Do you have a group of car friends you wrench with?

-
No not anymore. Just my son and I. My shop is my place to go unwind, tinker and think. Not saying I wouldn't just really doesn't happen. I used to years ago when I was doing mud trucks.

This is a picture of me (black Mopar shirt on right), (from left to right) my buddies, Larry (64mopar), Greg and finally Bob. We have known each other since the mid 70s and have been working on Mopars since then. We were just working in my garage on Larry's '64 Barracuda last night. We regularly work together every Saturday. By the way all 3 are brothers (I'm the adopted brother). It's great having good friends with a common hobby.

IMG_20190712_094222876_HDR.jpg

None of my close friends are into cars. I got a couple car buddies that help with questions or advice about local vendors. But I really like my alone time in the garage anyway.
I have met a few good guys at my local track and we agree that we should get together and do car **** but it has yet to happen!
My son and I have started a truck project too but he is a busy kid so we dont get to do too much on that yet. Maybe this summer!
If it weren't for the help I get on FABO I'd have a pretty lonely car life. My wife hates the whole car thing and is pissed about our truck project too, but I foresee the Duster and the truck outlasting her anyway.
Really my auto hobby and my kids keep my sanity intact so I'll take it however is happens. Even the car cruise scene is getting better around here. Of course there are some dickwads with their "Bankroll B Bodies" but I can put someone on ignore pretty quickly!
Cley

Do I, no not really. Have a few close friends that I help wrench on their cars, and if I need some help I know who to call. The majority of my friends can **** up an anvil with a rubber mallet. Their mechanical abilities lay in opening a beer upside down with their knifes and popping the top and sucking the contents in less than two seconds. The type that shows up anytime with a half a six pack ring of warm beer and ask if you want to party. Don’t get me wrong, they are pure uncensored entertainment a laugh-a-minute type of good hearted people. For my close friends my shop is open 24/7, and for the entertainment I tell them to call first or anytime after 3:00, after I put up my tools…..

Other than my Dad nope..... Lost my 2 gearheads years ago (Rip Stevie and Dickie)and abandoned the cling-on group. I did help out with a Small tire car a couple years back but too much drinking for me so it's back to the solo cave for me and that's OK too.....

I would probably be open to helping a young kid find their mechanical spirit but I don't look for it and will probably never show up. Working on equipment all day is more than enough wrenching for me most of the time.....

JW
Send me a PM sometime if you need a hand with something. I'm in Short Pump. I'm young and ignorant and willing to learn.

Good thread here,

I am very lucky to have some good friends as well as a younger brother and my youngest son (23) that are really into cars and are really very good mechanics and body guys. I have known some friends for thirty plus years and we still enjoy hangiIng out working on cars or just bs.

I have met some great guys on this page as well, Brian and Casey have been an immense help to me in the last year and are always willing to jump in and make sure the duster is running or working top notch!

It is great to see my son and several of his friends interested in and owning old muscle or street rods and learning to work on and take care of them! A few pictures from a get together at my place with a few car buddies.

BE424685-9F66-4405-838B-2CD17DAAF9EA.jpeg

D2716876-87D9-42EF-A5A3-178A89066A66.jpeg

5B3084A3-3456-4D8F-9C6A-572DDC9578D3.jpeg

EEAA742F-7EB5-48D1-83A0-C1833DB7F29F.jpeg

E50FF2F3-4C02-4494-80F0-F8EE035358E8.jpeg

2E39F3F6-6B03-4EC6-8A92-236A1CE5124A.jpeg

Last edited:
I really get where your coming from, I moved away from were all my car buddies are, I miss how we used to get together and work on each other's cars my brother included, haven't met many Mopar guys where I live now, I've been here 15 years already it seems when you get older it's harder to meet car guy's like it used to be, I was also in a Mopar club with my buddies and my brother back in the late 80's and 90's but it faded away. Having someone around was what made it so fun, I work on mine by myself now. I do have a Mopar buddy next county over from me I go help with his cars and trucks, but it's a one way deal he never visits me or helps with my car, I enjoy going there it breaks my boredom, I sure miss having a good friend close by to hang out and do car stuff with, like you said it seems lonely nowadays, I'll never forget how fun it was hanging out and getting something fired up with a bunch of friends around.

I got you guys, that's pretty much it.

No close friends, hell no friends, no car buds. The wife will come out if I need her to pump the brakes, or hold a wrench for a minute, but she couldn't care less about my old car. She'll help for a minute, then be like, "am I done now?" She is at least fairly impressed seeing the Dart go from what it was to what it is now.
Tried joining a Mopar club for a while, but it didn't go well. Too much like high school. A click of "cool guys" who will only talk to each other and not the uncool people. After about 6 months we realized that this club does nothing except the monthly meetings. Fewer and fewer of the cool guys would show up every month. So at a meeting where like 3 of us showed up, we started making some plans to do a cruise, and then lunch kinda thing.
The next meeting where the president and more people showed, the Pres blew a gasket and accused me and wifey of trying to take over his club. Got very awkward after that and they all stopped coming to the meetings, after a while it was like us, and 1 or 2 of the other "uncool" people. We dropped out like everyone else. Who needs the drama. Just wanted to meet some other Mopar guys and hang out.

I got you guys, that's pretty much it.

No close friends, hell no friends, no car buds. The wife will come out if I need her to pump the brakes, or hold a wrench for a minute, but she couldn't care less about my old car. She'll help for a minute, then be like, "am I done now?" She is at least fairly impressed seeing the Dart go from what it was to what it is now.
Tried joining a Mopar club for a while, but it didn't go well. Too much like high school. A click of "cool guys" who will only talk to each other and not the uncool people. After about 6 months we realized that this club does nothing except the monthly meetings. Fewer and fewer of the cool guys would show up every month. So at a meeting where like 3 of us showed up, we started making some plans to do a cruise, and then lunch kinda thing.
The next meeting where the president and more people showed, the Pres blew a gasket and accused me and wifey of trying to take over his club. Got very awkward after that and they all stopped coming to the meetings, after a while it was like us, and 1 or 2 of the other "uncool" people. We dropped out like everyone else. Who needs the drama. Just wanted to meet some other Mopar guys and hang out.

I feel like this happens all to often. I saw it in certain vw/audi groups. I dont understand why some people think they are better than others, but what ever their loss right!

I'm always happy with 1-3 close friends, buddies that you can wrench with, go shooting with or even just hang out bbq and watch some hockey/football. I'm fine being the "uncool" guy but I'm also really good at telling people to F*** O***, be an A**H*** and call them on the bs. Speaking of which my wife sent me this picture the other day because it's me in a nutshell haha.

received_116455039697446.png

I would probably be open to helping a young kid find their mechanical spirit but I don't look for it and will probably never show up.

I would LOVE to help out a young Mopar guy. I have all sorts of spare parts to get cars going and since I don't have kids, I have nobody to pass along my experiences. I ws really hoping that my Brother in Law would have the same level of interest as I do. I helped him buy a 72 Duster in 2007 and it sits out back while he is 800 miles away. He lived here for awhile and seemed to be a decent learner. I sort of felt like a Dad that was a high school football star and I had a kid that wasn't nearly as in to the game as I was.

No. Company is distracting. One guy comes around with a beer, thinks that if I’m working on my car, I’m also bench racing. One time, he distracted me to the point where I unknowingly bolted a valve cover over a wire and pinched it. Took me two weeks to find the problem. :BangHead:

-
Back