Do you have a group of car friends you wrench with?

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
Do you have a car club or group of friends where you all get together, wrench on each other's cars, go to meets, race, etc.? Although the FABO and online community is big, most my mopar friends in real life live far away, are +20 years older than me, and I see them all of once or twice a year at Fall or Spring Fling. To be honest, the hobby can get kind of lonely.

Do you have a car club or group of friends where you all get together, wrench on each other's cars, go to meets, race, etc.? Although the FABO and online community is big, most my mopar friends in real life live far away, are +20 years older than me, and I see them all of once or twice a year at Fall or Spring Fling. To be honest, the hobby can get kind of lonely.
Yep. There's a group within a hour drive away. We get together for local and national shows.

I had 3 good friends that we worked together and they all passed,Now im having a hard time trying to get back into the hobby.anyone else have had this problem.No interest

Most of my friends are not into wrenching them selves, just pay to have it done. And the other ones are Chevy guys, so there's no love there.

Not any more don't take this wrong but most that I use to hang with are "Pretty" boys and don't like a spec of dust maybe it's me just getting old and grumpy

Mostly it is my wife and I when she has the time. We both work off hours. I have 1 goodfella I wrench with when we can.

I had 3 good friends that we worked together and they all passed,Now im having a hard time trying to get back into the hobby.anyone else have had this problem.No interest

Are you part of a club?
That would help a bit.

Not any more don't take this wrong but most that I use to hang with are "Pretty" boys and don't like a spec of dust maybe it's me just getting old and grumpy
I run them rough and rusty so I don’t have to worry.
Lookin like **** and runnin like stink!

Are you part of a club?
That would help a bit.

For sure. I joined a club. Lots of fun. Or start your own.

north Iowa Mopars.jpg

A couple buddies around here,i go to their shop and vise versa.
There is a car club, more about volunteering and fundraising than the hobby itself. I dont have time to volunteer,would rather donate than fundraise.

I have several (8 - 10) "Car Buddies" within 20 miles. We get together, with Our cars, from aprox. the first week of April, until mid - end of October, on Monday evenings, at an area parking lot. - During the cold months, We get together, for lunch, on Mondays, also. - Cars are a variety of brands, and some guys have multiple cars. -- Lots of B S, but fun.

Hell no. No one works on my car but me. That way if I make a error? I have no one to blame but myself. I don't trust my friends anyways.

Hell no. No one works on my car but me. That way if I make a error? I have no one to blame but myself. I don't trust my friends anyways.
Im a self-employed auto mechanic, that’s how i feel about repairing customers cars. My best friend always hangs out and helps, but sometimes wont listen. Causes me extra work, and i feel a greater sense of accomplishment when i do it myself. But i appreciate his help.

I moved around so much in the Air Force...and even after retiring that I have no friends, lol.

Plus, I'm around people all day long at work so I truly enjoy wrenching on my car by myself. It's therapy for me!

I guess I have the best of both worlds. I have numerous friends that are "gittin' dirty" gearheads, but nobody steps on each other's toes. Our garage time in most cases is our "me" time and everyone respects that. Time to focus your mind on the night's work, the next phase of the project. Everybody is available to each other 24/7 at the drop of a hat if needed, but no one forces themselves on you. We're all just a phone call away if you need a hand that the wife can't supply, or if you need to pick someone's brain about something, or just to vent about how stubborn those darn a-arm bushings are being... We all have our allegiances in a different camp (GM, Ford, even a Studebaker guy) but it's never nasty and everyone likes to help when they can and pick up a few tricks along the way. We get together when we can, whether it's at a local show, for coffee, a trip to the junkyard, at one of our shops for a few cold ones, or even for the occasional weekend backyard BBQ & BS session.
I guess between my wife and my friends, I am one lucky man.

I've learned a ton on FABO, but I've got to find a local Mopar guy to learn from. There is a local Mopar club that I need to join. Maybe this year.

The older helper died boy I miss him. The two young hyper replacement pups chew the ends of the screwdrivers off. They also grab things and run and won't give them back. We tried to catch that silver lab and take that stick from him . It wasn't happening. He does the same thing with tools. Everything is a toy in his eyes. Look at him laughing and he knows I can't catch him.

Resized_20180930_155915_3429.jpeg

40193.jpeg

Last edited:
I have three friends I wrench with and race with. Two are mopar guys and one ford guy that I've been building engines for and teaching him what I can. We do some shows together and bs cessions. We are building a Cleveland now. That engine has a lot of potential even if it is a ford.

I greatly enjoy time working on the car by myself, but I'd be open to developing a Mopar buddy to work with. Many jobs are tremendously faster with two people working on them.

I greatly enjoy time working on the car by myself, but I'd be open to developing a Mopar buddy to work with. Many jobs are tremendously faster with two people working on them.
And a hoist. Lol

-
Back