Do Magnaflow's wear out?

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I've had these

MAGNAFLOW 3.5 X 7IN. OVAL STRAIGHT-THROUGH PERFORMANCE EXHAUST MUFFLER 11132​

on my car for about 6 years with around 35,000 -40,000 miles on them. I've noticed this summer that they seem louder especially when taking off. Wondering if there's baffles in there that eventually wear out? I love the sound going down the road, just seems a noisier when taking off.

Magnaflow mufflers do not have baffles. They have a tube with perforated holes and a lot of 'matting' packed in there for sound deadening. If a piece of the tubing inside broke, it's possible that some of the matting has deteriorated or disintegrated over time. That could account for the additional noise.

I had a dynomax ultra Flo on my daily driver jeep. I believe they have a similar design, basically a glass pack muffler but the inner tube is at an angle so the exhaust flow isn't completely straight. Mine only lasted me about 60k miles before the welds around the inlet/outlet tubes started cracking and would make a significantly louder exhaust note when the muffler was cold on start ups, and under acceleration. I welded over the cracks a few times but then my catalytic converter recently got stolen so that was my opportunity to swap it out with a new unit.

Magnaflow mufflers shouldn’t wear out, they have a lifetime warranty.

Not sure how the warranty works on the magnaflow products but my dynomax come with a "lifetime" warranty as well. Reading the fine print, I would have had to send it back to summit (where I purchased them many years prior) where they would then send it back to dynomax who would then determine if i hadn't voided my warranty somehow, then they would send me a new unit assuming all was well. I had read from multiple sources online that this whole process could take weeks or maybe even a few months. That was longer than I could afford to wait and have my daily driver parked so I decided to repair the cracks myself, which funnily enough voided my lifetime warranty on the spot.
I knew what I was doing, and accepted that I couldn't afford to wait out the whole process of getting my broken muffler replaced under warranty.

Magnaflow mufflers shouldn’t wear out, they have a lifetime warranty.
LMAO. That sure as heck doesn't mean they shouldn't wear out. Any muffler with "mesh" and fiberglass in it will burn out over time. A warranty has zero to do with whether or not something goes bad. All that means is you can get another one.

If you want a muffler that has the best chance of lasting the longest get some kind of baffled muffler, like a Flowmaster. They generally last a very long time.

Build your own with galvanized steel or stainless steel.

LMAO. That sure as heck doesn't mean they shouldn't wear out. Any muffler with "mesh" and fiberglass in it will burn out over time. A warranty has zero to do with whether or not something goes bad. All that means is you can get another one.
Sure it does, I’ve read it on the interweb.
:lol:

Most Magnaflows have the core wrapped with stainless steel wool and then surrounded by basalt or fiberglass or ceramic fiber and as long as the st. st. it is in place, they should not charge too drastically in sound.

This shows the st. st. sock that wraps the perforated or louvered tubing in magnaflows and other similar mufflers.

1695345116578.jpeg

Not just mufflers. So many companies now a days make a person jump thru so many hoops to obtain satisfaction on a warranty it makes it not worth it

I have a magnaflow on my wife's Durango (I'm not a flowmaster fan) it's been on there 4-5 years and it's starting to come apart. I don't remember where I got it. I'm gonna be looking for a replacement soon, probably either replace it with the same or else the dynomax ultra flo

-
Back