my 53 Windsor door panels myself. I used vinyl and tweed over closed cell foam on masonite panels.

duQNT6x.jpg

nX5einA.jpg

PG0CTuY.jpg

0YvysLJ.jpg

R7bGFRk.jpg

R7bGFRk.jpg

I am in the process of redoing my interior right now as well. I have the dash pad and one door panel done. So far so good. I used the ultra heavy duty contact cement as an adhesive. I am also leaving the old vinyl in place and only gluing the melted seams on the face of the door panels then wrapping the edges and gluing them. The dash pad took 2 weeks of off and on work. I used the old foam and filled in the bad spots with HD foam. Careful there as it only takes a little to much to make a bump in the new vinyl. I found I had to cut the new vinyl to make it wrap properly at the ends. I used the overlap method of cutting to get a perfect edge and then filled the seam with black ink. It should look O.K. once it is in the car. One hell of a lot better than what I had anyway. Total cost is going to be in the $30.00 range to fix up the whole interior. This does not include new seats or carpet as my existing ones are real good.

Jack

-
Back