Do older rear brakes fit?

-

PWdart

Reaction score
I want to change my 69 dart to 10x2 1\2 brakes on the rear. I can get brakes off of a 63 savoy. I crossed some part numbers to a 1969 roadrunner to see if they would fit the more modern stuff. The drums are the same but the shoes and hardware kit are one number off. Are the backing plates the same so I can just order the newer shoes and hardware and it will all fit? I know about the different axle flange offset for an a body .that will get changed with aftermarket axles

The 63 Savoy uses the old two piece tapered axles. They also have a housing end all their own, so I don't believe they are interchangeable.

As Rusty stated above the backing plates are different on the taper axle. The drums are reusable after cutting the swedge in lug studs. Any 1965-up to mid 70's 10 1/2'' backing plates are usable. Not sure of the year that the wheel cylinders changed ( the mounting point hole was more round) to a squareish design. Maybe when the later 8 1/4 axle was more common than the 8 3/4 went away. Shoes changed the mounting of the parking brake lever to from a round hole clip design to the hooked lever (maybe late 70's ?) Hardware kits may or may not have all the same parts and maybe the reason the change in part number.
As you stated the Axle flange to backing plate from a body 10x 1 3/4'' axle to the 10x 2 1/2'' distance is different.
At one time A body conversion axles small bolt to big bolt pattern 4 1/2'' were designed for the 10x 1 3/4 shoes .
I believe all made are now are for the 2 1/2'' shoe design.

Last edited:
I want to change my 69 dart to 10x2 1\2 brakes on the rear. I can get brakes off of a 63 savoy. I crossed some part numbers to a 1969 roadrunner to see if they would fit the more modern stuff. The drums are the same but the shoes and hardware kit are one number off. Are the backing plates the same so I can just order the newer shoes and hardware and it will all fit? I know about the different axle flange offset for an a body .that will get changed with aftermarket axles
The easiest ones to find and use are the '65-up B and E body brakes. Just get them as a complete matched set, as some of the individual hardware parts can be hard to find. Your existing E-brake cables should work by re-adjusting them.

-
Back